Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : The Term, "New and Improved"
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
AlternativePuzzles
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 30
IP: Logged
icon The Term, "New and Improved" (+2)  
You know the term "New and improved", correct? Well, I found it to be a bit of a break (as in shatter or destroy), because you can't improve something new, and you can't upgrade nothing into something. So, the term is broken when you think about it.

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
08-25-2008 at 02:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: The Term, "New and Improved" (0)  
the software engineer in me says, "well, it could be New to YOU but Improved from the beta release"

still, you're right, the phrase is a bit overboard. like most things that come from marketing.

[Last edited by silver at 08-25-2008 03:00 PM]
08-25-2008 at 03:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Timo006
Rank Points: 518
AlternativePuzzles wrote:
You know the term "New and improved", correct? Well, I found it to be a bit of a break (as in shatter or destroy), because you can't improve something new, and you can't upgrade nothing into something. So, the term is broken when you think about it.

Click here to view the secret text

I've been thinking about Pneh's remark, and I've made a new and improved definition.

a "New and improved" product is a product that is new (never in existence before) and improved from an older version, where the new product is a different product than the older version, even though it shows many similarities with an older version.

Note that whether the changes are labeled as an "improvement" is a matter of opinion from the creators/editors.

P.S. Note that just changing a product is modifying, not making new.

[Last edited by Timo006 at 08-25-2008 05:31 PM : improved my definition]
08-25-2008 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pneh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
icon Re: The Term, "New and Improved" (+1)  
I see it as this: If a teenager with his/her own style buys a pair of brand New jeans. Then maybe he/she want to Improve them by attacking them with scissors. And voala! New and Improved!

[Last edited by Pneh at 08-25-2008 05:11 PM]
08-25-2008 at 05:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
That's exactly why I've never understood the fashion with jeans.
08-26-2008 at 12:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Yeah, I wouldn't call that an improvement. But if one clips out the tags and draws some designs on them, then maybe. Anyway that's a matter of opinion and Pneh's point is clear and valid.

08-26-2008 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
For example, if Jatopian were to, say, change his avatar...It wouldn't matter one iota what image he came up with, as it would still be quite an "improvement" over the one he currently has. Correct? (Just teasing, of course.) :)
08-29-2008 at 08:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Lamkin wrote:
For example, if Jatopian were to, say, change his avatar...It wouldn't matter one iota what image he came up with, as it would still be quite an "improvement" over the one he currently has. Correct? (Just teasing, of course.) :)
Now that's debatable, and it really depends on the perspective of the person. If someone rips a new pair of jeans, it may be an improvement to one person but not the other.
08-29-2008 at 09:14 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Slightly related: I always found it funny that the back of the Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne box says "Command New Legendary Heroes". How can a hero be both new and legendary at the same time?

I suppose they could be legendary but still "new" in command, since you didn't command them earlier. Still, that's not how it read to me at first.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
08-29-2008 at 04:49 PM
Lamkin
Rank Points: 606
Dang, do I wish I could play Warcraft III, but for that I'd need a "new and improved" computer. :~(
08-29-2008 at 11:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AlternativePuzzles
Level: Disabled
Rank Points: 30
Yes, there are many exceptions to the fact that the term is wrong. Most of them are funny (I laughed at all of these posts in a good way), and they are good exceptions.

Test out my hold currently in
architecture:
[url=http://forum.caravelgames.com/
viewtopic.php?TopicID=26578]Spike
Pit
08-29-2008 at 11:34 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Nillo wrote:
I suppose they could be legendary but still "new" in command, since you didn't command them earlier. Still, that's not how it read to me at first.
More like they're legendary all over the world, but they just moved here because their job back home just got outsourced to Cheaplabouristan...

Even legendary heroes can have career problems... ;)

np: Tied & Tickled Trio - Other Voices Other Rooms (Aelita)

08-30-2008 at 12:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : The Term, "New and Improved"
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com