Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : View Hold Room
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon View Hold Room (+1)  
I've noticed that with the restore option in the RPG, there's no way to simply *look* at a given room in a given level. If you could do this, that would seriously cut the time wasted of the player going, "Okay, now that I have this green key, where do I fracking go again? /// Oh, crap! I just spent 2 minutes getting all the way to this level only to find this is the wrong level!"

Stuff like that.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
01-01-2009 at 06:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Fang
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 175
icon Re: View Hold Room (0)  
I'd personally want to look through earlier level rooms... So I can know if I've cleaned all of it without having to do the (sometimes tedious) walk back to the first level only to find I already cleaned it after the third and I forgot I did it, or to find out I didn't have anything else to clean up and I thought I had.

02-08-2009 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
I still say that the inability to check progress in other levels in Classic DROD in the restore screen is an even bigger flaw. But, yes, it should be made possible to view any previously explored room in RPG on any level, as the entire hold is the puzzle.

A proposition: Make the arrow keys (or PgUp PgDn if the arrows are taken) move between levels on the full screen level map (the one you get by clicking on the current room in the map).

Then put at the top of it the name of the level being looked at, and put at the bottom the words "Use the arrow keys to view other levels".

Nice, eh?

Very simple suggestion GUI wise, though it probably is still no easier to implement than any other way...

02-08-2009 at 05:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
Kwakstur wrote:
A proposition: Make the arrow keys (or PgUp PgDn if the arrows are taken) move between levels on the full screen level map (the one you get by clicking on the current room in the map).
Over my dead body.

If I have to navigate the map with the mouse don't make me use keys for changing the level.

(*mumble*restore screen*mumble*"demos" button*mumble)

np: Fennesz - Glide (Black Sea)

02-08-2009 at 06:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
Briareos wrote:
If I have to navigate the map with the mouse don't make me use keys for changing the level.
Okay then, time for a less popular suggestion!

drumroll please......

Use the scrollwheel on the mouse to change levels! Yay!
(Highlight the secret text above.)

Don't mind me.

Actually, I would like a keyboard shorcut to bring up the map. And here's a very vivid suggestion of how that would work:

Allow an assignable keyboard shortcut for the map. On the map screen, Arrow keys can be used to select a room, and Enter or Space can view the room (when viewing a room, pressing any key brings you back to the map).
On the map, there will be keys to change levels (and maybe to change color as well). I haven't decided yet on what to use, though.

Then again, this doesn't cater well to people who want to move with the mouse. But as I think about it, I see no issue with simply adding buttons to the minimap for changing levels, so I think that should be done that as well. Those buttons should also be added to the map on the Restore screen.

I've always felt that we should be able to just view a level on the Classic DROD Restore screen by Ctrl+clicking it or Right-clicking it. I wonder if we'll ever get that.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 02-08-2009 07:16 PM]
02-08-2009 at 07:14 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : View Hold Room
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com