Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Loony Labyrinth
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Re: New Hold: Loony Labyrinth (0)  
Serpents/Scrolls - no, scrolls only protect from serpents. Basically, a serpent cannot step on anything from the second "tab" in the editor - no scrolls, no arrows.

In room 2S1E,

Click here to view the secret text

03-03-2004 at 05:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zzyzx
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
Yep, that room wasn't meant to be a real challenge. I think I will make it a bit more interesting in the next edit.

I felt like the hold was done a few days ago, but its now a work in progress! :)

A little bit more work and it'll be done.
03-03-2004 at 06:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Just to clarify, because my previous post was written in a hurry and it seems rather incoherent to me now:

You can use the same mimic for all the brains.

03-03-2004 at 07:16 PM
swann_88
Rank Points: 87
beethro is only safe from snakes while on a scroll
03-03-2004 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AgentIcarus
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
icon Re: New Hold: Loony Labyrinth (+1)  
Downloaded this hold this morning...still playing and loving it!

I still haven't gotten to all the rooms, but I think I've solved around half of the ones I've done.

I agree that this would be better on several levels (although you do get the chance to make some nice puzzles (SE corner, N Side for example) with a level this size.

There's a good mix of easy puzzles (1N 7W, 1S 4W as examples) and really difficult ones (3N 2E is causing me problems). Perhaps you could split them based on difficulty, but you'd lose the aesthetic quality of the level.

Question, some rooms (3N 3W, 2N 4W) don't seem to have much purpose - are these just placeholders for puzzles, or have I missed something?

I love it - keep up the good work! I look forward to seeing this hold in the Official Holds bitty soon.

AgentIcarus

03-03-2004 at 08:29 PM
bandit1200
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 290
AgentIcarus wrote:
There's a good mix of easy puzzles (1N 7W, 1S 4W as examples) and really difficult ones (3N 2E is causing me problems).
3N2E is the one I am on at the moment and it's causing me problems too, along with 5N2E. Great hold though. Guess who's got no work done again today? It's difficult to tell because of the size of the hold, but I think I'm not far off finishing.
03-03-2004 at 10:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
In room 2S1E,
Ooops, got my rooms confused. This room should have 5 more force arrows on the bottom. Kind of defeats the whole intent of the room without them...

Thanks eytanz

03-04-2004 at 03:46 AM
zzyzx
AgentIcarus
2N4W is pretty easy, and I am thinking of making it better. I didn't put as much time into it as I wanted. On the other hand, 3N3W is important and not just a placeholder... :)

I am seriously thinking of breaking this up just a little bit to help with the lag, perhaps keeping the core routes in the first level, and breaking out the outlying rooms into more levels...

03-04-2004 at 03:53 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I would recommend setting aside the rooms that make up the crumbly-wall maze in the middle, and then finding rooms with similar themes, and grouping them together. These groupings would end up being your levels, and any stray rooms that don't fit one of your themes can just be inserted wherever you please, as a break from the level theme, which is nice once in a while anyway.

I think I might have said something similar to this earlier in the thread somewhere, but I'm pretty sure that this post is significantly more coherent than that one.

03-04-2004 at 06:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zzyzx
I started looking into separating rooms and I have some ideas on what I can do. I just hate breaking it up :)

Anyway, I fixed some more bugs, from previous posts and some I found this evening. Also, I modified/recreated 3 rooms that I didn't really like all that much: 2S3E, 2N4W and 3S5W.

Did you complete the hold DiMono?
03-04-2004 at 07:12 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Nope, I've been busy working on stuff. I visit the forum on my self-appointed breaks. When I have time, I'll download the anyone-edit version and get back to it, but for now I get to be just another impartial observer.

03-04-2004 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
I personally like the single-level nature of the hold. It's definately a change from what we've all been playing, and your system of green doors makes it not all too difficult to get from one place to another. I haven't played to the point of experiencing lag yet, but it sounds as if it's only at the end of rooms and for only a second or two at that. I don't think that's too much of a price to pay for the atmosphere of the level. Besides, if you broke it into seperate levels, it wouldn't be much of a labyrinth now, would it?

