Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD MMORPG (How exactly could this work?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
IP: Logged
icon DROD MMORPG (0)  
Somebody on these fine forums a while ago posted (jokingly) an image about DROD MMORPG... but I think that could actually work. Obviously, the overworld should not be turn based. Probably any safe area should let you take your turn whenever you want. As for areas with enemies: either everybody in the room has to move at once, or we handle it like DROD RPG and you just grab a monster.

Another idea is that there could be two sorts of dungeons: RPG dungeons and bonus puzzle dungeons. RPG dungeons are self-explanatory. Bonus puzzle dungeons hold a small number of people in an instance, all of whom must move at once.

11-09-2008 at 06:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: DROD MMORPG (0)  
It seems to me it'd be more interesting to make a multiplayer editor, so that two people could work on a hold at the same time over CNet. Maybe not the same room at the same time or something.
11-09-2008 at 06:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I've always thought that they should stop making multiplayer games. They should start making multiplayer mice.

Two mice, one pointer, one game. It's so cheap and brilliant, I don't know why it hasn't already been done before.

11-09-2008 at 07:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
What? It's been done. They call them crane games.
11-09-2008 at 07:08 AM
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Or it's the amazing thing that is MMO Pong.

Unfortunately, it seems it might have been taken down and just leads to some annoying adverts. http://pong.flash-gear.com/

sadface
11-09-2008 at 11:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: DROD MMORPG (+1)  
I hereby present to you a plan for a play-by-forum MMOG of DROD, using existing resources and based off ideas such as Hamumu's Mase Of Ludicrosity. Here's how it would go down:

I (or whoever decides to administrate) post the hub, which is a single puzzle-less room with exits to the north, south, east, and west. However, on those exits are but placeholder rooms with a code. (In fact, there is already a largish grid of rooms like that.) Upon reaching one, you may send me a room (along with the code) to add to the hold to replace the void you reached. No one person may have two of their own rooms adjacent to each other. It may be feasible to create a bot for this purpose, which would verify the code, insert the room, and upload the new version of the hold.

11-21-2008 at 07:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
Sillyman wrote:
I hereby present to you a plan for a play-by-forum MMOG of DROD, using existing resources and based off ideas such as Hamumu's Mase Of Ludicrosity. Here's how it would go down:

I (or whoever decides to administrate) post the hub, which is a single puzzle-less room with exits to the north, south, east, and west. However, on those exits are but placeholder rooms with a code. (In fact, there is already a largish grid of rooms like that.) Upon reaching one, you may send me a room (along with the code) to add to the hold to replace the void you reached. No one person may have two of their own rooms adjacent to each other. It may be feasible to create a bot for this purpose, which would verify the code, insert the room, and upload the new version of the hold.
I like the idea, but ack, that's going to be incredibly slow and awkward. It's pretty likely that several people could spend hours building rooms to go in the same spot. Still, it's a very interesting idea, and good luck with it.

I guess it could be made smoother by someone recompiling the DROD source in order to facilitate this, but that'd be an even bigger undertaking.
11-21-2008 at 11:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eb0ny
Rank Points: 484
Sillyman wrote:
I hereby present to you a plan for a play-by-forum MMOG of DROD, using existing resources and based off ideas such as Hamumu's Mase Of Ludicrosity.
It might work if implemented as a wiki. You have an unlimited map, only the center square is present. You can then do one of two things: edit an existing room, or add a room adjacent to an existing one. Editing would be done with a flash-based editor, because this way it is easy to enforce one person per room condition (30 minutes timeout per user). After some changes are made, the previous layout is saved as part of history. Any registered user could edit it.

But because it requires a sophisticated flash editor, I propose a different way: start a contest, where contestants have to submit single rooms. Rooms should have little requirements (like well-defined exits and ability to go to any exit in any room) and would be easy to compile. Hmmm... I might as well do that...

11-22-2008 at 06:07 AM
12th Archivist
Rank Points: 789
icon Re: DROD MMORPG (+1)  
Sillyman wrote:
Somebody on these fine forums a while ago posted (jokingly) an image about DROD MMORPG... but I think that could actually work. Obviously, the overworld should not be turn based. Probably any safe area should let you take your turn whenever you want. As for areas with enemies: either everybody in the room has to move at once, or we handle it like DROD RPG and you just grab a monster.

