Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Good action games
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
whinto
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Re: Good action games (0)  
i love madness interactive i got a page with mods to it there so cool. here it is. http://www.matrix-rayne.com/
sry if it didnt link

07-21-2004 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1129
Jazz Jackrabbit is REALLY addictive. Both 1 and 2 are good, but I like 1 more. You can get them both on Underdogs.

P.S. 1 is great because it has Turbo mode, and the levels are more creative. Orbitus 2 is a pain though :)

07-22-2004 at 06:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
icon Re: Good action games (+1)  
Pinnacle wrote:
Jazz Jackrabbit is REALLY addictive. Both 1 and 2 are good, but I like 1 more. You can get them both on Underdogs.
There's a long story as to why more people liked 1 better than 2. Origionally, when JJ1 was released, people complained that it was too hard. Knowing they didn't want to lose players, they made JJ2 much easier. Unfortunately, it was too easy, and took little time to complete it (I did it in about 2 hours...pretty sad). To make up for the difficulty loss, Epic added both a online multiplayer server and a level editor in the 1.24 release, known as "The Secret Files". They eventually patched the normal version as well, adding both to the original 4 episodes.

Today, many people consider the two games equal. If you enjoy good challenges but don't care about replayablility, you should get JJ1. If you enjoy online multiplayer deathmatches and CtF, get JJ2. As a matter of fact, you should just get both, although JJ1 is a DOS game and may have issues on faster processors.

Gosh, I love being nostalgic!

07-22-2004 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:
There's a long story as to why more people liked 1 better than 2. Origionally, when JJ1 was released, people complained that it was too hard. Knowing they didn't want to lose players, they made JJ2 much easier. Unfortunately, it was too easy, and took little time to complete it (I did it in about 2 hours...pretty sad). To make up for the difficulty loss, Epic added both a online multiplayer server and a level editor in the 1.24 release, known as "The Secret Files". They eventually patched the normal version as well, adding both to the original 4 episodes.
Part of the reason why it was so hard was because of the tiny screen size - the resolution was so low that it made it very hard to see if there were any monsters waiting to get you, especially if you were running at top speed.

Getting 100% for the monsters and items in the levels is annoyingly hard, though. :)

P.S. 1 is great because it has Turbo mode, and the levels are more creative. Orbitus 2 is a pain though

I think Sluggion 1 and 2 are worse, though. :)

Today, many people consider the two games equal. If you enjoy good challenges but don't care about replayablility, you should get JJ1. If you enjoy online multiplayer deathmatches and CtF, get JJ2. As a matter of fact, you should just get both, although JJ1 is a DOS game and may have issues on faster processors.
True. Apparently the compiler used to make JJ1 (I think Borland) required a 55ms (I think) delay before a set of calculations could begin. On computers that are too fast, you will get a "divide by 0" error, since the processor is too fast to give a delay as long as that. You will need to patch it if this is the case, although it messes up the sound completely when you play it.

07-22-2004 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
There was another thing that I originally forgot to mention: the music in that JJ1 ROCKED!!

For me, I can't play a game more than 1 hour if the music is bad or not well done. Jazz 1 had SO many good tracks to it, such as Medivo (My favourite :thumbsup ), Tubelectric, and many more had such good tracks. When the redid them in JJ2 for the flashback episode, they ended up sucking(Again, my opinion).

07-23-2004 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
There was another thing that I originally forgot to mention: the music in that JJ1 ROCKED!!

For me, I can't play a game more than 1 hour if the music is bad or not well done. Jazz 1 had SO many good tracks to it, such as Medivo (My favourite :thumbsup ), Tubelectric, and many more had such good tracks. When the redid them in JJ2 for the flashback episode, they ended up sucking(Again, my opinion).

You must be one of the lucky people with a slow processor. :)

I had to patch mine (I have a 2.0GHz Pentium) and the music for me is absolutely ruined because of this. Since you mentioned it, I probably will go off to see if I can download the soundtracks from somewhere (Jazz2Online might have them).

07-23-2004 at 12:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
agaricus5 wrote:
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

You must be one of the lucky people with a slow processor. :)

I had to patch mine (I have a 2.0GHz Pentium) and the music for me is absolutely ruined because of this. Since you mentioned it, I probably will go off to see if I can download the soundtracks from somewhere (Jazz2Online might have them).
There are sometimes that slower is better ;). I have a 433 K6 3D which is awesome for old games, and you'd be suprised how many good games my machine can play. Better yet, I got myself an Audigy which plays music great. Most people think I'm crazy though, telling me "Why wouldn't you get a better videocard or processor than a soundcard?" But hey - music is a big part of games

You have two options Wesley: you can head over to vgmusic.com and pick up SOME music there, but they only have a few (Medivo, Tubelectric, and a couple others), or you could get DosBox, a program that slows down your processor to get old DOS games to work. The problem with the last is that, if you are running a heavy working program (Antivirus, Firewall), it could cause your computer to crash.

