Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Loony Labyrinth
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: New Hold: Loony Labyrinth (+1)  
Alright, so I've downloaded the anyone edit hold, and I've snooped around to look at the rooms I didn't solve the first time around (I solved about 75, found about 85). A few things I've noticed:

First of all, I didn't see any bad rooms, which is a feature that stood out. There were a few that needed work, but every room was fun, interesting, challenging, or a combination thereof.

If I recall correctly, 2N3E was one of the rooms that looked like a placeholder, but wasn't. If it's what I think it is, shouldn't it be shaped like a cross?

The scroll in 3N3E still seems like it's in the wrong room.

4N3E has the same problem as level 3 in my Forked Path hold:
Click here to view the secret text
Given the theme of your hold, I can't think of a good way to rectify this.

Entering 1N2E from the upper passage from 1N1E makes the room trivial.

I'll play the rooms I haven't gotten to yet when I have a chance. It's a good hold, I like it, and hopefully the slowdown has been dealt with as well as we all hope it has been for 1.7

03-05-2004 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
icon Re: New Hold: Loony Labyrinth (0)  
Well, I managed to get the roaches out in 2S3W before I went to bed last night. Now I find I, due to a slip up during a restore somewhere, (The problem here is not the size of the level, but not being able to see all rooms that have been completed on one screen), I need to redo the orb room at 4S. Ugh! That one took me 2 lifetimes.
03-05-2004 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I didn't get the lag problem too bad in this hold, but I am running a fairly new computer. My ancient laptop that I first played KDD on would have fried itself.

I think my favorite aspect of the hold is the wandering around looking for rooms that have yet to be completed. The hold is so open ended in terms of how it can be completed, and the paths you can take change constantly with green doors opening everywhere. It's refreshing to not have to play a linear level for a change. Also, unlike what seems to be the opinion of others here, I liked the mazes at the top and the crumbly wall maze-ish area in the middle, and I usually hate mazes. I'm playing KDD again and I stopped at level 13 cause I don't want to have to deal with it again.

Let's see... I wasn't a huge fan of the mimic ring rooms everybody seems to be raving about. I didn't find them to be terribly challenging, just a lot of alternating stepping. BUt then again, I'm not a big fan of trapdoor/mimic manipulation anyway. I also didn't like the rooms where I had to drop a bazillion red doors, but I did appreciate that most of the time there was another way around.

The difficulty level is superb. I was stumped on your clockwise snake/double mimic room for a while and dreaded coming back to it, but once I figured it out, it was a piece of cake. That's what good puzzles are about.

My version of the hold had the trivial solution to the orb maze, but I tried it for fun anyway. I think maybe you've got a few too many brains in there. It is a fun concept, but the breadth of the whole thing is just overwhelming.

That said, I think this is the best hold I've played in a good while. One of the top ones indeed. I bequeath moderation points upon you!

[Edited by RoboBob3000 on 03-05-2004 at 10:08 AM GMT]

03-05-2004 at 10:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Robobob, did you play it with the first version that was posted? I am positive I have now completed, or visited if that's all it needed, every room except the two after the blue door, but the door won't open.

edit: never mind, I just realised I missed 5N2E. I keep getting overwhelmed in there, so I probably shoved it to the back of my mind.

Finished at last!
I used the original posted version so I obviously missed the problems that others caught. All good fun and well worth the eyestrain and stiff little fingers. (No, I wasn't a fan of the band. :P )

[Edited by bandit1200 on 03-05-2004 at 10:31 AM GMT]

[Edited by bandit1200 on 03-05-2004 at 11:56 AM GMT]
03-05-2004 at 10:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
DiMono, thanks for the info. Will check it out this evening and see what I can do. As for the cross room without the cross, I did that on purpose. I figured i'd make it look a little different because it was the final orb, and not related to the others.

Robobob, i'm glad you liked it. Incentive to make more! :) I think I like the snake/double mimic room the best. At least I think I had the most fun making/playing it. I liked the idea of the orb maze room, but making it was a pain...linking all those orbs to 3 doors (latest version). I think I may have given myself carpel tunnel the other night! Thanks for the points :).

