Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Best Room Poll! (Which room is the best?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Which room is the best?
Dimono's One Horse Town PollPollPoll 2 15.38%
Mikko's One Room Hold PollPollPoll 2 15.38%
Zzyzx's Fun Room PollPollPoll 0 0.00%
Masonjason's Pilfer's Point PollPollPoll 4 30.77%
Nillo's Watch It! PollPollPoll 1 7.69%
Funk's Aversion PollPollPoll 3 23.08%
The_Red_Hawk's Best Room Competition PollPollPoll 1 7.69%
Total Votes 19 100%
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon Best Room Poll! (0)  
The Best Room Contest Poll!
For more information, see the "Best Room" thread.
The entries can be found here:

Dimono's One Horse Town
Mikko's One Room Hold
Zzyzx's Fun Room
Masonjason's Pilfer's Point
Nillo's Watch It!
Funk's Aversion
The_Red_Hawk's Best Room Competition (It's the one with the mimic and the trapdoors that counts, ignore the other one)

Vote for the one that is most fun to play, not hardest.
Poll closes next week. April 16 2004 7:00 GMT, to be exact.

[Edited by Nillo on 04-09-2004 at 06:45 AM GMT: Grammar]

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-08-2004 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
icon Re: Best Room Poll! (0)  
Righto. May the best architect win.
I agree with whoever said (DiMono?) that we shouldn't vote for our own rooms.
By the way, Nillo, I think you mean funnest (or most fun), not funniest.

04-08-2004 at 11:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Best Room Poll! (-1)  
It was indeed me who said that, and in fact I'm not going to vote at all, since I don't have the time to play all the holds. Have I mentioned lately that CFS sucks? Also, given the context, it would indeed appear that funniest should be most fun, since funnest isn't actually a word.

Edit: CFS is Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, not a person... just in case anyone thought it was an insult of some sort.

[Edited by DiMono on 04-09-2004 at 09:41 PM GMT]

04-09-2004 at 05:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
This was a difficult choice and came down to a close tie between DiMono's, Mikko's, and Masonjason's. Red Hawk's, Nillo's and Funk's didn't contain the puzzles that I prefer, though that's not to say I didn't enjoy them. Zzyzx's I had already played twice in Loony Labyrinth, so it lost some of its novelty, otherwise my choice would have been even more difficult. Mikko's lost out because it hasn't got - for me - that, "I want to play it again", feeling once it is finished. Still a great room. With DiMono's and Masonjason's left, I had the most difficult choice of all because I loved both these rooms. In the end, Masonjason got my 1st choice simply for the reason that it took me longer to figure out where to go.

Great work everyone. I'd love to see a hold of these type of puzzles which are great fun rather than downright difficult.

04-09-2004 at 10:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gds
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 50
For a poll like that I'd like to be able to give points to every entry, from most favourite to least favourite.

Anyway, it was a tie between masonjason's hold and DiMono's. In the end I voted for masonjason's because it's got a storyline.

Next was Mikko's room. It was an interesting and entertaining puzzle but as bandit1200 mentionned it does not have the same replay value.

Next was Funk's aversion. An interesting concept, it was frustrating but fun to run after those queens. However, it loses its novelty once played.

Next were Zzyzx's and Nillo's room, in this order. They lost their appeal because I've already knew them. Zzyzx's room, I still have to play it a fourth time to get that start back next to Loony's labyrinth. Nillo's room, I found more challenging in Dungeon1.

Last was Red Hawk's room. I'm sorry I didn't like it. It's challenging but I don't find it entertaining.
04-09-2004 at 10:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
the choice was for most fun
for me aversion was the most fun
very different
dimono's room was also fun for me
but that was more because I was counting moves very carefully after reading the other posts still a great room though
mikko's room was fun but could be more so if he removed some of the checkpoints it seems like every time I made a bad move it was right when I stepped on one I must have restarted the room completely at least 15 times
nillo's room I found just too easy
the other rooms I would describe as challenging before fun
04-09-2004 at 03:22 PM
SKWERLL
Rank Points: 77
Hey, how come I'm the only one who voted for Nillo's hold (as I write this)? It was plenty fun!
And isn't DiMono's hold the one everyone is talking about? :look

The best hold in the world!
04-11-2004 at 02:42 AM
DiMono
SKWERLL wrote:
And isn't DiMono's hold the one everyone is talking about?
Cool, I have a fan :) Unfortunately for my hold, multi-level polling hasn't been written for the forums yet, so even if my hold is second-best for everyone, they're going to vote for the one that beats it out. It doesn't bother me at all, but I will say it's nice having so many people mention how close it was in their comments in the thread.

04-11-2004 at 05:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
This looks like it may well end in a draw. Unfortunately, I won't be around for the conclusion of the contest. In the event of a draw, we will need an independent judge, and unless his entry is involved in the draw, Nillo seems the logical choice, seeing as he started the whole thing.

