Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Moderation.
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
IP: Logged
icon Re: Moderation. (+1)  
agaricus5 wrote:
sebhaque wrote:
I have the same birthday as Onieromancer :D

Why is this relevant to this Moderation thread?

It was obviously a test to see what kind of moderation an off topic post would get. :lol
08-09-2004 at 01:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NoahT
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1132
I have something to bring up: Before the six months that I did nothing on the forum, which was before the addition of the new system, my post count was 292, very close to reaching a new rank. Now my rank points are much lower, but they wouldn't have have had I only made eight more posts. I'm not sure it's that fair to spend so much more active time in a rank that you'd almost left, since now it'll take much longer to move to the next rank, all because of an eight post difference. My suggestions are either that if your post count was close to a new rank before the mod system, your rank points should've been set to the number needed to reach the next rank instead of the current one, or, for the rank points to have been set to some number close to what the current post count was. But, seeing how long the mod system has been in effect, and how much the post counts have changed, I don't know if either suggestion is possible. It would also surely take too long for the moderators to go through everyone's old posts to rate them.

Anyone have any bright ideas?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-26-2004 at 08:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Sorry fella, it may be unfair, but I doubt we'd ever come up with anything that was completely fair to everybody. And yes, corrections of the sort you describe do tend to take a lot of time. When troubled about rank points, remember just... how... IMPORTANT... they really are. ;)

-Erik

08-26-2004 at 08:54 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
icon Re: Moderation. (0)  
Maybe the moderators could search for all the users whose rank points are a ridiculous amount lower than their post counts (say, a difference of 100 or greater), and increase the rank points of only those users. Just a thought, though.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 08-26-2004 at 07:24 PM GMT: Added Example]

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

08-26-2004 at 08:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
NoahT wrote:
Maybe the moderators could search for all the users whose rank points are a ridiculous amount lower than their post counts (say, a difference of 100 or greater), and increase the rank points of only those users. Just a thought, though.

-Noah

[Edited by NoahT on 08-26-2004 at 07:24 PM GMT: Added Example]

Nah... I don't agree with this. That lessens the system. It just brings it back down to "the more I post, the more rank points I get." We changed it to this system in the first place to try to get people to post more meaningful posts and less spam.

And just like Erik said, they don't matter much anyway. They just help create a nicer atmosphere for the forum.

[Edited by Zmann on 08-26-2004 at 07:41 PM GMT]
08-26-2004 at 08:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Besides, I have over 2300 posts. Can you imagine how long it would take me to distribute that many mod points?

08-27-2004 at 03:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 432
I know you can't mod yourself up but are you able to mod yourself down?I don't want to try unless I know you can't.someone in charge,please answer.

12-01-2004 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
Not so big deal to try them:

Own post +1:
We *know* you like your own posts. Moderating is to see if everybody ELSE likes them as well.

Own post -1:
You don't like your own post? I should probably just let you mod it negative, but since I won't let you mod it positive, I won't let you mod it negative either.
12-01-2004 at 11:02 PM
rowrow
Doom wrote:
It is since I don't want to lose a point.Maybe you don't think so since you have many points.

12-01-2004 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
rowrow wrote:
Doom wrote:
It is since I don't want to lose a point. Maybe you don't think so since you have many points.
And what if I lost one? I'm sure that it wouldn't spoil my day even if I lost fifty. They're just numbers and you shouldn't take them too seriously. And what about Erik? He lost around 2000 rank points a while ago. And I'm quite sure that he's not crying to get them back.
12-02-2004 at 05:08 AM
rowrow
If its nothing,then why are they there? Why doesn't everyone in charge just take all the points from everyone? As a matter of fact I would like if they did that. So there won't be points anymore.

12-02-2004 at 05:16 AM
Doom
It wouldn't matter to lose many points because of no reason.
It's a little bit different if you get modded because your post was very bad or offended someone.

I wouldn't want to lose points that way.

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:12-02-2004 at 02:43 PM]
12-02-2004 at 05:24 AM
rowrow
Like the invisible rule?

