Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Association Between Vars and Custom Equipment
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
IP: Logged
icon Association Between Vars and Custom Equipment (0)  
I've had an interesting idea for a new accessory item for a while. It goes like this: when you wear these Heat Resistant Boots, the percentage of hot tile damage is set to 2, unlike its usual 5. This is a pretty original idea, I suppose, but I've run into a problem while scripting it.

There's no script that says: "Wait until player has Weapon/Armor/Accessory Item" or something like that.

You don't have to add this exact script down to the letter, because I've found a better way of waiting until you have a certain object in you inventory.

A character's ID could be used as a possible variable. For example:

Label: Loop
Wait until var _Accessory = 20000 (20000 is the Accessory character ID)
Set Var Hot Tile = 2
Wait until var _Accessory < 20000 (Waits until you have either another accessory of no accessory)
Set Var Hot Tile = 5
Go To: Loop

Just another thought...

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-20-2008 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Association Between Vars and Custom Equipment (+2)  
Heat-Resistant Boots? That's easy to script. Reminds me of my Ice Sickle. It's an ice sword that freezes water under it to Bridges (looks right in Iceworks style) and is disabled over Hot Tiles (instead of Oremites). Okay, it's completely the opposite, but whatever.

I'm not sure what you're requesting, but these boots are, like you said, easily scripted by using something like your example code in a Global Script NPC (nothing would go in the accessory's code). But it does need one main fix: An If.. Else will get rid of the annoying fact it only waits for a lower ID.
Imperative Global Script
Label Loop
  If ...
      Wait until var _Accessory = 20000
    Set Var _HotTile = 2
  Else
    Set Var _HotTile = 5
  If End
  Wait 0
Go to Loop
Though only the title suggests this (no mention in the post) if you're asking that there could be a way to automatically reset vars on unequip (meaning that setting something like _HotTile on it would only affect Hot Tiles for as long as it's equipped), then I'm all for it. My suggested implementation:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-20-2008 04:42 AM]
12-20-2008 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
12th Archivist
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: Association Between Vars and Custom Equipment (+1)  
Nuntar wrote:
Isn't there a slight flaw in that setting _HotTile = 2 causes everything to take 2% damage from hot tiles just because Tendry is wearing heat-resistant boots?
Yeah, but I don't know of many architects that would put all their enemies on hot tiles. If they did that, the smart delver would just stand and wait until they're dead, which doesn't go so well with the whole "challenge" thing.

Of course, now that I've said this, I'm slightly sure at least someone will try to make a hold involving Heat Resistant Boots and monsters on hot tiles to bug me.

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
12-20-2008 at 04:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
moldar
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
icon Re: Association Between Vars and Custom Equipment (0)  
Moving monsters.

'nuff said.

Moldar
12-20-2008 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Association Between Vars and Custom Equipment
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com