Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Reubus' Palace (Themed levels that increase in difficulty)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.5/10 (20 votes)
σ 1.80
Author Name:DiMono
Submitted By:DiMono
Hold Name:King Reubus' Palace
Theme:Themed levels that increase in difficulty
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:16
Number of Rooms:153
Number of Monsters:2553
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: King Reubus' Palace.hold (51.8 KB)
Downloaded 2812 times.
License: Other
icon King Reubus' Palace  
Special thanks to eytanz, Watcher, jdyer, and bandit1200 for playtesting the final version of this hold. If you guys post in this thread, I'll mod you up for your time and energy spent.

That said, the early levels of this hold are pretty easy, and then the difficulty ramps up to something really quite difficult near the end. I hope you all enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed making it.

A note to people who played this hold while it was in the Architecture forum: There are more than 30 rooms added to this version that never saw the light in the Architecture forum, and some of them are really quite interesting. Please keep an open mind.
03-16-2004 at 04:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: King Reubus' Palace (0)  
The stairs in the palace entrance lead back to the start of the level for me. It's probably that stupid bug again, that seems to affect almost all holds I play. :(

On the other hand, some of the scrolls suggest that there is something more to be found (I've found no use to a certain number sequence yet) and if I've counted things correctly, I've only visited 151 of the 153 rooms...
03-20-2004 at 02:23 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
Wow. Before I exported the hold, I made sure all the exits went where they were supposed to, but now that you've brought this up I went to look and the stairs actually do point to the beginning of the same level. Thank you for bringing this up, I've updated the hold with a version that works properly. The other two rooms are accessible in the editor only, and the hold is set to You and Conquerers editing rights. I'll copy the two rooms to wee little hold, and if you want to see them let me know and I'll tell you where to go to get it.

What did you think of the hold? Please, I need an ego boost, rate me well :D

03-20-2004 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
First of all, I don't think the levels really increase in difficulty. The lobby and stairs are the easiest and the second level of the dungeon and the garden the most difficult. This is of course just IMO, and it doesn't make the hold any worse.

The levels had very distinctive themes, which is always a good thing. It's a bit boring to play holds that are basically just a collection of rooms, sorted only based on the colour of the floor.

The secret rooms were great, challenging to find and/or complete. The only thing I didn't like about them, is that the scrolls made the plot a bit unclear (I still have no idea what that number sequence is all about). Are you planning on making a sequel in the caverns?

All in all, most rooms were very fun to play, as you have successfully combined good puzzles and pleasant design. The garden in particular looked great. A couple of rooms were less good (3S in dungeon 2 comes to mind), but in a hold of this size it's almost inevitable. I also think you made the right decision in leaving the extra rooms inaccessible, as they are not of the same standard as the rest of the hold IMO.

03-21-2004 at 12:24 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Mikko wrote:
The levels had very distinctive themes, which is always a good thing. It's a bit boring to play holds that are basically just a collection of rooms, sorted only based on the colour of the floor.
I disagree. I would much rather play a collection of different or unique rooms than basically play the same room over and over.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-21-2004 at 01:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Mikko wrote:
(I still have no idea what that number sequence is all about). Are you planning on making a sequel in the caverns?
Thanks for your kind comments. For these two notes specifically, the number sequence is relevant to something on the level. You clearly got past it, so it's not really an issue, but if you want to know what it is just send me a PM and I'll let you know.

And yes, I'm making another hold based in the Caverns. I have it here in front of me, in fact :)

03-21-2004 at 04:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
The Cellars 1: 1N 1E (picture) is killing me. Any advice?

03-21-2004 at 11:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
masonjason wrote:
The Cellars 1: 1N 1E (picture) is killing me. Any advice?
Click here to view the secret text

Not enough?

Complete spoiler:

03-22-2004 at 12:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
masonjason

[Edited by masonjason on 03-22-2004 at 12:31 AM GMT]

03-22-2004 at 12:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Actually Schik that's not necessary. There's not much advice to give though.

