Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do you make guys build stuff?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Absolutis
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon How do you make guys build stuff? (0)  
See subject.
09-19-2009 at 06:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: How do you make guys build stuff? (0)  
The build option in the main menu seems the obvious first choice. I suggest pressing the F1 key if your stuck after that.
09-19-2009 at 07:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: How do you make guys build stuff? (-1)  
Absolutis refers to builders, NiroZ. But, y'know, I'm sure we all appreciate your condescension and lack of reading comprehension.

Script a character with the 'Build marker' command, and make sure the citizens can get to both the location and a relay station.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-19-2009 07:58 PM]
09-19-2009 at 07:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: How do you make guys build stuff? (+1)  
>> Jatopian
>> Complaining about condescending behaviour and lack of reading comprehension

Anyway, because I feel like being useful!

Builders do squat of their own accord. To make builders work, you need:

A) A citizen, in your room.
B) One of those weird octagonal things that can be various colors. They're called relay stations, but whatever. If you have a blue citizen onscreen, it has to be a blue relay station. If you have the default citizen, it'll go to whatever station's closest.

So now that you've got those, you need to make an NPC that causes build markers to be placed somewhere. The end result should be that when you run the script, it's sorta flashing semi-transparently on the screen. Once you've got that, builders should gleefully run off to the relay station, and then to build a single piece of your marked stuff, and then to the relay station, and then to the single piece.

I think the RPG lets you outright change tiles, though, which is pretty cool.
09-20-2009 at 12:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
*sigh*
I'm sorry if you interpreted it that way Jatopian, but that was not the way I intended it, and I don't see how it shows my lack of reading comprehension. In fact, to claim that is to depict it yourself.

What Absolutis says is inherently ambiguous. Even if you are to assume that he wants to use the editor to create or remove objects within a room while someone is playing the game, how do you know that he's referring to TCB? How do you know that he even means that? Build stuff could mean how to build rooms, do you have any insight that I don't have to dispute that? At least I referred him to the help files, so even though he's poorly articulated, he can still find answers.
09-20-2009 at 01:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Banjooie wrote:
If you have a blue citizen onscreen, it has to be a blue relay station. If you have the default citizen, it'll go to whatever station's closest.
Citizens will change color to that of the first and closest station they can access and will always remain that color. I am not aware of any way to predetermine their color in the editor.
NiroZ wrote:
What Absolutis says is inherently ambiguous. Even if you are to assume that he wants to use the editor to create or remove objects within a room while someone is playing the game, how do you know that he's referring to TCB? How do you know that he even means that?
He ask how to "make guys build stuff", not how he himself can build stuff or the truly ambiguous "how to build stuff". And I don't believe there are builders in the RPG, given that most things in the RPG don't move at all aside from Tendry.

Really, although it could have benefited from some elaboration and avoidance of the ever-objectionable "see subject", what he asked has only one fitting interpretation.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 09-20-2009 01:28 AM : NiroZ posted]
09-20-2009 at 01:22 AM
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
Jatopian wrote:
He ask how to "make guys build stuff", not how he himself can build stuff or the truly ambiguous "how to build stuff". And I don't believe there are builders in the RPG, given that most things in the RPG don't move at all aside from Tendry.

However, NPCs qualify as "guys", do they not? And you can certainly make NPCs build stuff.

Edit: However that second post was indeed very strange given the context. But yeah... still more than one interpretation.

If you want to make guys build stuff in DROD RPG, there's a Build command somewhere in that big list of scripting commands in the menu to add a command. That'll let you specify a rectangle and thing to build.

Unless you want to "build" living things, in which case you'll want Generate Entity.

[Last edited by Sillyman at 09-21-2009 07:31 AM]
09-21-2009 at 07:29 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I'm just happy that there was a "see" and an "ect" in the first post.
09-21-2009 at 09:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Absolutis
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I referred to builders.
09-30-2009 at 06:02 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : How do you make guys build stuff?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com