Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : CTRL-5 pathfinds to staircase
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
aztcg7
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon CTRL-5 pathfinds to staircase (+1)  
I find myself going back and forth between levels often in Tendry's Tale. In doing this, I use CTRL-Direction, and it is very good. A problem is that when I want to change levels, I have to manually go to the staircase. I'm suggesting that we use CTRL-5, which is currently unused, to pathfind to the staircases.

10-01-2008 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sillyman
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: CTRL-5 pathfinds to staircase (0)  
Yes. This. Also, could we make ctrl-clicking on a staircase do the same thing? (Except for a specific staircase exit tile, like ctrl-clicking a room edge)

10-01-2008 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mechadragon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 61
Actually, why not just expand ctrl+direction to be 'smarter'?

If you ctrl+dir in a direction and there's no room that way...
1. If there's a staircase in that direction, take it.
2. If there's not a staircase there but there are room exits leading off to the side(s) in that direction, take the one of them that's closest.
3. Else just walk in that direction until you collide with something (at click-on-tile speed). (Alternatively, try to get to the tile in that room furthest in that direction)

I mean, that's basically what I'd want it to do.
10-01-2008 at 09:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
Mechadragon wrote:

Yes, but what if there is a room that way? It'd still be nice to be able to automove to the staircase.
10-02-2008 at 04:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mechadragon
Tahnan wrote:
Mechadragon wrote:

Yes, but what if there is a room that way? It'd still be nice to be able to automove to the staircase.
Okay. In addition, have ctrl+center head to the staircase if there is one in the room, else go to the closest centralmost free tile.
10-02-2008 at 06:33 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
what if there is more than one staircase?
10-02-2008 at 07:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
NiroZ wrote:
what if there is more than one staircase?

The way this should be handled:
If there is no staircase: Display the same "Sorry, can't autoexit" message as for ctrl-dir.
If there is 1 accessible staircase tile: Go up that staircase.
If there is more than one: Go to the nearest.

This is the way ctrl-dir pathfinding already works for more than one distinguishable exit in the same direction. Ctrl-click should, obviously, exit via the clicked tile.

10-02-2008 at 07:30 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Adding to this, I think the actual "going to" should be interruptable so that Beethro's path could be readjusted on the fly.

I often find myself going through "the wrong North exit" for example. In this case, hitting Ctrl+8 would alternate each time between the available North exits.

This could also work for multiple staircases where, if your Ctrl+5 has Beethro going to the wrong one, hit it again and he'll head towards the next.
10-17-2008 at 01:04 AM
Mechadragon
Syntax wrote:
Adding to this, I think the actual "going to" should be interruptable so that Beethro's path could be readjusted on the fly.

I often find myself going through "the wrong North exit" for example. In this case, hitting Ctrl+8 would alternate each time between the available North exits.

This could also work for multiple staircases where, if your Ctrl+5 has Beethro going to the wrong one, hit it again and he'll head towards the next.
Ah, I like this solution! I too have had problems where I've wanted to go to one west exit but he goes to another.
10-17-2008 at 04:04 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
This is only partly on topic. But I often find myself going through aumtlichs gazes, or passed goblins, seep or skippers. CTRL direction is a really nice feature, but as you can't restore after you've used it, I would really like it if it didn't go close passed monsters that can hurt you, the same way it doesn't go over hot tiles, or by monsters your sword would stab. I'm not sure if it's easy to fix though, perhaps the CTRL exit could just go the the edge of the room, so you have a chance to undo?

10-17-2008 at 08:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mechadragon
icon Re: CTRL-5 pathfinds to staircase (+1)  
Rheb wrote:
This is only partly on topic. But I often find myself going through aumtlichs gazes, or passed goblins, seep or skippers. CTRL direction is a really nice feature, but as you can't restore after you've used it, I would really like it if it didn't go close passed monsters that can hurt you, the same way it doesn't go over hot tiles, or by monsters your sword would stab. I'm not sure if it's easy to fix though, perhaps the CTRL exit could just go the the edge of the room, so you have a chance to undo?
It's already been reported as a bug; either it'll just treat dangerous tiles as solid or stop when damage has been taken.
10-17-2008 at 11:58 PM
Sillyman
According to the thread, it would stop immediately if damage is taken, allowing you to react.

10-18-2008 at 01:15 AM
Rheb
Rank Points: 1211
Sillyman wrote:
According to the thread, it would stop immediately if damage is taken, allowing you to react.
Ahh, that sounds like a good idea.

10-18-2008 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
dart193
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 13
This is good idea. I am playing demo and like ctrl-12346789 direction move. And it is fast. So ctrl 5 function may make it very fast. I also want these functions work with flying platforms.
11-04-2008 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Bump.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-01-2016 at 01:38 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
This is implemented in rev 259.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-05-2016 at 03:23 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Feature Requests : CTRL-5 pathfinds to staircase
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com