I think maybe you've got a few too many brains in there.
;) I actually had more when I was building the room. I left all the save point in there, but removed some of the paths/added more orbs, hence the carpel tunnel...

Hmm, this is a smiley-heavy post.
03-05-2004 at 04:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gds
Rank Points: 50
I really enjoyed this hold. I've finished this hold for the second time (I completed the first version and played it through again with the latest to see what changes you'd made) and I have two comments to make:

- The cross shaped hint room with the scroll is still wrong. Scroll and orb are swapped. Moreover the corresponding orb in the final room is now a toggle.

- The stairs send you back to the beginning.
03-06-2004 at 06:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
Thanks Gds. Missed the reversal on the orb. Big time oops there. Fixed now. The toggle is on purpose, all are toggle except the first. Also fixed the stairs. Now it goes to ending.

:)
03-07-2004 at 02:42 AM
zzyzx
Has anyone found any more bugs on this puppy? I was wondering if this hold is good enough to be bumped into the hold forum. And if so, how does that happen?

03-09-2004 at 07:14 AM
gds
I haven't been out looking for bugs in your hold but the two I pointed out earlier were the only show stoppers that I saw. Since you've fixed them, I'd say it's ready for the hold forum. And it's certainly worth it.

There's a link at the top of the hold forum to a form for uploading your hold, which I've copied here for you: http://www.drod.net/forum/uploadhold.php
03-09-2004 at 02:37 PM
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
I just finished this hold, and I must say.... Wow. This was the most fun I've had playing a hold in a long time. Great job!

I agree with gds - this one is definitely ready for the holds forum.

03-10-2004 at 05:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Drizzo
Rank Points: 179
So after the gobs and gobs of praise heaped on this hold, I decided to attempt it, and was loving it, finding it absolutely amazing, until about my 15th room in... then my DROD crashed and isn't wont start any more.
I get a file called stderr.txt when I try to run DROD now that says Fatal signal: Segmentation Fault (SDL Parachute Deployed)
I don't know what it means, but it can't be good... if it's not fixed after I reboot we're having words. Your hold killed my DROD! But other than that teensy weensy hardly noticable flaw, it's looking grade A...
--------------
YOUR HOLD SUCKS!!!!!!!!! ARRRRGH DIE!!!!! :thumbsdown :~( :no :angry :twak :bangin :ranting :pokey :spamlaser :surprise :bomb
Oh well... I always wanted to reinstall anyway

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-10-2004 at 07:55 AM GMT: Needed to Vent]

03-10-2004 at 07:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
Wow! Now that might just be a bug :yes. You should probably let the dev group know. Strange that it happened only 15 rooms in. I haven't heard of this happening before, just the slowdown as you are almost done with the hold. On a lighter note, are you running Drod on a 386? (Just Kidding :))
03-10-2004 at 05:13 PM
DiMono
Actually, I'm planning on installing Webfoot on my 486 laptop. I'd put it on a faster laptop, but I don't have one...

Anyway, I was just reviewing this thread and noticed that back on the first page bandit asked how to make a hold anyone-edit. I'm sure you've already discovered how to do this, but just in case, and for anyone else who hasn't, here it is:

When you're in the main Build screen, where you can switch between holds and levels and such, just above the room mini-view is a little menu for (I think) Hold Settings, which has three options for "Who Can Edit?": Anyone, You and Conquerers, Only You. Setting this to Anyone makes the hold anyone-edit, and the default is Only You (I think... not at a computer with DROD on it right now).

03-10-2004 at 05:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Reinstalled, about 40% done maybe a little more with the hold, hasn't killed my DROD this time, so on a scale of 1-10 I give it a 9.9 because it has so many unique and interesting puzzles with challenge and plenty of fun ones, and some classic style puzzles brought to new levels ... it loses the .1 points for nearly constantly making me start over after I think I've got the room all set and for being ungodly hard to navigate. Seriously though, absolutely amazing hold. wow. you get + points for this one
--------
oh yeah, I don't know if someone mentioned it, or if it was intentional but the level 4s3w you can't get to the scroll, and is also quite easy
Click here to view the secret text

[Edited by Drizzo on 03-11-2004 at 04:14 AM GMT]

03-11-2004 at 04:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
4S3W: I'll make the quick change and put it back up for download. I will also move this over to the holds forum...
----
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad it hasn't killed your drod thus far...

