Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RubellaGolda
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
IP: Logged
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (0)  
RoboBob3000 wrote:
I believe that "sesquipedalian" and "hippopotomonstrosesquipedalian" mean the same thing, which leads me to believe that "hippopotomonstro-" is a prefix that doesn't alter the word at all. With that conclusion drawn, I'm announcing the change of my screenname to "HippopotomonstRoboBob3000".

Good luck with your new name then, boBob3000 :P

- Hippopotomonstrorubellagolda

[Edited by RubellaGolda on 07-05-2004 at 09:15 AM GMT]
07-05-2004 at 10:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Rank Points: 77
pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis has 45 letters in it and its some disease similar to black lung disease. You get it somehow from being around volcanoes (too long, maybe, or breathing too much volcano dust), hence pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

[Edited by SKWERLL on 07-05-2004 at 07:06 PM GMT]

The best hold in the world!
07-05-2004 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
I thought coal miners used to get it.

07-05-2004 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
coal miners - black lung disease.
guys around volcanoes - pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
For some reason, everyone thinks that pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the same as black lung disease when its only quite similar.

07-05-2004 at 08:26 PM
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
SKWERLL wrote:
guys around volcanoes - pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. Sorry if this wasn't clear.
For some reason, everyone thinks that pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is the same as black lung disease when its only quite similar.
Saying that, looking at the name, it does appear that you could get this disease from other places too. Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis suggests that the disease is caused by inhaling too many ultra-fine particles of silicon dioxide or other silicon-based minerals. I suppose that you could also get this if you lived next to a sandstone quarry or something like that (Sand is mostly silicon dioxide, if I'm not wrong).

[Edited by agaricus5 on 07-05-2004 at 07:56 PM GMT]

07-05-2004 at 08:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Multiplying two consecutive integers and adding 17 will always result in a prime number.

1x2+17=19
2x3+17=23
3x4+17=29
4x5+17=37
5x6+17=47
etc.

07-06-2004 at 07:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
16x17+17=289 (17x17)
17x18+17=323 (19x17)
20x21+17=437 (19x23)
25x26+17=667 (29x23)

[Edited by eytanz on 07-06-2004 at 07:06 PM GMT]

07-06-2004 at 08:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Multiplying two consecutive integers that are greater than 1 will always result in a non-prime. Especially if you add 16 to them.

07-06-2004 at 09:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Adding 4 to the square of a square will also always result in a non-prime.

Click here to view the secret text

07-06-2004 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (+1)  
Not if n=1

07-06-2004 at 10:12 PM
masonjason
Ach! Foiled again!

07-06-2004 at 11:12 PM
eytanz
Multiplying a number by 23 will always result in a non-prime :)

07-06-2004 at 11:18 PM
SKWERLL
23x1 is a prime number

07-06-2004 at 11:23 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
Number or integer? What about 1/23?

And what kind of people are we? Seriously.

07-06-2004 at 11:24 PM
eytanz
SKWERLL wrote:
23x1 is a prime number

Ack.

Ok - multiplying an integer by 23 and adding 23 will always result in a non-prime. :)

And the answer to RoboBob3000's question, at least as far as I am concerned - people who are looking for stuff to do to avoid work.

07-06-2004 at 11:27 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
eytanz wrote:
Ok - multiplying an integer by 23 and adding 23 will always result in a non-prime. :)
23 * 0 + 23 = 23. :P

07-07-2004 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Sigh. Ok, multiplying any number by 0 and adding 3 will result in a prime. And I stand by this one.

07-07-2004 at 01:46 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
pi ~= e for large values of e.

When rounding numbers to integers, the basic rule is within .5 of a value. So 3.5 can round to 3, because it's only .5 more than 3, but it can also round to 4, because it's only .5 less than 4. pi is roughly 3.14159, and e is roughly 2.81828, and they are within .5 of each other, so they are roughly equal.

Similarly, pi ~= 4 for large values of pi and small values of 4.

07-07-2004 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Sidetracking from math a bit...

Did you know that The Bible is the world's most shoplifted book?

Click here to view the secret text

07-07-2004 at 03:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Multiplying two numbers that are greater than 1 will always result in a non-prime.

Adding an odd number to a prime number greater than 2 will result in a non-prime.

:)

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-08-2004 at 12:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Multiplying any two different primes by 5 will result in two different numbers that are both divisible by 5.

07-08-2004 at 03:26 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Being a big Coca-Cola fan, I have to add something on it. (Sorry in advance to all Pepsi fans)

Did you know...

