Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ooz (New (3-letter) tarstuff)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2334
IP: Logged
icon Ooz (0)  
Inspired by me misreading Zex's comment in another thread, this would only be able to be cut if it produced babies. It can be cut anywhere, assuming that spot meets the aformentioned conditions.
08-05-2009 at 04:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Chaosgamer
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 88
icon Re: Ooz (0)  
The cutting will be very restricted but I would support this request.
08-05-2009 at 05:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
In stad of ozz glue is a good idea :thumbsup
08-06-2009 at 11:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
minimike98 wrote:
In stad of ozz glue is a good idea :thumbsup
Can you describe why "glue" is any better of a term than "ooz"?

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
08-07-2009 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
12th Archivist, I doubt he can even explain how he managed to misspell a three-letter word that appeared less than an inch above where he was typing.
08-07-2009 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Zing! (0)  
Zign!

08-07-2009 at 08:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Irregardless of spelling errors and pretty much irrelevant naming, does anyone have any comments on the idea?
08-07-2009 at 09:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eb0ny
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 484
Someone Else wrote:
Irregardless of spelling errors and pretty much irrelevant naming, does anyone have any comments on the idea?
Seems to me that this tarstuff acts like capricious mud. You can cut it in every square adjacent to its corners (a lot like mud) and pretty much everywhere if you have a 2 square wide segment of ooz (a lot like tar). I think that existing tarstuff (possibly combined with switch tokens) can replicate ooz's behaviour enough to make it feel redundant.

Just my 2$^-2.

[Last edited by eb0ny at 08-13-2009 03:52 PM]
08-13-2009 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DairmossX
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
I had an idea sorta like this, but with the variation of it growing 3 times faster (as fast as water skippers spawn) and having the ability to consume anything else that it grows over, with the exception of rock golems/ giants, slayers, and guards.

(edit: also, can be cut anywhere, which is why one could get away with making it grow 3x faster)

as for a name, my original name idea probably wouldnt fly (not 3 letters, i dont remember what the name is now) but maybe just 'muk'. it doesnt sound bad saying it like 'muk babies', and seems to have a slightly better ring to it than 'ooz babies' (which ooz is technically spelled 'Ooze' anyways :unsure

Spelling it 'ooz' sounds like an over-glorified version of 'Oz' :lol

[Last edited by DairmossX at 10-02-2009 01:49 PM]
10-02-2009 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nuntar
Rank Points: 4733
Ooz? Muc? Wen did it bcm a rul dat vry new tar sgd mst hav tre lrs?

10-02-2009 at 09:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
DairmossX
Nuntar wrote:
Ooz? Muc? Wen did it bcm a rul dat vry new tar sgd mst hav tre lrs?

its not a rule, it just fits because the other 3 (tar, mud, gel) are all 3-lettered.

otherwise you could call it "the amorphic blob" :shifty
10-02-2009 at 09:52 PM
Knaight
Rank Points: 18
They are also always consonant-vowel-consonant, and use a different vowel each time. A, E, and U are already used. Furthermore there is no overlap with consonants, so no using T, R, M, D, G, or L.
10-03-2009 at 05:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DairmossX
well you have to remember, that the way the english language is designed, almost all words contain a vowel as either the first or 2nd letter in the word. Vowels, being the basis for the english language, must be contained in every single word. not one word appears in the english language without a vowel in it.

The only word i can think of where the "1st 2 letters" doesnt apply, is the word "The". everything else has a vowel first or second letter.

so, naturally: mUd, tAr, gEl. get the idea?
10-03-2009 at 06:38 PM
Nuntar
icon Re: Ooz (+1)  
Actually, there are lots of words beginning with two (or more) consonants. As well as "the" there are all the other words beginning with "th"; then you have "bl", "br", "ch", "cl", "cr", "dr", "fl", "fr", "gl", "gr", "ph", "pl", "pr", "sc", "sh", "sl", "sm", "sn", "sp", "st", "wh" and "wr". And those are only the common ones! :lol

10-03-2009 at 06:53 PM
zex20913
DairmossX wrote:
well you have to remember, that the way the english language is designed, almost all words contain a vowel as either the first or 2nd letter in the word. Vowels, being the basis for the english language, must be contained in every single word. not one word appears in the english language without a vowel in it.

The only word i can think of where the "1st 2 letters" doesnt apply, is the word "The". everything else has a vowel first or second letter.

so, naturally: mUd, tAr, gEl. get the idea?

You really can't THink of any others? (Okay, CHeap SHot, I KNow.)

[Last edited by zex20913 at 10-03-2009 09:18 PM]
10-03-2009 at 09:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zwetschenwasser
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 200
There are words that have no vowels at all in them, such as:

crwth (pronounced crooth)
cwm
tsk
xylyl
cyst

and other fun ones...

10-03-2009 at 10:03 PM
Nuntar
You score one out of five. Y can be either a vowel or a consonant. And the first two come from Welsh, and in Welsh W is a vowel.

10-04-2009 at 12:23 AM
DairmossX
and Tsk isnt even a word, its a sound you make when your about to face palm
10-04-2009 at 01:45 AM
Someone Else
DairmossX wrote:
I had an idea sorta like this, but with the variation of it growing 3 times faster (as fast as water skippers spawn) and having the ability to consume anything else that it grows over, with the exception of rock golems/ giants, slayers, and guards.

(edit: also, can be cut anywhere, which is why one could get away with making it grow 3x faster)

as for a name, my original name idea probably wouldnt fly (not 3 letters, i dont remember what the name is now) but maybe just 'muk'. it doesnt sound bad saying it like 'muk babies', and seems to have a slightly better ring to it than 'ooz babies' (which ooz is technically spelled 'Ooze' anyways :unsure

Spelling it 'ooz' sounds like an over-glorified version of 'Oz' :lol
If if was like that, but produced no babies, then it would actually be an idea that wouldn't be impossible to beat. (It could only be cut where it would spawn babies if it was some other tarstuff, and grow every 10 moves)
10-04-2009 at 02:24 AM
Knaight
Rank Points: 18
DairmossX wrote:
and Tsk isnt even a word, its a sound you make when your about to face palm
Its onomatopoeia, so its a word.
10-04-2009 at 10:18 PM
zex20913
nth is certainly a viable word in mathematics journals.

10-04-2009 at 11:34 PM
DanielFishman
Rank Points: 159
zex20913 wrote:
nth is certainly a viable word in mathematics journals.
I have been told, though don't have a dictionary to hand to confirm, that most English dictionaries will contain precisely one word with no vowel sounds, i.e. 'nth'.
10-05-2009 at 12:13 PM
zwetschenwasser
Rank Points: 200
icon Re: Ooz (-1)  
NTH! I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT NTH! DAMMIT... :angry

10-06-2009 at 02:45 AM
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
icon Re: Ooz (+1)  
It'll basically be weak near (but not -at-) corners, as well as at any place it is only 2 tiles deep. Mimics would make the behavior -really- strange. (Have a mimic two tiles to either side with the sword pointing the same way and you can cut through depth of ooze, for instance)
10-10-2009 at 12:24 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ooz (New (3-letter) tarstuff)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com