Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : I Ching Contest Entries (Seven levels inspired by various readings from the I Ching)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.4/10 (9 votes)
σ 1.77
Author Name:I Ching Entries
Submitted By:DiMono
Hold Name:I Ching Contest Entries
Theme:Seven levels inspired by various readings from the I Ching
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:7
Number of Rooms:38
Number of Monsters:730
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+1 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: I Ching Contest Entries.hold (34.5 KB)
Downloaded 2312 times.
License: Other
icon I Ching Contest Entries  
The May 2004 contest was to create a level from a given I Ching reading, no longer than 8 rooms. These are the seven entries for the contest.
06-07-2004 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: I Ching Contest Entries (0)  
However, mine suffered from chronic un-playtesting. Thus, L3, 3S 3W is still unsolvable, as discovered in the Hints and Solutions board.

As I mentioned there...

I think I just rushed the making process, since making the hold was under a deadline, and couldn't be bothered to playtest properly, which I find upsetting and embarassing.

I made the time to check this room again, and discovered one green door should be enough to solve the problem.

DiMono, please can you update the hold just once more? I promise the rest is indeed solvable and apologise for causing 18 people to be forced to stop and lose progress on this hold.

06-11-2004 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Who ever said it was unsolvable now? I finished it okay.

I can send you a demo if you'd like me to prove it to you.

[Edited by DiMono on 06-11-2004 at 03:53 PM GMT]

06-11-2004 at 04:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Whaa?

I must be going crazy. First someone says it's not completable, so I went and tried to fix it, and now someone else says it isn't. I'm too tired to find out if it can be done using the old version. Please do send me a demo.

06-11-2004 at 04:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
I just realized that I've wiped my completed holds from my computer, so I need to replay the I-Ching hold to get there. I'll get it to you later today.

06-11-2004 at 04:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
In fact, don't bother. It's perfectly solvable, just as I thought.

Click here to view the secret text

06-11-2004 at 05:06 PM
DiMono
Man, and after I'd already played through the first five levels of the hold and everything just to get the demo... But yeah, that's how I solve the room.

06-11-2004 at 08:56 PM
Ostegolectr1c
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 116
this hold is unsolvable. there is a room in joker's hold that can't be conquared :|

07-04-2005 at 05:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
...and which room might that be?

Whaddaya wanna bet he hasn't bothered to look up a few posts
07-06-2005 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ostegolectr1c
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 116
This room on (1)there is a wall.

[Last edited by Ostegolectr1c at 07-06-2005 12:18 PM]
07-06-2005 at 12:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
I didn't get up to that yet but maybe the room isn't required.

07-06-2005 at 03:59 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Do you have the latest version? I do know this hold was updated fairly recently, and I believe the forum room image (which doesn't have the wall) corresponds to the most current version.

On the subject of impossible rooms, there is a room in Bibelot's level which doesn't work with JtRH brains.

edit: Fear not, there's another way to solve the room.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 09-27-2006 06:20 AM]
07-09-2005 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: I Ching Contest Entries (+1)  
Note to anyone who loves trapdoor puzzles....

It is worth playing through this hold to get to Agaricus' level. The Entrance room to this level is one of the finest trapdoor puzzles I've had the pleasure of beating.

Room Image

Steve.
04-18-2007 at 04:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
I didn't expect to find so many interesting holds here, every architect tried to make his best to win the contest. My favourite ones were in order:

1. Bibelot: I can't understand how this didn't get in the first places, the only explanation I can think about is that just few people reached the exit. If you solve the rooms but don't get to the exit you can't really appreciate Bibelot's intent in this level.

This hold should be sticked in every DROD player's mind like The Fool's Errand is... so, if you never did, go back and play it!
Room
Click here to view the secret text

2. Agaricus: just like Stephen4Louise said the entrance is a great trapdoor puzzle.. & I haven't already played Bavato's Dungeon, but, from these few rooms, I can imagine the kind of difficulty I'll have to face. Can't wait. :P

3. DiMono: I liked mostly 1S, it's very original, as far as I can rembember I have never seen a room like that, surely not among the AE holds.

09-11-2014 at 10:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
icon Re: I Ching Contest Entries (+1)  
This was a very enjoyable set of entries to play through. Some of the rooms were really tough (even seeming impossible until assumptions were reexamined) and others were original (at least, up to this point in AE I haven't seen anything like them, and I hadn't seen anything like them in what few of the later era holds I've already played.)

My favourite part about this hold, however, is just how good a job the architects did in adapting their passages of the I Ching into clever DROD rooms. This is done consistently well enough that the I Ching passages could even be considered hints, although puzzling out how they apply to the DROD room is another puzzle in itself.

Is this the first ever contest hold featuring entries from multiple architects? My biggest gripe with the hold is that there isn't a hub allowing you to select the entries you want to play. Instead, you are forced to play all the entries in a set order, with the exit stairs of one entry leading to the start of the next. There is also no indication within the hold as to who the winner of the contest was, although I suspect that in this case this hold is simply the same version that the people were playing through initially during voting.

12-19-2017 at 12:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Yep, this was before hubs became the meta for this sort of thing, alas. Glad people are still enjoying the classics.
01-01-2018 at 04:56 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : I Ching Contest Entries (Seven levels inspired by various readings from the I Ching) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com