Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Wall lights and dark
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
underscorpion
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
IP: Logged
icon Wall lights and dark (+1)  
Hello.
Is it possible to make dark (ceiling) and wall lights not deleting each other? Or make darkness more dark? OR make lights not as obstacles, but like wall lights, which wouldn't delete a ceiling dark? Because the current max. level of darkness is too bright for me. You can't now make a very, very dark place, like cage, or underground base with lights from nowhere without deleting "special" dark.

-=Sorry for my English :P=-
12-12-2008 at 05:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
icon Re: Wall lights and dark (0)  
Replacing Walls with lights can work wonders, but you do have to fully obscure the walls with the darkest Dark (Ceiling) setting so that the lights can't be seen. In other words, the walls would have to look completely black.

The current light mechanics have bugged me to no end, but it would be a little difficult to change them, because the reason they replace eachother is that they both exist on the same layer (the Light layer). I shouldn't be one to say, but I would assume that changing this would make hold files bigger and in-game light calculations take longer (thus maaaaaaybe slowing down rooms with lots of lights).

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-12-2008 07:12 PM]
12-12-2008 at 07:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
underscorpion
So, how about darker darkness?
For example:
Now - max. level of darkness is 10.
After an update - max. level of darkness is 20.
? :)

12-12-2008 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Nuntar wrote:
Why not use the "light" object (in the editor's third tab)?
Because those are visible, and they act as obstacles. What we want to accomplish by the requested feature is something like to have light coming from the middle of a dark, empty room. Like a dim ceiling light. And, preferably anything outside of the light's radius (and the player's spotlight's radius) should be almost impossible to make out.

The only way to do this would be either:
1. To add some really dark weather settings. Assuming that it doesn't have the eigth setting reserved for internal use, it seems like we have room for one more level of darkness.
2. To allow Wall Lights and Light/Dark(Ceiling) to be placed atop eachother. Currently, I count 177 possible settings for the Light Layer. But, bad news, if we allowed Ceiling and Wall to ocupy the same tile, there would be 6145 possible settings. That is at least a 5-bit increase.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-13-2008 02:00 AM]
12-13-2008 at 01:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kwakstur
It also covers all the light coming from the Light.

Unless we only obscured the tile with the Light. But then you have an ugly black square in the middle of a lit room.

The only way to make this look good is to embed the Light into the wall and make all the walls completely black, too.

But then we have my first post in the topic, which was only an ugly temporary solution at best.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 12-13-2008 02:01 AM]
12-13-2008 at 01:59 AM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Wall lights and dark (+1)  
How about allowing NPCs to have a light radius? Given that NPCs can be invisible and steppable, I think that would solve the issue and allow other nifty lighting-related things.
12-15-2008 at 07:47 PM
underscorpion
Yeah... That's a really good idea! Mrimer, please, give it to us!!! :P

12-18-2008 at 07:21 PM
minimike98
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 1
i thinc it well be a grate idea so we can mack lick a dark river in a forrtres
04-15-2009 at 05:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
underscorpion
So?
This is easy to do, just copy the script from player object to npc and it will be VERY useful ;))

04-16-2009 at 04:41 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : Wall lights and dark
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com