There is a third option: head over to Ebay or a garage sale or something and pick up an older machine. For such old games, anything lower than a P3 500 should work for playing old games.

07-23-2004 at 12:41 AM
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: Good action games (+2)  
The sound on JJ will work fine if you run both the sound setup and the program executable using this program.
At least, it did for me.

[Edited by masonjason on 07-23-2004 at 12:24 AM GMT]

07-23-2004 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Oh man...I just found 2 rockin' mods for HL. Any HL owner NEEDS both of these. They are both single-player, but they are very in-depth and will have you playing them for hours.

Azure Sheep is a Half-Life mod that places you as a security guard. Unlike Blue-Shift, this game lasts more than an hour. The training level is very extensive and non-linear, and new weapons and character models are included. Awesome game!

The second, They Hunger, is proudly the only game that is able to scare the living carp out of me. A complete mod, you are send to a small village (most of the maps are outside...even better) on a vacation, but you soon realize that there are zombies around. If you don't have it, you don't know what you are missing!

08-10-2004 at 11:27 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I've played dozens of HL mods.

They Hunger 3 Try also 1 and 2 (Link broken, use google or something)
I think that They Hunger 1 and They Hunger 2 had way too many zombies. If there'd been five times less of them and they'd been a little tougher They Hunger would've been even better.

2 more great mods I've seen.
Poke646
A great mod with nice story and new weapons.

Invasion
A french mod with custom sounds. (There are subtitles in about 6 languages selectable.) It looks just great.

[Last edited by Doom at 09-26-2005 05:08 AM]
08-10-2004 at 11:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
08-11-2004 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Sacrifice - yes, the one hyped 4 years ago. They say it's a very good and unique game.
A blend of strategy and action, with good graphics and more. I still have to try it.

available for download !

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?id=5000

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
08-11-2004 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Jumper, Jumper Two, and Dim are platform-style games, and they are hard! Similar to N in that they're mostly on one screen, and you do a lot of jumping, the action isn't as furious in terms of enemies, although you still need good reflexes in order to make the jumps. Not entirely puzzle-y, but definitely very hard (especially since you can't remap the controls :thumbsdown ).

Kaiser Kitty is more of a puzzle game, although some reflexes are required. (Click on the "997 kb" link to download it.) Basically, you can make gravity go in any of the 4 cardinal directions, and you use that to make things fall (including yourself). On the first level the other cats give you hints, and aren't enemies...heh, I kept avoiding them, not realizing...

(All are new listings on the Underdogs, but are all freeware and so I linked to the home pages. I also downloaded Fish Fillets (site seems to be down now) but I haven't played it yet. Had to use Fileplanet, and just haven't installed it yet...seems like there's a Linux port on Sourceforge so some people like it...)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-31-2004 at 07:42 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Oneiromancer wrote:
I also downloaded Fish Fillets (site seems to be down now) but I haven't played it yet. Had to use Fileplanet, and just haven't installed it yet...seems like there's a Linux port on Sourceforge so some people like it...)

Underdogs gave this one a Top Dog rating, but said specifically that DROD was better. I've played the first few levels and at least at first it's just a block pushing game. Anyone who wants to try it should be warned that it's a 275MB download.
08-31-2004 at 08:06 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Eternal Daughter
An fun, huge, beautiful and extremely hard platformer made in Multimedia Fusion.
I was stuck on the third boss for half a week, but I continued playing.
Unexperienced gamers look elsewhere!

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
08-31-2004 at 09:04 PM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Just looking at the graphics from screenshots, it is a beautiful game. I'm jealous that I have to make all my monsters fit inside a 22x22 pixel square. Ugh.

-Erik

08-31-2004 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Heh...I went to download it...and then discovered that I had a copy of it from a long time ago...and had never unzipped and played it. I will try it soon based on that recommendation...

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-31-2004 at 09:40 PM
Oneiromancer
KevG wrote:
I've played the first few levels and at least at first it's just a block pushing game.

Heh...it's a damn hard one. Took me forever just to get to the 4th level. I think calling it "just" a block pushing game is selling it a bit short, there are enough limitations to make it more than a souped-up Sokoban.

Game on,

09-01-2004 at 11:20 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
Oneiromancer wrote:
KevG wrote:
I've played the first few levels and at least at first it's just a block pushing game.

Heh...it's a damn hard one. Took me forever just to get to the 4th level. I think calling it "just" a block pushing game is selling it a bit short, there are enough limitations to make it more than a souped-up Sokoban.

O.K., you're right; I probably was selling the game short. Something worth mentioning is that after you finish level 4, the path branches so you have two choices of levels, one of which I'm completely stuck on.

