Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Suit Pursuit (Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.6/10 (34 votes)
σ 1.78
Author Name:Jason
Submitted By:Jason
Hold Name:Suit Pursuit
Theme:Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:12
Number of Rooms:69
Number of Monsters:455
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:12 (+12 / -0)
Poster Message
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
IP: Logged
icon Re: Suit Pursuit (+1)  
I agree with calamarian. And the fact that you wrote it off after the end of the hold was very disappointing. For something that was the main point of the hold, it made you feel like you'd just wasted your time.
08-25-2009 at 10:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1300
I just received this hold in the mail, and it says that it's not published on CaravelNet. I'm liking it so far, but I'd like to get scores. Anyone know why this is?
09-08-2009 at 11:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: Suit Pursuit (0)  
Someone Else wrote:
I just received this hold in the mail, and it says that it's not published on CaravelNet. I'm liking it so far, but I'd like to get scores. Anyone know why this is?
I'd hazard a guess that the hold was updated after the release, and it seems that even though you have it on CD this fact seems to be unknown to CaravelNet, hence you don't get the option of downloading an upgraded version...

Just my thoughts on this, though. Probably a case for contacting support...

np: The Field - The More I Do (Thomas Fehlmann Mix) (Various - Kompakt Total 10 (Disc 2))

09-09-2009 at 12:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Briareos wrote:
I'd hazard a guess that the hold was updated after the release, and it seems that even though you have it on CD this fact seems to be unknown to CaravelNet, hence you don't get the option of downloading an upgraded version...
Not likely. If there was an update it would be shown in the holds list as "(Updated!)". In this case there was no update as far as I know of.

This is something Schik should look at, I'm afraid.

09-09-2009 at 01:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tim wrote:
Not likely. If there was an update it would be shown in the holds list as "(Updated!)". In this case there was no update as far as I know of.
Well, it could be that the version on the CD is an earlier one that never got onto CaravelNet - although for DROD to say "not on CaravelNet" there must be a difference between the hold on the CD and the one published on CaravelNet...

For what it's worth, here's the MD5SUM of the Suit_Pursuit.hold that I just downloaded off CaravelNet:

7a85233ee40f5f43919ca0db8e9065e9 *Suit_Pursuit.hold

If the MD5SUM of the hold file on your CD differs I guess we'll have found the cause...

09-09-2009 at 08:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Briareos wrote:
For what it's worth, here's the MD5SUM of the Suit_Pursuit.hold that I just downloaded off CaravelNet:

7a85233ee40f5f43919ca0db8e9065e9 *Suit_Pursuit.hold

If the MD5SUM of the hold file on your CD differs I guess we'll have found the cause...
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately my CD version also has this md5 number.

I'll contact Schik.

09-09-2009 at 10:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
icon Re: Suit Pursuit (+2)  
Conquered, mastered, post-mastered.

A good hold, although I agree with some of the negative comments from previous posts, mostly regarding odd scripted characters. Some of those were edited out from the final version, but not all.

Overall, though, a good mid-level difficulty hold, with a lot of good puzzles and some real head-scratchers.

I give it 5.5 brains and 8 for fun.

Josh

[Disclaimer: Yes, I was a beta-tester on this hold. But this is my first time playing through it as an official SMS.]

10-11-2009 at 06:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
da rogu3
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 491
I thought this was a somewhat average hold, which is a bit disappointing, considering it's a SS :/

It was fairly easy throughout, this wasn't a bad thing, it just made the sudden difficultly spikes (Level 4 1W, for example) seem quite frustrating. Some of the puzzles required a bit of trial and error. The aesthetics pale in comparison to complex complex. I don't mean to sound too negative, it was still fairly fun, and there were a few very nice lynchpin rooms I liked, but overall, considering the fact that the story isn't very rewarding, it just isn't as good as other SSs. :?
04-20-2011 at 10:22 PM
OneMoreNameless
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 131
For an official paid hold, Suit Pursuit was ... disapointingly generic, with no real aesthetics or themed levels to give a sense of progress, and the story itself was obviously tacked onto the hold after the fact. The land-stuck skippers everywhere didn't help immersion much either. Once you finally acquire the titular suit there's only a scarce few rooms to solve with it and then it gets crudely thrown out of the narrative without consequence.

The puzzles were mostly good, but not all. Some small combat rooms basically amounted to trial and error. The secret (pixel-hunted) rooms were often so much easier than the normal rooms that I have to wonder at the point of their inclusion; I solved and executed Level 8's in literally as many seconds.

It is enjoyable, but there plenty of equally enjoyable user holds for free, so.
06-04-2013 at 01:10 PM
Godot23
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
OneMoreNameless wrote:
For an official paid hold, Suit Pursuit was ... disapointingly generic, with no real aesthetics or themed levels to give a sense of progress, and the story itself was obviously tacked onto the hold after the fact. The land-stuck skippers everywhere didn't help immersion much either. Once you finally acquire the titular suit there's only a scarce few rooms to solve with it and then it gets crudely thrown out of the narrative without consequence.

The puzzles were mostly good, but not all. Some small combat rooms basically amounted to trial and error. The secret (pixel-hunted) rooms were often so much easier than the normal rooms that I have to wonder at the point of their inclusion; I solved and executed Level 8's in literally as many seconds.

It is enjoyable, but there plenty of equally enjoyable user holds for free, so.

Suit Pursuit was the first SmS I ever played. I think that it was quality in that it was to the level of difficulty of some of the regular holds. I don't think that the story was necessary for anything except for the last level (wherein you get a very "interesting" ability that has never been seen before in the main games). I liked it. I would recommend it as a first SmS due to difficulty if you are willing to spend the money. Complex Complex is by far my favorite of the SmS (even though I haven't even finished the "giants" level), which I believe is part of the same SmS collection. It's much more difficult. Perhaps not to the extent of Beethro's Teacher, but more difficult than Suit Pursuit to be sure.

I will admit that the displaced Water Skippers all over Suit Pursuit were a tad bit weird, however... -_-

My house is on fire

[Last edited by Godot23 at 06-04-2013 01:34 PM]
06-04-2013 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Suit Pursuit (Spring 2009 Smitemaster's Selection)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com