Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lightning (Speed Potions)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.8/10 (12 votes)
σ 3.00
Author Name:The_Red_Hawk
Submitted By:The_Red_Hawk
Hold Name:Lightning
Theme:Speed Potions
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:16
Number of Monsters:899
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:9 (+9 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Lightning.hold (15.8 KB)
Downloaded 914 times.
License: Other
icon Lightning  
A one-level hold based around the use of speed potions; there are twelve puzzle rooms.

Enjoy! :)
01-06-2009 at 10:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3170
icon Re: Lightning (+2)  
Here's a hold where hardcore DROD players can show off their excellent smiting techniques. We haven't had a hold like this in quite some time. In each room, the player is confronted with a different interesting situation that would be impossible without the use of a speed potion. This includes smiting way too many roaches or waterskippers, manipulation of several fegundos around sharp corners, simultaneous manipulation of fegundo and snake, simultaneous manipulation of two roach queens, a tight briar race, and more. With the exception of 1N3W, it's not too hard to see what needs to be done, but executing the solution is an entirely different story. My demos for this hold are some of the longest I've ever created when solving a serious room. The architect added details to each room specifically to increase the difficulty level.

Have you got what it takes? Go on... I dare you!
01-06-2009 at 10:27 PM
Neather2
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 406
icon Re: Lightning (0)  
Yes, this is a good hold, but too lot of monsters :?

Conspiracy, my new hold, has just been released.
02-07-2009 at 05:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Lightning (0)  
I hate hack and slash but this hold works for me. I doubt I'll finish it for a long while as optimisation is rendered extremely complex by the amount of monsters but I give it the thumbs up.

Nice original idea.
02-08-2009 at 04:47 AM
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Lightning (+1)  
It's a shame so few people have played this hold(more than one puzzle room, I mean).

I have conquered it recently and I liked it. Except 1N 1W(which was quite simple hack&slash room) and 1N 3W rooms were based on tough manipulation of monsters(and mirrors, in some cases) and/or doing everything fast enough. My favourite rooms were 1N 2W, 2N and 1N 2E. Can't say I liked 1N 3W as much as those, but it was nice, too(and quite different from other rooms).

While most of rooms were quite long, I didn't feel they were too long(in fact, only two rooms were more than 1000 moves long), so rooms weren't tedious at all.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 02-27-2010 03:26 AM]
02-27-2010 at 03:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
PMIT
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
icon Re: Lightning (+9)  
After working on this hold on and off for months, I've finally managed to conquer it. And it definitely felt rewarding. The hold has no story, and neither scripts nor lighting effects; just Beethro squaring off against a set of puzzles that push the speed potion to its limit. What made this hold really stand out to me is how tightly constructed each room is. The room boundaries of DROD are pushed to the limit, with hardly a corner put to waste, and with no noticeable filler or tedium to fill empty space.

Almost every room I entered began was met with shock at what I learned I was supposed to do. However, each is accessible enough that you can afford to give a few trial runs, and in fact, that's probably what you were supposed to do in the first place. Any frustration was the kind that spurs you on to try again. Some are easier than they look at first glance, but most rest at a consistently difficult level. Highlights for me included 1N3W, 1N2W, 2N, and 2E.

I'm also a little disappointed that so few others have played through more than a room or two, but I can understand why. These rooms are long and challenging, demanding full understanding of most DROD elements, not just speed potions, but if that sounds good to you, give it a try.

09-05-2010 at 06:06 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Lightning (Speed Potions) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com