Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Number of Rooms Remaining
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
IP: Logged
icon Number of Rooms Remaining (0)  
I'm sure this has been proposed in the past. I suggest adding a counter for the number of rooms remaining on a level, either at the top of the screen, or on the left side. This would especially be useful for people who are going crazy not finding the 2 secret rooms that *have* to be passed on level 8. It would only count the rooms that *have* to be completed to pass the level (ie, not including secret rooms).

Sam
04-06-2004 at 04:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Number of Rooms Remaining (0)  
I can see what you mean, but I think that half the fun is finding out what rooms are needed. For one or two holds, it could completely spoil it.

However, as an option, I think it would be fine.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-06-2004 at 06:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
No, I'm wholeheartedly behind this. It wouldn't tell you what rooms are needed, only how many.

04-08-2004 at 06:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I doubt we'll do anything like this, as it should either be pretty obvious you have rooms still to do or the author's being cheap on you, in which case I'll give you the number of some hired thugs you can use. It also doesn't make much sense from a metaphor perspective - how come Beethro knows how many rooms there are left in this level to clear when he hasn't seen them yet?

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 04-09-2004 at 08:58 AM GMT]

04-09-2004 at 09:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Mattcrampy wrote:
I doubt we'll do anything like this, as it should either be pretty obvious you have rooms still to do or the author's being cheap on you, in which case I'll give you the number of some hired thugs you can use. It also doesn't make much sense from a metaphor perspective - how come Beethro knows how many rooms there are left in this level to clear when he hasn't seen them yet?

Matt

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 04-09-2004 at 08:58 AM GMT]
Well, also at a metaphorical level, how come he's got maps of the rooms and can see the entire room on entry even though he or anyone else has never seen the room before?

04-09-2004 at 10:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Well, most kings will probably give maps of the dungeons to their exterminators (except Dugan's mpas were bad).

Maybe the author can choose if the player can know.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
04-09-2004 at 05:31 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
You mean like how not marking any rooms as required will give you no indication at all when you're ready to leave the level, or how marking all rooms including the exit as required will accomplish the same thing? If I don't want you to know how much longer you'll be on a level, I have ways of preventing you from finding out.

04-09-2004 at 07:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: Number of Rooms Remaining (+1)  
If the hold author really, really wants the player to know the number of remaining rooms, he could just put a scroll somewhere saying how many rooms there are on the level, and the player could figure out how many there are left.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
04-09-2004 at 09:58 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Number of Rooms Remaining
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com