04-12-2004 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Rank Points: 77
DiMono wrote:
SKWERLL wrote:
And isn't DiMono's hold the one everyone is talking about?
Cool, I have a fan :) Unfortunately for my hold, multi-level polling hasn't been written for the forums yet, so even if my hold is second-best for everyone, they're going to vote for the one that beats it out. It doesn't bother me at all, but I will say it's nice having so many people mention how close it was in their comments in the thread.
The main reason I like this room is because it was one of the few holds I thought were good enough to take time off of. I took time off to beat this room was because it was one of the few rooms I could beat. DiMono's hold would probably win second place easily*.

If he doesn't win first

The best hold in the world!
04-14-2004 at 04:57 AM
Nillo
Congrats, Masonjason!
You won!
You're cool!

Is Pilfer's Point going to the Holds page?

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-16-2004 at 08:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Actually, I sort of like making a purely vertical hold out of the submissions, in order from least votes to most, and then sticking the whole collection somewhere. What do people think?

04-17-2004 at 03:46 AM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
DiMono wrote:
Actually, I sort of like making a purely vertical hold out of the submissions, in order from least votes to most, and then sticking the whole collection somewhere. What do people think?
Good idea. All strung together, it'd make a challenging little hold.
04-17-2004 at 06:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
I agree, although, perhaps instead of arranging them by popularity, arrange them by difficulty. Although that would require more discussion, etc. it does seem to be a better way to go about it.. because really, who wants to play the "worst" room first? ok... so that's from LL, and not really the worst, just not original enough for us jaded smiters, but, if anything, I'd want the more entertaining rooms first, so I wouldn't have to slog through tedious and difficult.

I haven't seen any of these rooms except for one horse town, and the LL room (and I don't know which one from LL it is), so my comments may be entirely useless... I just like ordering that makes more sense for hold continuity.

04-17-2004 at 07:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
icon Re: Best Room Poll! (+1)  
Huzzah! I won!
I'd like to claim the responsibility of assembling these rooms into a combined hold. However, rather than a linear vertical dungeon, I think it might be good to have a central hallway from which you can access all of the rooms. What do people think about this?

[Edited by masonjason on 04-17-2004 at 09:51 PM GMT]

04-17-2004 at 10:48 PM
Funk
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Congratulations to masonjason.

I went ahead and changed my original attachment to anyone-edit for use in this planned collaborative hold.
04-17-2004 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
OK.
I still need anyone-edit versions from the following people: zzyzx, Nillo and Red_Hawk.

04-18-2004 at 01:34 PM
DiMono
I assume you mean a level from which there are stairs that lead to the entries, and the stairs from them lead back to the main hall level, seeing as one particular hold requires Beethro to exist solely in the middle of the room? ;)

04-18-2004 at 08:44 PM
masonjason
Yes, something like that. And I was also thinking of some kind of a password that could be collected from each room (too complex?) so that you could only complete the hold once you had completed every room but you didn't have to do them in any particular order.

04-18-2004 at 09:42 PM
DiMono
I like the idea, but how would it be implemented? I think maybe a better option would be to set up an orb-number puzzle in the final room, such as the secret rooms in Dugan's, and as you proceed through the rooms you collect parts of the puzzle for the final room. Once you collect them, and figure out the correct order for them, you can enter the number to the final room to proceed.

The solution would need to be quite large, though, to prevent brute-forcing it.

[Edited by DiMono on 04-18-2004 at 08:50 PM GMT]

04-18-2004 at 09:49 PM
masonjason
A three-digit number should be enough, if we use gates under tar.

04-18-2004 at 10:23 PM
DiMono
And the solution should be 872... I like that number. Now we need to come up with a puzzle, or an equation, or something, that we can split in to seven pieces and scatter around... and some of the holds need to be edited a little to make a place for the new scrolls to go.

04-19-2004 at 05:19 AM
masonjason
DiMono wrote:
And the solution should be 872...
For some reason, that number sounds weirdly familiar to me.
Now we need to come up with a puzzle, or an equation, or something, that we can split in to seven pieces and scatter around...
Just have seven numbers which can be added up to form the final code.
...and some of the holds need to be edited a little to make a place for the new scrolls to go.
I'll take a look at that now.

04-19-2004 at 10:29 AM
masonjason
Aversion: Took out a segment of green door near the stairs; no major change.
One Horse Town: Took out a square of wall near the stairs; no major change.
Mikko's One Room Hold: Ditto.
Pilfer's Point: No editing necessary.
I'm now going to PM the various hold authors requesting editable versions of their holds.

04-19-2004 at 10:39 AM
Nillo

File: Nillos Watch It.hold (893 bytes)
Downloaded 36 times.
License: Other
icon Re: Best Room Poll! (+1)  
Here's my Anyone-Edit version.
Sorry for the delay.

04-19-2004 at 05:15 PM
masonjason
Thanks. Two more to go.

04-19-2004 at 07:39 PM
masonjason
Status report here. I was slacking off slightly during the downtime (making slow progress on the sequel to the Oversight) and I couldn't finish making the metastructure of this combined hold because I didn't have access to the poll results. I've made the combination room now, but I'm still waiting for anyone-edit versions from zzyzx and Hawk.

05-14-2004 at 07:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Best Room Poll! (Which room is the best?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com