Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2.1 Patch (Windows) (Build 89 BETA)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
IP: Logged
icon Re: 3.2.1 Patch (Windows) (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Thanks for the link. Yeah, his discription of these issues is basically as I understand it. I think I have everything linked up properly in the build 88 patch. It works for me when I install it on a system other than my development box, so I'd like to validate that it works for other players too. Especially if they don't have the latest .NET installed on their system. That's our acid test.

So, assuming I the machine where I built DROD the last couple times had video card issues and I'm now on a much less useful machine... How hard is it going to be for you or me to update the "from scratch" compile destructions I wrote before?

03-29-2010 at 07:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
silver wrote:
mrimer wrote:
Thanks for the link. Yeah, his discription of these issues is basically as I understand it. I think I have everything linked up properly in the build 88 patch. It works for me when I install it on a system other than my development box, so I'd like to validate that it works for other players too. Especially if they don't have the latest .NET installed on their system. That's our acid test.

So, assuming I the machine where I built DROD the last couple times had video card issues and I'm now on a much less useful machine... How hard is it going to be for you or me to update the "from scratch" compile destructions I wrote before?
Sorry, I don't quite get what you mean.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-01-2010 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Bump...how have things gone for anyone who downloaded build 88 so far?

04-02-2010 at 06:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
I was referring to my compilingDROD.txt file - last time I updated was a while ago (possibly build 84?), and in the latest build you upped a bunch of lib versions and changed some of your linkages. So I was asking kind of generally if the instructions have changed as much as it looks like...

04-02-2010 at 09:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
mrimer wrote:
Bump...how have things gone for anyone who downloaded build 88 so far?

One of the unfortunate side effects of doing HA stuff is that I really need to be able to play holds in the released version...so I haven't tried to upgrade.

But I look forward to the patch release!

Josh

04-02-2010 at 11:10 AM
mrimer
silver wrote:
I was referring to my compilingDROD.txt file - last time I updated was a while ago (possibly build 84?), and in the latest build you upped a bunch of lib versions and changed some of your linkages. So I was asking kind of generally if the instructions have changed as much as it looks like...
Oh, unofficially, so far, yes, we're using the new lib versions. However, I don't think the working build process you described has fundamentally changed at all -- one could still use the versions indicated in your notes to build the game.

04-03-2010 at 03:20 PM
mrimer

File: DRODTCBPatch3_2_1_build89.exe (1.7 MB)
Downloaded 48 times.
License: Public Domain
icon 3.2.1.89 Patch (Windows) (+3)  
I've attached a BETA version 3.2.1.89 patch (please see first post for change log). A big thanks to TFMurphy and schep for helping to fix longstanding, obscure and tricky bugs.

This build should be stable and can be considered a release candidate, but...(Usual beta build disclaimer here)

[Last edited by mrimer at 01-03-2011 07:35 PM]
01-03-2011 at 07:35 PM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
icon Re: 3.2.1 Patch (Windows) (+1)  
'The application or DLL D:\DROD - The City Beneath\MSVCP90.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.'

I get this when starting DROD.
01-09-2011 at 04:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
slimm tom wrote:
'The application or DLL D:\DROD - The City Beneath\MSVCP90.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.'

I get this when starting DROD.
Looks to me like Mike packaged the 64-bit versions of MSVCP90.dll and MSVCR90.dll - and since I'm pretty sure he also has the 32-bit versions installed on his system I'm not surprised he hadn't noticed it... (and neither did I, incidentally.)

np: Autechre - Uviol (Confield)

[Last edited by Briareos at 01-09-2011 04:40 PM]
01-09-2011 at 04:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1228
Ah, this explains why the patch did work on my 64-bit machine. Patch 88 has the 32-bit versions of the DLLs though, so I'm using that at the moment.
01-09-2011 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
slimm tom wrote:
Ah, this explains why the patch did work on my 64-bit machine. Patch 88 has the 32-bit versions of the DLLs though, so I'm using that at the moment.
No, actually it won't work either unless you have the correct DLLs installed in your Windows directory anyway - since the DROD executable supplied by the patch is a 32 bit one it couldn't load the 64 bit DLLs even on a 64 bit machine; you just can't mix and match 32 and 64 bit DLLs in a process of either size.