03-04-2004 at 09:49 AM
eytanz
Yeah, I'd say leave it as it is - I wouldn't want every hold to be one huge level, but it really suits this hold very well.

03-04-2004 at 04:25 PM
zzyzx
Thanks guys. After attempting a break up last night, it became little a little daunting. I think, even given the lag, I will leave it as-is. I'll make the next hold's levels a bit smaller...

Btw, off topic, but what is a Rank Point?

[Edited by zzyzx on 03-04-2004 at 05:09 PM GMT]
03-04-2004 at 05:07 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
icon Re: New Hold: Loony Labyrinth (+1)  
zzyzx wrote:
what is a Rank Point?
Read the Moderation thread for an explanation.

[Edited by Nillo on 03-04-2004 at 05:13 PM GMT]

[Edited by Nillo on 03-04-2004 at 05:15 PM GMT]

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-04-2004 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AgentIcarus
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
Wurgle

I've found 97 rooms now (2S3W is hard) and I think I've completed most of them (the Restore option doesn't show me enough information, but I've been having a good day).

Still loving it.

Couple of quick points:
(1) The scroll in 2N is blank
(2) And am I still missing the point for rooms like 2N3E?
(3) I'm starting to get lag (5N1W seemed bad), but it's not been noticeable before now.

With a level this size you've got plenty of options for internal paths with the breaky-walls thing. That's nice.

I wouldn't say I've got any highlight rooms yet, but I did like 3S3W. Oh, and 4S1W has a quite easy solution:

I'll keep at it...each time I come back I complete a couple more rooms. Am not looking forward to having to get back to one-room-I-haven't-done when I get that far ;-)

AgentIcarus

03-04-2004 at 06:00 PM
zzyzx
4S1W was meant to have a hard and an easy solution depending on where you came from. So it was made that way...
:)
Happy you like the hold!
03-04-2004 at 08:49 PM
bandit1200
2S3W has me stumped completely, and I only need that one and it's neighbour to open the blue door to the last two rooms.
It's been great fun and beats hack and slash for me everytime.
03-04-2004 at 09:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zzyzx
2S3W

03-04-2004 at 09:17 PM
Stuwy
Rank Points: 212
100 rooms. Wow, just wow. So far it's very good, some rooms are pretty challenging. Biggest hold I ever played :D
03-04-2004 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
zzyzx wrote:
2S3W
Whatever I do, I end up with the roach stuck. I can't find how to move it to the right. I think some bed and a fresh look tomorrow might help.
03-04-2004 at 11:11 PM
RoboBob3000
1S2E has a trivial solution.

03-04-2004 at 11:51 PM
zzyzx
The newest version of the hold replaced the empty squares with open door tiles. You are unable to place mimics on them, so it's fixed. Unless I missed something else...
03-05-2004 at 12:13 AM
RoboBob3000
I've also discovered that it's possible to lock yourself into the lower right hand area of the hold by entering it via the red door in 3E without first clearing 4S1E. I learned that the hard way.

03-05-2004 at 12:32 AM
zzyzx
Also fixed in the latest version. Glad you didn't get turned off by the bugs... DiMono found a bunch of these problems early on. You got the alpha-alpha-pre-test version... :)

[Edited by zzyzx on 03-05-2004 at 01:05 AM GMT]
03-05-2004 at 01:00 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
You can't leave 2n4w after heading to 2n5w...

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
03-05-2004 at 01:34 AM
zzyzx
Darn, messed up on the arrows. Will fix and have back up shortly. This is one of the rooms I just modified. Ugh :)
03-05-2004 at 01:41 AM
zzyzx
Joker, you should be able to continue with this bug. 2N5W is not a 'required' room, but you should take a look at it, then restore 2N4W and continue on.
03-05-2004 at 01:48 AM
RoboBob3000
Finished! Good fun!

I don't know if this has been fixed in an updated version of this hold, but in your final room with all the orbs:

Again, if this has been fixed, ignore me.

03-05-2004 at 03:13 AM
zzyzx
Already fixed :D

So what did you like/not like about it RoboBob? Btw, did you also get the lag problem?
03-05-2004 at 05:01 AM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : New Hold: Loony Labyrinth
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com