-Coca-Cola was originally green.
-Coca-Cola was invented by a pharmacist on May 8, 1886.
-There are nearly 10,450 soft drinks from The Coca-Cola Company consumed every second of every day.
-Although 'Coca-Cola' is enjoyed ice-cold around the world, in Hong Kong it is sometimes served hot as a remedy for colds.

All of the facts here except the first (Which I had in my memory) were found here, a very good site for all you Coca-Cola fans.

07-08-2004 at 11:45 PM
DiMono
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
-Although 'Coca-Cola' is enjoyed ice-cold around the world, in Hong Kong it is sometimes served hot as a remedy for colds.
Really? Wow. And to think I recently gave it up because I actually dissolved a nail in a glass of it. Vile stuff, really, less healthy than french fries.

07-09-2004 at 01:12 AM
gamer_extreme_101
DiMono wrote:
Really? Wow. And to think I recently gave it up because I actually dissolved a nail in a glass of it. Vile stuff, really, less healthy than french fries.

Well, in reality, each of them are bad for you, they are just bad in different ways.

Fries = Fat, Grease
Coke = Sugar, Caffeine

Edit: Duh. French Fries also equal potatoes.
"I get it!:)..............No I don't :( "

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 on 07-09-2004 at 12:24 AM GMT]

07-09-2004 at 01:16 AM
agaricus5
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Coke = Sugar, Caffeine
Coke also equals very concentrated carbonic acid (H2CO3) at around pH 2-3. It's very bad for your digestive tract if consumed in high quantities.

07-09-2004 at 01:22 AM
gamer_extreme_101
agaricus5 wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Coke = Sugar, Caffeine
Coke also equals very concentrated carbonic acid (H2CO3) at around pH 2-3. It's very bad for your digestive tract if consumed in high quantities.

Ack! That'll keep me away from the stuff for a while. And just a quick question - What is considered "High Quantities"? Would it be somewhere around 1-2 litres a day, higher, or lower?

07-09-2004 at 02:12 AM
eytanz
icon Re: Random Useless Facts (+2)  
agaricus5 wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Coke = Sugar, Caffeine

That's sort of true, but very misleading.

First, All carbonated drinks contain carbonic acid, not just coke.

Second, carbonic acid is a weak acid (ph around 3). The gastric acid in our stomach has a PH of around 1; our digestive tracks can handle any acid weaker than that without trouble. Fresh orange or lemon juice is considerably more acidic than coke, yet no one goes around saying it's harmful to the digestive tract.

Note that I'm not saying that Coke is healthy - far from it. But the sugar and caffeine are the real health risks - the acidy, while much more scary sounding, is really a non-issue.

[Edited by eytanz on 07-09-2004 at 02:02 AM GMT]

07-09-2004 at 03:01 AM
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
eytanz wrote:
Note that I'm not saying that Coke is healthy - far from it. But the sugar and caffeine are the real health risks - the acidy, while much more scary sounding, is really a non-issue.
Not for your teeth ...

- Gerry
07-09-2004 at 03:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
If you leave a tooth in coke for enough time (several days at least, far more than the several hours folklore ascribes to it), it will melt. Given the very short amount of time your tooth actually comes in contact with coke when you drink it (a few seconds at most per liter), it causes less damage to the tooth than the normal wear from biting into stuff whenever you eat does.

On the other hand, coke will leave a sugary deposit on your teeth, which, unless brushed off relatively quickly, will lead to bacterial growth and eventual tooth decay, just like any other heavily sugary substance. So, here too, the acidic properties of coke are far less important than its sugar content.

07-09-2004 at 03:54 AM
agaricus5
eytanz wrote:
First, All carbonated drinks contain carbonic acid, not just coke.
Correct. So beware that seemingly docile can of carbonated drink! :)

Second, carbonic acid is a weak acid (ph around 3). The gastric acid in our stomach has a PH of around 1; our digestive tracks can handle any acid weaker than that without trouble.
Actually, that's not entirely true, I don't think. Carbonic acid is weak (It only dissociates partially), but in a can of carbonated drink, it's very highly concentrated, since they force more CO2 into it than can be dissolved into it at atmospheric pressure (hence the fizziness), thus decreasing the pH of it to about 2-3. Stomach acid has a pH of around 1-2, so you are correct to say that this acid will not damage the lining of your stomach on contact, but since there is more acid in your stomach, it makes it much harder to fully neutralise it all when it passes into your small intestine.

Fresh orange or lemon juice is considerably more acidic than coke, yet no one goes around saying it's harmful to the digestive tract.
If you drank fresh lemon juice in large quantities of around 1-2 litres a day, I'm pretty sure that it certainly won't be very good for your digestive tract after a while.

07-09-2004 at 01:09 PM
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Random Useless Facts (Know any useless facts? Sure you do!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com