np: Autechre - Perlence Subrange 6-36 (Quaristice Quadrange EP)

01-09-2011 at 07:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer

File: Microsoft.VC90.CRT.rar (353.6 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
Whoops, sorry about that. I'm attaching the 32-bit DLLs here. Would you please try replacing the .dll files included in the patch with these to see if it fixes the problem?

01-13-2011 at 01:35 PM
Jeffrey0
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
icon Re: 3.2.1 Patch (Windows) (+2)  
Build 88 and 89 don't seem to like being ran from a directory you don't have write access to. Depending on if you've started it before, it'll either bomb out with an error code due to being unable to write to drod.err or bomb out nicely telling you it can't write to data. Build 87 and earlier (including release 3.2) work fine through UAC's IO virtualization (VirtualStore).

Switching to VS 2008 seemingly caused it to include a <requestedExecutionLevel> key in the manifest, disabling VirtualStore. Manually editing the manifest to remove the entire <trustInfo> key "fixes" it, reverting it back to the VirtualStore used before.

I really don't know what kind of fix to suggest. I guess the best short-term fix would be to remove <trustInfo> from the manifest to revert it back to IO virtualization. You probably have to make the manifest yourself (bottom of the page details the mt.exe tool) instead of letting VS do it. Just copying the current manifest and then removing <trustInfo> should be ok.

Long-term, I guess you'll need to write to AppData or alter the privileges during setup. Moving existing users over to AppData could be hard, so it should probably be fixed by whatever the next big project is.

Steps to reproduce come down to enabling UAC or being a standard user, fresh reinstalling 3.2.0, patching to build 89 and trying to run the game.
01-13-2011 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer

File: DRODTCBPatch3_2_1_build89_b.exe (1.6 MB)
Downloaded 43 times.
We do provide our own .manifest file when building the binary in order to avoid having to have the user install the C++ distributable lib bundle. I've removed the TrustInfo section from the intermediate .manifest file and attached a new patch build here. Would you please verify this works on your system?

Long term, we do plan to place the user data directory in AppData.

01-17-2011 at 03:28 PM
Jeffrey0
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 44
Yep, that works (for me anyway), all of the saves go right into VirtualStore\stuff as expected.
01-17-2011 at 11:20 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Patch works for me
01-23-2011 at 11:34 PM
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3118
If there looks to be no further problems, then is 3.2.1.89 good enough to go official? There's an awful lot of changes here that have been waiting a long time to come out of beta, so the sooner we're sure we're ready, the better.

(For the record, I'm happy that the 64-bit DLL and trustInfo problems were found, as it shows that people have been testing with the beta. I know it's difficult to find all this sort of stuff out before a more widespread public release, so it's very much appreciated.)
01-29-2011 at 06:52 AM
mrimer
TFMurphy wrote:
If there looks to be no further problems, then is 3.2.1.89 good enough to go official? There's an awful lot of changes here that have been waiting a long time to come out of beta, so the sooner we're sure we're ready, the better.

(For the record, I'm happy that the 64-bit DLL and trustInfo problems were found, as it shows that people have been testing with the beta. I know it's difficult to find all this sort of stuff out before a more widespread public release, so it's very much appreciated.)
Agreed. I was just waiting a few weeks to get some sufficient test coverage. I'll post an official patch to the Downloads page and work on preparing new demo/full builds everywhere they are found.

Thank you again, TFMurphy and schep, for making this latest release awesome in many ways. And thanks to everyone who helped test it through its various iterations.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-09-2011 04:07 AM]
02-09-2011 at 04:05 AM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : 3.2.1 Patch (Windows) (Build 89 BETA)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com