Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : One Step Ahead (A small Hold with only one monster... and it's chasing you.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.7/10 (31 votes)
σ 1.52
Author Name:Hartleyhair
Submitted By:hartleyhair
Hold Name:One Step Ahead
Theme:A small Hold with only one monster... and it's chasing you.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:9
Number of Monsters:37
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:10 (+10 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: One Step Ahead.hold (7.7 KB)
Downloaded 1131 times.
License: Other
icon One Step Ahead  
Just a little Hold I've made to ease myself back into architecture after my absence.
08-10-2009 at 12:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: One Step Ahead (0)  
It's released! A huge thankyou to all the kind people who betatested this hold in Architecture, and as ever to the HAs for all their tireless work. Thanks, everyone, and enjoy!

EDIT: This hold's now highscorable... well, sort of.

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 08-10-2009 07:18 PM]
08-10-2009 at 12:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: One Step Ahead (+1)  
Here's a little manipulation hold based on avoiding a monster. The puzzles are fun, and not too strenuous. The story is adorable. :)

Since you are avoiding a monster, you can't get highscores for the main puzzle rooms. But there is a conquer token at the end of the hold, so it can move onto your Conquered Holds list when you're done.
08-10-2009 at 12:33 PM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
This is a fairly good hold. The idea of puzzles is quite new and all rooms are enjoyable. Hope to see more holds like this.

3 brains, 8 for fun.

EDIT: Somewhere: Entrance needs to be marked unhighscorable

Thanks for marking entrance unhighscorable

[Last edited by mxvladi at 05-30-2010 07:53 PM]
08-10-2009 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
This hold I must say is the most unique hold ever. The puzzles are some thing I never saw before. Plus, I like the ending :P
08-10-2009 at 12:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
Very nice, short hold. A few tricky puzzles here, but every room is fun to work out. Overall, it's a lot of fun, including the speech along the way.
08-10-2009 at 02:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Is it just me, or does this hold have the biggest gap between brains and fun? In a good way. (not that I've actually played the hold.
08-11-2009 at 07:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
icon Re: One Step Ahead (+2)  
I've already expressed my opinion about this hold on the Architecture board, but it will be of no harm to state it again :).

One Step Ahead will surely remain in my most favorite holds forever - it's fun, it's unique and it does not make me want to uninstall my hard drive and smash it. The only thing I might not like is its length - this is for sure the shortest hold I ever played, though I consider it a good side.
Actually, I think that if you want to spend up to 20 minutes of quality time you surely ought to play this hold!

Fun - 9
Difficulty - 3.5

08-11-2009 at 10:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Really enjoyed this hold. Great concept very well executed.

Cheers!
08-12-2009 at 07:41 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
This is a nice palate cleanser that I went through while thinking about some harder rooms. The only room that really gave me pause was the last one, but the whole hold was enjoyable.

I give it an 8 for fun and 3 brains.

It wouldn't surprise me to see more 'chase holds' follow this trend, but I imagine that it will be a while before one as good as this comes up.

Josh

08-14-2009 at 02:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Good hold. Although it lacked a sense of fullness.
08-14-2009 at 04:48 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
Very quick, very nicely done hold!
08-26-2009 at 03:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
What an unusual and charming hold: a single monster dogs your step through a hold, unwittingly assisting you in solving each room. I got hung up for a while on 3E and and then again on 1N, 2E, but perserverance (and stepping away for a while) worked. Overall none of the rooms are that difficult and they are all fun to solve. I did feel like something was missing because you can't earn scores for any of the rooms, but the hold is short enough and the puzzles interesting enough that I didn't mind that much. And of course, since your "helper" is a monster, that's just the way it has to be. I really liked the personality of our clueless stalwart and hope he makes an appearance in future holds.
Fun 8; Brains 4
09-23-2009 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
I've replayed this hold a few minutes ago and it's as good as ever. Maybe except the last puzzle which I think is least fun and is not very lynchpin-y.

I'm upping the difficulty from 3.5 to 4 in my rating too :).

06-03-2015 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : One Step Ahead (A small Hold with only one monster... and it's chasing you.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com