Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Best Games of 2008
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Best Games of 2008 (0)  
So, what was everyone's favourite games of 2008, independent or otherwise? Here's my top five in order:

1. I-Fluid
2. Crazy Machines 2
3. Crayon Physics Deluxe
4. World of Goo
5. Trackmania Nations Deluxe

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 02-22-2009 09:40 PM]
02-13-2009 at 02:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: Best Games of 2009 (0)  
I liked World of Goo.
Kids liked Guitar Hero 3 and Lego games (Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman).
02-13-2009 at 04:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Burnout Paradise for PC and something else I don't remember right now. Probably FEAR2 too.

02-13-2009 at 06:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
Definatly Fallout 3, the game is absolutly amazing. With over 100 locations in the game, and the ability to roam wherever you want makes it surely awesome. :cool
02-13-2009 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Best Games of 2008 (0)  
Why does the subject say 2009? (fixed)

Anyways, last year I didn't buy or downloaded many new games. I instead mostly looked for classics I missed (RE4, FF X, Cave Story, MP 2: Echoes, the list goes on...).

What I did get and enjoy that was from 2008:

The fan translation for Mother 3
Guitar Hero III
Professor Layton
The World Ends With You (actually, I thought this was from 07)

SSB Brawl and AW: Days of Ruin were also nice, but didn't live up to their predecessors.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-14-2009 08:09 AM]
02-13-2009 at 10:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I totally knew I'd make a mistake with this topic. How typical of me.

Like I said, top five games in order is my Illumination topic this month, but here are the games in no particular order:

World of Goo
I-Fluid
Trackmania United Forever
Crazy Machines
Crayon Physics Deluxe

02-13-2009 at 10:35 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, let's see...

Strong Bad's Cool Game For Attractive People
Trackmania United Forever
GTA 4 (PC Version)
Mirror's Edge
Prince Of Persia (2008)

I absolutely couldn't stand World Of Goo (thank $deity for the demo) - it's exactly the kind of twitch game that I don't like...

np: Dope Module - We Bring It (By Any Other Name)

02-13-2009 at 10:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
I'm just going to have to go with DROD: Tendry's Tale, simply because Far Cry 2 gives me motion sickness, Fallout 3 became monotonous, Mass Effect (PC) never really grabbed me thus far, Crysis: Warhead wasn't as fantastic as the original and Left4dead didn't live up to the hype (for me).
02-14-2009 at 12:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
I'm going to throw some TWEWY into the mix. The World Ends with You, that is. Quirky story, semi-annoying characters, but the best combat system yet on the DS (that I've played). I think I put more than 100 hours into the thing.

02-14-2009 at 04:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
There wasn't a lot of games that I liked this year, but I can name two at least: Iji and The Spirit Engine 2.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-14-2009 at 12:27 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: Best Games of 2008 (+1)  
I will go with indie games not mentioned here and nominate: Aquaria, the emotional underwater exploration game; Legerdemain, the storytelling roguelike; and Spelunky which can only be described as La-Mulana gone random.

[Last edited by Maurog at 02-20-2009 11:04 AM]
02-19-2009 at 11:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Almo
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 19
icon Re: Best Games of 2008 (+1)  
Well, I say Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars. In short, it's a brilliant game. I'll refer you to my blog for details rather than reproduce them all here.

http://theaxenalmo.blogspot.com/2009/02/2008-video-game-of-year.html

And since there's absolutely no advertising on my blog, I'm pretty sure this isn't spam. :)

02-22-2009 at 03:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Best Games of 2008 (+2)  
While some games had better balance, or production values or pacing, no game this year addicted quite as fully as Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4.

Followers of the Electronic Games board probably know of my fondness for the SMT series. In fact the week I got P3 (which is straightforward with its length as progression is done on a month-to-month basis) I wrote down my first impressions that eventually got expanded into a review.

Though I firmly believe that Nocturne is much better executed than P3 and the party progression is more reliant on the addictive parts of the game, P3's structure was too brilliant to ignore.

Persona games have always concerned high school students. Granted every game in the main series save for SMT2 involved students as well, but they were thrown into a cutthroat, darkly imaginative apocalypse at the earliest convenience which sort of eased most study troubles, P1 followed similarly and both P2 games had characters that ignored schoolwork in favor of gang battles, supernatural rumors and villains taken from Batman comics.

P3 was the first game in the series to actually include class in both the storyline and gameplay. They did this, logically enough, by classifying all the demon busting and endless fusions as an extracirricular activity. No, really.

Most of the game involves grinding your Social Links, your relationships with your friends and your personality traits such as courage and knowledge. By talking to a friend after school or on weekends, you can spend time with them which eventually strengthens your bond with them. The bonds then contribute an experience bonus during Persona creation that, depending on how far along the link is, ranges from negligible to running the risk that your strange personality will be more powerful than you.

Your fights are all delegated to a massive dungeon that is over 200 floors tall, a tower that your school turns into at night. Until the end, this tower was completely seperate from the story with story bosses occuring every 30 days on the full moon.

This was addictive. Very addictive. The rerelease which contained another 50 or so sidequests, brand new cutscenes, new Personas, new fusion techniques and a 40 hour epilogue to go with the 90 hour game didn't help my addiction much. The only problems were spotty pacing, a story that generally stayed away from the gameplay and the lack of direct control of your other party members.

All these have been fixed with P4 and it comes equipped with an equally bizarre plot (a murderer that kills by throwing people into a TV where they then are killed by their supressed emotions manifest in an astoundingly creative boss enemy), more realistic characters, a ton of more quests to do outside of your S.Links, a weather system that dictates item frequency AND keeps the pace brisk and a giant teddie bear that speaks almost exclusively in sexual innuendo and puns on the word "bear".

If you want more info on the battle system, P3's story and P3's pacing, read its review. Both are must plays.

[Last edited by Snacko at 02-23-2009 07:09 PM]
02-23-2009 at 07:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Best Games of 2008
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com