"Oook!"
03-22-2004 at 05:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Either way you do it, you still need to get somewhere useful. What if you just make a run for it?

[Edited by DiMono on 03-22-2004 at 06:27 PM GMT]

03-22-2004 at 06:26 PM
masonjason
Thanks, I've completed it now. I'm now in the Dungeon.

03-26-2004 at 06:28 PM
styler
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: King Reubus' Palace (+1)  
Finished it last night. Very nice. It had me stumped on a few screens (some comments included, and warning: plot spoilers):

And...

A recommended piece! :D

Cheers
04-16-2004 at 02:03 PM
DiMono
Cool, thanks for the comments. I haven't quite mastered how to end a hold yet, which is why it seems to abrupt. I'm working on it :)

And Garden 1S is, I think, the hardest room on its level. It took me two days to prove to myself that it was possible, and then Erik didn't believe me at first when I told him so. I'm glad you enjoyed the hold.

04-16-2004 at 02:13 PM
leroy00
Rank Points: 155
icon Re: King Reubus' Palace (+1)  
I downloaded this hold a long time ago, but I haven't played an DROD in the last six months or so, so sorry if I am referring to an older version. I've just finished the Cellars (2nd level), pretty fun, and I liked the idea of the staggered walls which give an illusion of security while letting the roaches through. Nice touch. You wrote that the levels are in increasing hardness, the first level was really easy, the Cellars had one room that was pretty hard, I think it was 1N1E. I am anxious to see what's coming up.

So maybe this has been corrected, it's hard to tell if any version of the hold is the current one unless the creator puts a date in the file name, i.e. Bavato's Dungeon, but since I got it from the holds page, I figure it was final. (Maybe it would be a good idea to zip the holds first, then the file date can be retained instead of it being assigned the download date. But anyway....) So the guy's name is Reubus, but on the level-start-text (I forget what the real name is) you wrote "Reuben". Just a typo. More feedback later.

--leroy

10-14-2004 at 09:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Wow, that's a really good eye you have there. I totally missed that. +mod for you, and I'll fix the typo at some point.

10-14-2004 at 10:58 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
Hmm. I can't remember when I downloaded this hold, but I have completed all the 6 rooms in the garden below the blue door but the blue door doesn't open.. and I've checked that there are no crumbly walls anywhere..
02-24-2005 at 08:05 AM
DiMono
I just checked in the editor, and there are indeed only six required rooms on the level. Are you sure you didn't conquer one of them, then restore to before you'd conquered it and then conquer the rest? That would leave one unconquered.

02-24-2005 at 01:44 PM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
All 6 rooms are conquered.. I even restored and reconquered the 6th room, but it still ain't working. I suppose I can try redoing the whole level, otherwise it must be some unusual bug. Well, its some unusual bug in any case :D

Edit - nope, resolved the whole level and it still won't open. I suppose I have some corrupted version..

And final edit - I look in the editor - I must have a slightly older version of the game. The exit stairs were marked as required, and the layout looks slightly different to what it does now (after looking in hints and solutions.)

[Edited by TripleM at Local Time:02-24-2005 at 09:53 PM]
02-24-2005 at 09:18 PM
DiMono
Wow. Yeah, you got a version from the Architecture boards. Um... if you export your player, delete the hold, download and import the correct version and then import your player again, you might be able to continue where you left off, but I'd back up your .dats first.

02-24-2005 at 11:50 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
A good hold with some fun rooms in it. Dungeon: Level 2 was a good bit harder than anything else in the hold. Other than that, only Garden: 1 South really slowed me down for long.

I give it an overall 6.5 brains of difficulty and a 7 rating.

Deep into Caverns of Animus now, which is harder...and weirder.

Josh

07-10-2006 at 04:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
bobkberg
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
Well, it's certainly entertaining!
I must give kudos for an interesting hold!

Bob

02-27-2007 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : King Reubus' Palace (Themed levels that increase in difficulty) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com