Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : If... Question in an Each Use label
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged

File: Bug Question.drh (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 29 times.
License: Public Domain
icon If... Question in an Each Use label (0)  
(ahem)
I accidentally first posted this to DROD Bugs. Here's the board it should be on.

I want to put a question as an If... Condition (so that it executes in the same turn) in an Each Use label for a weapon, but when I do so, it always results to true!

Hold attatched.

12-31-2008 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3117
icon Re: If... Question in an Each Use label (0)  
Since this bug's still to be fixed, I thought I'd post a related one here based around Fang's problems with his recent script.

A Answer-based Question asked in a Cmd script fired via Each Use does *not* pause its execution when the Question is asked. As a result, whatever is immediately after the question is run first, no matter what the result of the Question is. Only on the turn after the Question does the correct result occur. [Fixed in rev 282 -- mrimer]

EDIT: Tahnan's also found that it's impossible to undo past a Yes/No Question, so I'm adding that to the list of Question bugs in this thread.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-19-2016 10:28 PM]
08-20-2009 at 09:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kieranmillar
Rank Points: 2668
Going to selfishly bump this because it turns out it's a bit of an issue in something I just tried to implement. Would be great to help add more flexibility to what you want pressing the command button to do.
03-06-2016 at 07:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dragon Fogel
Rank Points: 2430
TFMurphy wrote:
EDIT: Tahnan's also found that it's impossible to undo past a Yes/No Question, so I'm adding that to the list of Question bugs in this thread.

Seeing this reminds me that this is happening in regular DROD, too. I'll go make a bug report over there.
03-06-2016 at 07:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Kwakstur wrote:
(ahem)
I accidentally first posted this to DROD Bugs. Here's the board it should be on.

I want to put a question as an If... Condition (so that it executes in the same turn) in an Each Use label for a weapon, but when I do so, it always results to true!

Hold attatched.
This is an old bug report that I can no longer reproduce. Also, the weapon here is using "Each use", but it should be using "Each attack". After changing this, then following the combat, the question is asked properly. (Questions cannot be asked in the middle of combat -- they must wait until after combat completes to be posed to the player.)

Marking this issue already fixed in 1.2 (probably in build 57). I'll respond to the Yes/No undo issue separately.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-14-2016 at 06:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
kieranmillar wrote:
Going to selfishly bump this because it turns out it's a bit of an issue in something I just tried to implement. Would be great to help add more flexibility to what you want pressing the command button to do.
Sorry, I'm not clear which of the three issues reported here is what you're referring to. Would you please clarify and post a barebones hold to reproduce the issue? Thanks!

Edit: is this the same issue you posted here?

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-14-2016 06:42 AM]
03-14-2016 at 06:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
I've added a workaround. Now pressing Esc on a yes/no question will undo the last move (rev 278). This would take a non-trivial amount of work to add full undo button+key support, and I'm going to defer that for now.

03-14-2016 at 06:36 AM
kieranmillar

File: Command question test.drh (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 21 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: If... Question in an Each Use label (+2)  
mrimer wrote:
kieranmillar wrote:
Sorry, I'm not clear which of the three issues reported here is what you're referring to. Would you please clarify and post a barebones hold to reproduce the issue? Thanks!

Edit: is this the same issue you posted here?

Apologies, I didn't actually quote the part I was talking about, which is this problem:
TFMurphy wrote: A Answer-based Question asked in a Cmd script fired via Each Use does *not* pause its execution when the Question is asked. As a result, whatever is immediately after the question is run first, no matter what the result of the Question is. Only on the turn after the Question does the correct result occur.
This is not the same as the issue in the other thread you linked to.

I have attached a test hold demonstrating the issue. When pressing the command key, you get given a choice of what type of key you want to gain, but it always ends up running the first choice and giving you a yellow key before the question pops up. (Choosing to gain a yellow key gives you a second one).

What should happen: lines of scripting after the Question command should not execute until the player actually answers the question.

EDIT: I just checked out of curiosity, and it seems the same bug occurs if you put the script into your accessory slot instead of the command slot, so it might be a problem with questions inside Each Use commands in general instead of explicitly an issue with the special command key.

[Last edited by kieranmillar at 03-14-2016 08:17 PM]
03-14-2016 at 08:03 PM
kieranmillar
icon Re: If... Question in an Each Use label (+1)  
Can confirm in 1.2.6.283 that the results of mutli-choice questions inside globals or equipment/commands no longer pre-emptively execute following code before the question is answered. :thumbsup
03-20-2016 at 04:47 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Bugs : If... Question in an Each Use label
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com