Another idea is that there could be two sorts of dungeons: RPG dungeons and bonus puzzle dungeons. RPG dungeons are self-explanatory. Bonus puzzle dungeons hold a small number of people in an instance, all of whom must move at once.
I bumped this thread because not only do I want to share a TLDR (too long didn't read) post, I have multiple ideas to share!

...An idea relating to the DROD MMORPG of course.

Okay, so everywhere in the universe, the game is turned based. There is a turn counter in the upper-right hand side of the screen that tells what turn it is. That counter is always moving, say 2 turns per second. You are not allowed to move faster than two turns per second with just jogging (the amount of turns per second is a constant no matter where you're playing). If you do not make a move, it will be counted as a wait.

In the non-instance world areas, the same counter is in effect. People who do not move for some time will have blue text appear on the tile reading "AFK" with the actual character fazed out.

A player is allowed to challenge another player over money, keys, or even equipment. The person who reaches the specified amount of HP first will lose the duel. The duel starter will assign the losing amount of hit points, in which both players must agree to dueling each other, what the winner gets for succeeding, and the losing amount of hit points before 180 turns elapse or else the deal is off. During this time, no movement is allowed. When the two begin dueling, a red border shows where the duelers are not allowed to move past. Within the red border, the duelers are allowed to move freely, trying to dodge each others swords, and trying to get first hit on the other dueler. Once combat has ended, the winner gets the "Phat Lewt" and the loser leaves with nothing good.

Money is good in the game since it lets you buy potions, food, equipment, houses, skills, reputation, ATK, DEF, and other things in the game. Without money, you will inevitably fail in the game. Killing monsters gets you money, but the more powerful the monster, the more money you get. Jobs will earn you money, but only if you do them well. Jobs are classified as daily objectives that you must complete to get your money. Quests on the other hand are assignments that give you lots of money, but can't be completed over and over again. An example of a job is you must get roach meat from the storage chamber that appears there every 240 turns and take it to the grill along with the spices from the kitchen before the time runs out. It sounds a little repetitive, but hopefully the jobs are slightly more interesting than that. An example of a quest is where you have to clear out someone's dungeon that is full of spiders and antlions. Quests will usually get you more money than average jobs. Jobs that require a lot of thinking will usually earn you more money per day, but they often are longer.

A day might be 24000 turns long, and an hour based on that would be 1000 turns long. Lengthy? This is just an idea and if there will be an actual game, there's a good chance the number won't be like this. Days determine when towns are closed from the outside world, when people are sleeping (night is probably not the best time to ask someone to clear out their dungeon), and the overall brightness level of the overworld. Individual hours determine when people are going to be working in businesses, what people are going to be selling, and where the shadow is of various objects.

The overworld is also known as the Aboveground. The underworld is also known as the Beneath. Neither are considered dungeon areas. The Aboveground includes most the towns and cities (safe places) of the world, but have the lesser creatures of the world, meaning less bounty and treasure. The Beneath is more dangerous, but is has good loot. Also, the Beneath is not affected by shadows from the sun.

Dungeons are places with highly difficult enemies, but they have really good loot. People who are not in parties do not see each other in dungeons. Most of the time, a dungeon will go from up to down. There are some exceptions, like Claythro Tower that go from down to up, but most will go down. Some quests can be associated to clearing out dungeons.

I forgot what I was going to say next, so I'll just stop there.

Also, if this thread was just a big piece of sarcasm, I'm sorry for wasting anybody's time because they read all this and thought, "It's a good idea, but why was it posted here?"

Check out the DROD Wikia project here!
02-15-2009 at 09:28 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
12th Archivist wrote:
Also, if this thread was just a big piece of sarcasm, I'm sorry for wasting anybody's time because they read all this and thought, "It's a good idea, but why was it posted here?"
:lmao

That just earned you a point.

The ideas are good, too.

02-16-2009 at 02:45 AM
13th Slayer
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 27
I think we need a DROD RPG MMO. Based not on DROD but on RPG, so, like you can join up, go kill roaches and others, and get stuffs for it... and...
02-16-2009 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : DROD MMORPG (How exactly could this work?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com