[Edited by zzyzx on 03-11-2004 at 04:35 AM GMT]
03-11-2004 at 04:33 AM
zzyzx
Okay, it's been moved over to the Holds Forum. :) Now what?
03-11-2004 at 04:45 AM
bandit1200
zzyzx wrote:
Okay, it's been moved over to the Holds Forum. :) Now what?
Rest on your laurels. Or better still, don't, and make another hold just as enjoyable. :)
03-11-2004 at 11:42 AM
zzyzx
:)
I've already started working on a new one. 24 rooms in already. I'll post it in a week or so...
03-11-2004 at 05:24 PM
DiMono
I look forward to playing your next hold, I'm sure it will be as fun and interesting as this one. Did you remember to change it back from Anyone Edit before submitting it to Holds? :)

One suggestion I have for your next hold: more than one level :D

03-11-2004 at 09:33 PM
Drizzo
100 room dungeon... 100 floors high :look

03-11-2004 at 10:29 PM
zzyzx
Ooops, no. It is still anyone edit.
03-11-2004 at 11:34 PM
zzyzx
Is that a bad thing? If so, how do I remove and resend?

I think i'll pass on the 10x10x10 though. At my rate of construction it would take a year!

[Edited by zzyzx on 03-11-2004 at 11:42 PM GMT]
03-11-2004 at 11:39 PM
Schik
zzyzx wrote:
Is that a bad thing? If so, how do I remove and resend?
Edit your profile, go to "My Holds". The rest should be obvious. Let me know if it gives you trouble.

03-11-2004 at 11:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zzyzx
I don't see an option to modify the editing status. But I do see a button to update the hold by reloading it. I assume this is what I should do then...

Btw, can people view room images? I can hide images from the database by clicking a box in the hold preferences screen. If they can be viewed, how does one do that?

Thanks
:smile
03-11-2004 at 11:53 PM
Schik
zzyzx wrote:
I don't see an option to modify the editing status. But I do see a button to update the hold by reloading it. I assume this is what I should do then...
Yes. Much easier than me allowing editing of the hold online.
Btw, can people view room images? I can hide images from the database by clicking a box in the hold preferences screen. If they can be viewed, how does one do that?
Sure! When you make a post to the forum, click on the "Insert DROD Room image" link to the right of the message textbox. You'll be prompted to select the Hold and Level, and then you'll see a layout of the level. Click on a room to see what the room looks like.

I'd never tried this with a level as large as yours. While it's a little sluggish to load it up, I'm happy to report it does work. :)

03-12-2004 at 12:51 AM
zzyzx
Thanks for the info! I'll reload the hold when I get home ~
03-12-2004 at 01:02 AM
gds
I've got the anyone edit version that was posted in the Hold forum and I'm sorry to say there is still a problem with the final room. The orb associated with the scroll does not open any door (but it closes the last two). It's actually worse than before as the room is not solvable anymore.

Eh, I could almost play this hold blindfolded now !
03-17-2004 at 08:54 AM
zzyzx
I'll check it out as soon as I get home! That is horrible!!
:no
I didn't think I changed anything there...
03-17-2004 at 04:10 PM
zzyzx
I just tried it and it works fine. You got this from the Hold page? Tis' strange...
03-18-2004 at 03:53 AM
gds
Sorry, I made a mistake, the orb works fine (although it only opens the door, it doesn't close the ones above). I got confused because you left the old orb which is still working, and for some reason I still inverted the clue for the scroll.
The old orb does not open the door anymore but it closes the two above it. I don't think that's what you intended but it's a minor thing.

However, the stairs sent me back to the start of the hold. It might be a problem with my install.
03-19-2004 at 08:50 AM
Page 3 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Loony Labyrinth
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes