Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spiders on all tilesets (Not just blue palace style)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
IP: Logged
icon Spiders on all tilesets (0)  
I figured this would have been suggested by now, and I found a single unreplyed to sentence by joker on this one, so I re-propose that spiders come in enough colors to blend in with other tilesets. From a programming perspective, the best way to do this might be to move the spiders to the tileset bitmaps and out of the general tiles bitmap.
I love the spider concept, but really don't like the palace! And blue spiders are a tish easier to see elsewhere.

02-28-2004 at 08:34 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Spiders on all tilesets (0)  
This has indeed been proposed before, and if I recall correctly the response from the Caravel team was that spiders are only in the game because nobody had any other ideas for level 10, and that Erik wasn't particularly pleased with their existence at all since they sort of go against the puzzling theme of DROD, turning it in to a game of "wait for the blinking eyes to appear" instead of plotting your next move (longest sentence? eat your heart out :D )

02-28-2004 at 10:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
This has indeed been suggested before by me, but I made two suggestions in one thread and they were promptly ignored, except for one or two posts stating that Erik doesn't like the whole blinkage idea.

Of course you could make your own...

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
02-28-2004 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Would it be possible to change the colour of the spiders yourself then use them in a hold?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-28-2004 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Well, yeah. You could theoretically swap the spider's colors to something else. But then you'd have to distribute the file with the hold and then everyone would realize you're using them.

~joker5

02-29-2004 at 03:29 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I think you'll be pleased at the solution we've come up with.

Matt

03-12-2004 at 10:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Oooh...another 1.7 mystery! Any guesses as to what the solution is?

03-12-2004 at 05:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Spiders on all tilesets (+1)  
I'm guessing that they threw out all of the styles except palace.

03-12-2004 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I'm guessing they threw out all the spiders.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-12-2004 at 06:11 PM
joker5
I'm guessing they threw out Beethro because of misconduct and in accordance with previous hints replaced him with a 20-year-old platinum-blonde prettyboy a la Metal Gear Solid Sons Of Liberty. Of course Beethro will still be playable for short portions, and gameplay will still be mostly the same, but there will now be sword -wielding portions :)

~joker5

03-12-2004 at 06:28 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
Or better, they equipped Beethro with Risk-o-Sense sunglasses.

[Edited by Nillo on 03-12-2004 at 08:24 PM GMT]

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
03-12-2004 at 07:05 PM
DiMono
Come now, this is just getting ridiculous. I think it's clearly obvious that in 1.7 you will in fact play a spider, and the current "Spiders" will bear a striking resemblance to Beethro, right down to the sword taking up another square. As a result, when you move, the Beethros will only move if you happened to blink when you stepped, because otherwise they can't see you.

03-12-2004 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Spiders on all tilesets (+2)  
Actually, it was decided that 1.7 was too colorful. The game's taking place in a dungeon, and dungeons aren't exactly known for being light and colorful places with cute little monster-thingies. Dungeons are dark, menacing places with huge monsters looking like a terror so pure that it can't be communicated through a mere PC monitor. Therefore, to more accurately emulate Beethro's experience, all the colors were removed. In stead, DROD 1.7 will be based on sound navigation, where the echo of Beethro's footsteps bounce off monsters and walls in a complete and utter darkness. Because of these changes, all you need to be able to play DROD 1.7 is a soundcard with speakers attached. A microphone will also be required, as all communication with the game are done through whistling various pitched notes.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 03-13-2004 at 12:50 AM GMT: typo]
03-13-2004 at 12:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Of course, this only moves things to a different sense spectrum. Spiders are still in it, in certain soundsets where they blend in with the background noise. And they make a cute little "tip-tap" sound when they blink.

03-13-2004 at 12:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
trick wrote:
In stead, DROD 1.7 will be based on sound navigation, where the echo of Beethro's footsteps bounce off monsters and walls in a complete and utter darkness. Because of these changes, all you need to be able to play DROD 1.7 is a soundcard with speakers attached. A microphone will also be required, as all communication with the game are done through whistling various pitched notes.
You stole this off SlashDot!

++Adam H. Peterson
03-13-2004 at 01:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
trick
AlefBet wrote:
You stole this off SlashDot!
I didn't, actually. Heh.
03-13-2004 at 01:32 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5383
trick wrote:
Actually, it was decided that 1.7 was too colorful. The game's taking place in a dungeon, and dungeons aren't exactly known for being light and colorful places with cute little monster-thingies. Dungeons are dark, menacing places with huge monsters looking like a terror so pure that it can't be communicated through a mere PC monitor. Therefore, to more accurately emulate Beethro's experience, all the colors were removed. In stead, DROD 1.7 will be based on sound navigation, where the echo of Beethro's footsteps bounce off monsters and walls in a complete and utter darkness. Because of these changes, all you need to be able to play DROD 1.7 is a soundcard with speakers attached. A microphone will also be required, as all communication with the game are done through whistling various pitched notes.
Ooooh, sweet! Can we see a screenshot?

03-13-2004 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Heh heh...

I think you forgot the [/justkidding] tags.

It's been mentioned in other places that there will be a lot more tilesets, right?

And by the way, I don't have speakers that work. :D

03-13-2004 at 02:08 AM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Schik wrote:
Ooooh, sweet! Can we see a screenshot?

Of course here is one.

03-13-2004 at 02:14 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I can't see the picture. What is it?

03-13-2004 at 02:15 AM
DiMono
That sort of gives me an advantage, what with having a SB Live! and multiple speaker system, then, doesn't it?

Oh, and Hawk? ...never mind.

03-13-2004 at 03:29 AM
The_Red_Hawk
DiMono wrote:
Oh, and Hawk? ...never mind.

:lol

Now I can see the picture. It's all black - I get the joke.....

03-13-2004 at 03:57 AM
trick
That's a screenshot from an earlier prototype, before we got around to removing the last color, black. I don't know how Scott got hold of it, but we'll be sending over some thugs to his house to find out. Anyway, the newest version doesn't contain any colors at all, and actually creates a movable hole in the screen, so you can see through into the inside of the monitor case. This is especially nifty for flat-screen displays, as you can just put the screen up against for example a wall, and turn brightness and contrast up to maximum to increase the depth of the hole, thereby creating a hole through the wall. Objects can move freely through these holes, but it's risky -- if the window were to close, whatever object was in the hole at the time would be sliced in two (or stuck inside a wall).

For the interested, we had another prototype before this latest one that solved the remove-the-black problem by generating a black hole inside the monitor, but we scrapped this idea after losing our entire team of testing monkeys.

- Gerry

[Edited by trick on 03-13-2004 at 12:24 PM GMT]
03-13-2004 at 12:23 PM
masonjason
Truly groundbreaking stuff. I'm worried, however, about the potential for health hazards if someone stands behind the screen with the brightness and contrast turned up.

03-13-2004 at 12:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Rank Points: 55
That's too complex. Actually, the game will flash the screen in all colors of the rainbow at 50 FPS, until you can't see the spiders. Or anything else.
03-13-2004 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Rank Points: 77
I think spiders should turn into burrowing roaches that only appear when they are within 5 spaces of you, and should be branded "1.7".

The best hold in the world!
03-14-2004 at 02:42 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Just had to jump in to say that Trick made a nice WoT reference noone picked up on....and said.

As for my opinion on spiders, I think they will be given top hats and canes, and do a broadway number whenever the "Danger!" music plays.

03-14-2004 at 03:36 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Spiders on all tilesets (-1)  
Yeah, now you're all laughing at trick's description of 1.7, but how many of you know that someone is actually making such a game? There's even a screenshot section there!

Anyway, back on topic...

I found this little tidbit on SourceForge. (Warning, spoilers about 1.7) Here's what the description says:
Click here to view the secret text

03-14-2004 at 07:45 AM
masonjason

On a different note: another feature request thread turning into Spying on Caravel! :-O

[Edited by masonjason on 03-14-2004 at 10:03 AM GMT]

03-14-2004 at 10:02 AM
Watcher
Rank Points: 902

03-14-2004 at 08:15 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Spiders on all tilesets (Not just blue palace style)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com