[Edited by KevG on 09-01-2004 at 11:15 PM GMT]
09-02-2004 at 12:14 AM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Oneiromancer wrote:
It is more like Tetris with Sokoban. If you like really hard puzzles, you should try it. I stopped after 20 screens, since every move in that game took ages. (and the puzzles becoming really hard :glasses)
09-02-2004 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Yeah, this is much more of a puzzle game than an action game. I'll make a post in the appropriate thread...and where I'm stuck at too. :P

Game on,

09-02-2004 at 12:19 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1133
At my school, one of the sixth grade teachers has a trilogy of first-person shooters on one of the Macs in his room. They are the three Marathon games, in which you're defending the world from an evil alien race called the Pfhor. They all run on Macintosh, but only Marathon 2 runs on Windows.

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

09-04-2004 at 10:20 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Jumper's music is familliar...

*the penny drops*

IT'S THAT KICK-*** THEME FROM PERFECT DARK!

Wow! I didn't know anyone used that anymore!

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
09-05-2004 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Heh, I haven't added any games here in a long time. Well, that changes today! I found this amazing Arkanoid/Breakout/DX Ball clone, Break Quest. There are 100 levels in the full version (not sure how many in the demo version), and each one is very different. The ball physics are very well done, making it theoretically easy to predict what will happen (in practice, there's a lot of stuff going on which makes it tougher). The powerups are many and varied, and there are lots of stationary objects and enemies too keep things interesting. You owe it to yourself to at least get up to level 3 in the Quest mode, which almost makes me want to buy the game in and of itself, just from how it shows what the game can do.

Cosmo Bots on the same site is a cool pseudo-remake of Qix as well, if anyone remembers that arcade game from the 80's.

Game on,

05-18-2005 at 09:43 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I never thought I'd play an Arkanoid clone that was inventive and chaotic. There's all these little touches that show you that they really thought about the game - shots knock everything, not just blocks; the various powerups that exploit the physics engine, and the way they fall - even the difficulty levels are a nice touch. Really good fun.

05-19-2005 at 03:02 AM
Oneiromancer
I've already decided that I'm going to buy it, actually...it was that good, and there are only 8 levels in the free version (although I did beat them on all 3 difficulties...there are actually some decent differences between them). I need to wait until after my defense next Tuesday though.

Game on,

05-19-2005 at 05:36 AM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
JJ hard? Come on, you can complete 90% of the levels by holding down 'right' and 'fire', and repeatedly tapping 'jump'...

05-19-2005 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
icon Re: Good action games (+3)  
Jumper 2 is one of my favourite platformer games, and I do have 76,88% completion (70 gems and 3 secret levels completed) to show for it. It is also quite insanely difficult, (2578 deaths here and that's the toughest 23,12% remaining) but all the more addictive because of that. I agree that the controls were annoying but you get used to them, especially after 3-3, curse that level.

A new game I found out about about a month ago, Doukutsu Monogatari or Cave Story in english (the game was originally in Japanese but the version there is translated). It's somewhat Metroid like, with a huge joined world, and with multiple secrets and 2 different endings, (it says 3, but one of them is the cheap one that skips the final sequence ) about 10 different weapons, each with 3 power levels, the game is quite fun. I've already gone through the game almost twice. (once with the normal ending and the second time with the hard ending, althugh I still haven't beaten the very final boss available on the hard ending) If you attemt to go for the ard ending, I recommend you read the walkthrough, because the way to get it is very non-obvious and irreversable once missed, and consists of multiple stages too.
05-19-2005 at 12:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Krishh wrote:
Jumper 2 is one of my favourite platformer games, and I do have 76,88% completion (70 gems and 3 secret levels completed) to show for it. It is also quite insanely difficult, (2578 deaths here and that's the toughest 23,12% remaining) but all the more addictive because of that. I agree that the controls were annoying but you get used to them, especially after 3-3, curse that level.

Well, I just had to check my stats from when I beat J2...my 100% file has 4833 deaths...eek. My second time through, which is only at 86.25% because I got bored (all normal stages, 88 gems), has only 720 deaths. And it'll probably stay that way, because it's been so long since I played it that I wouldn't be able to keep the deaths to a minimum.

If you never played Jumper 1, Krishh, he released an updated version of it called Jumper Redux. It's arguably tougher than J2, as there's no wall jump, and the movement while jumping is different (there's no acceleration when you move in mid-air in the original).

Oh, and Cave Story looks cool, I'll check it out. :)

Game on,

05-19-2005 at 04:53 PM
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
I played both J1 ( got to 5-something I think actually) and redux (although this one just a little bit), but I lost the save, and now I just couldn't get back to those physics after having played J2.

Hats off to your 100% though, that's really something you could brag about.
05-19-2005 at 05:21 PM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Good action games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com