12-02-2004 at 03:24 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
In the invisible rule the points aren't really lost... they are relocated to the winner :)
Now, I would be kinda angry if I lost, say, money for no reason, but alot less so if I spent it on gambling.
The idea of points that you get only if other people like your posts is really good, but lets not get carried
away into thinking the points you get are the reason you post stuff. You post stuff because you like the
forums and the people who dwell there, and want to be a part of the community.

12-02-2004 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
rowrow
In the invisible rule the points aren't really lost... they are relocated to the winner
I jumped off a cliff today.I didn't die,no.I just ripped open my body and head and my heart and brain flew out.
:D Sorry if I am insulting you.

12-02-2004 at 08:56 PM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
rowrow wrote:
In the invisible rule the points aren't really lost... they are relocated to the winner
I jumped off a cliff today.I didn't die,no.I just ripped open my body and head and my heart and brain flew out.
:D Sorry if I am insulting you.
It's ok, I have been considered heartless and brainless by many people, so uh, welcome to the club and stuff.

(note the intentional double meaning here, hurhur)
But we're getting off-topic here. Let's discuss the invisible rule game in the appropriate topic, and leave this one for discussion on moderation points.

12-02-2004 at 10:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
While not really having any contribution to this thread worthy of note, I'd just like to say that it is utterly terrifying to contemplate how somebody manages to lose two thousand rank points (Given what I've seen is a general ability to drop by what, -80~?) and still somehow not be banned.

That's, like, skill or something.

03-14-2005 at 05:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
That's because the person who lost 2000 rank points, Erik, is the original creator of DROD and he lost the points through messing around with the forum code in one way or another. :lol

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
03-14-2005 at 06:08 PM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Re: Moderation. (+2)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
and he lost the points through messing around with the forum code in one way or another.
No, no, that's not true! Haven't you read the Story behind it? :D

03-14-2005 at 06:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
And suddenly I've noticed that Rowrow doesn't like the rank points system if it's pointless. Why is that, rowrow?

Matt

03-15-2005 at 01:31 AM
rowrow
Its pointless b/c the points is that there are no points in the points system.
The most points in a sentence yeah? :)

03-15-2005 at 01:44 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
No points in the system? Not counting moderators, there are 26318 mod points in the system right now.

03-15-2005 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
rowrow
Sometimes the mod points aren't flowing out alot. Or enough.
I wish Erik gives us another "50 Mod Point Bonus Day". That would be cool.Everyone gets at least 2 rank points every day for a while.
Or once every 2 or 3 months there can be a week when mods will give out more points that week. Just an idea.

[Edited by rowrow at Local Time:03-15-2005 at 02:03 AM]

03-15-2005 at 01:58 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Row row, I'm tempted to give you a bunch of mod points, but it goes against my principle that nobody who asks for something should get it. ;)

-Erik

03-15-2005 at 02:31 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
rowrow
I don't want it. Help! he is giving me mod points!
hope that worked

03-15-2005 at 02:41 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I'll save you! Erik! Give them to me!

Matt (who needs them not)

03-16-2005 at 03:59 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
What can you do with spare mod points ? I could probably live with 10/month.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
03-22-2005 at 08:42 PM
wackhead_uk
Rank Points: 352
I just had a think; if when a normal peson moves their mouse over the mod button it shows how many mod points they have left...what dos it show with a mod?
03-22-2005 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
wackhead_uk wrote:
I just had a think; if when a normal peson moves their mouse over the mod button it shows how many mod points they have left...what dos it show with a mod?
For me it says "Cost: 2 (out of 99999582)". Mods actually have a limit, it's just insanely high and refillable. (Hope I didn't spill the beans, there.)

++Adam H. Peterson
03-22-2005 at 09:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zaubberer
Rank Points: 251
the first note: i didn't read the whole thread before i wrote this posting.

second: because i'm a german native i didn't understand the whole meaning of the postings i read :blush

but at all there is growing one question in my mind:

wouldn't it be the easiest and most fair thing to go back to the 'old' system? so that everybody can give points to others? the moderators should have a look at this and they could place an intervention against moddings that are too 'unusual'...

i believe that the users of caravelnet are fair enough so that they don't missuse modding points!

zaubberer
:wizard
12-18-2005 at 12:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 4 of 5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Moderation.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com