Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Brute - new monster
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Brute - new monster (0)  
To put it simple...

1. Brute moves like a roach.
2. If a monster can move freely, it can NEVER stop Brute from moving by blocking his way.
3. When a monster gets in the way of Brute, it is pushed aside anyway ! Brute exchanges squares with a monster.
4. A Brute can never displace another brute.
5. Red Hawk - it's already perfectly fine. No need for further complications. Plenty of stuff can be designed with such monster, it's easy to understand and opens new depth for puzzles.

Comments:
2) Monsters immune to displacement are: other Brutes, Snakes, Tar Mother, and various cases of monsters stuck on force arrows. Of course Brute can't exchange position with a Wraithwing floating over pit.If Brute is standing on closed door, it CAN'T exchange position (reasons are obvious). Same if Brute is stuck in force arow, etc.
3) Actually I think it's better when Brute exchanges position instead of pushing aside. This way you always know where is the weakling going to be tossed.
4) - let's not be silly.
5) - nothing personal.

[Edited by b0rsuk on 02-15-2004 at 06:56 PM GMT]

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-15-2004 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Brute - new monster (0)  
I like this anyways. No need for the personal comment.

Can it displace tar?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
02-15-2004 at 07:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
b0rsuk wrote:
5. Red Hawk - it's already perfectly fine. No need for further complications. Plenty of stuff can be designed with such monster, it's easy to understand and opens new depth for puzzles.

I really shouldn't do this.

I really shouldn't, especially because someone said not to (I forgot who).

But...

Look at the text in bold. Doesn't that look a bit arrogant to you? If the monster is so "perfect", then no-one will need to make a comment negatively about it, and you will know, because no-one will make one. However, I don't think it's very necessary or polite to actually say it and tell us what to think, rather than let us form our own opinions on the subject.

Basically, if you post it to this forum, let your own creation be open to comment, scrutiny and suggestion. If you don't want this, then just send it to Erik directly.

02-15-2004 at 08:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
I don't think it's different enough from a normal roach. If it could swap places with your sword as well - then :yes.
(Disclaimer: don't worry, that was a joke.)

[Edited by masonjason on 02-15-2004 at 11:07 PM GMT]

02-15-2004 at 11:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
Right now this monster has no actual potential as a monster by itself, right? It only has more potential than your normal roach when placed alongside other monsters.

Problem is that even in *such* a situation, it still has no potential if the other monsters are roach-like moving -- roaches, tar babies, spiders, moving eyeballs and the like.

So, we ended up with a monster which has some minor potential if it's at the same time accompanied with either wraithwings or goblins...

... sorry, I just don't think this is good enough.

I think this is a monster-idea that definitely *does* need something extra to be added to it, because the bit about switching places with other monsters just doesn't feel adequate enough...

Perhaps if it was "brutish" enough to ignore arrows? But such a thing would probably be significant enough that in such a case we wouldn't need the "displaces monsters" bit.
02-15-2004 at 11:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
You're forgetting, Aris, that there will be more non-roach-like monsters in future versions. You do have a point about its limited use, though. It probably does need another capability.

02-16-2004 at 12:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
What about brains? And sleeping eyes?

If eyes could be displaced in their sleeping state, that would be pretty good.

02-16-2004 at 12:08 AM
masonjason
Yes! In fact, there could be puzzles involving using brutes to swap brains into accessible areas. Still quite limited, though.

02-16-2004 at 12:26 AM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
To be honest, I forgot about brains and sleeping eyes. Brute should be able to displace them, more fun and unique this way.

By the way Brute *does* matter when it comes to replacing roach queens. Even if they move just like ordinary roaches, it makes difference (spawn count etc).

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-16-2004 at 05:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
In the movement order, does a brute go before other monsters? Because if not, the other monsters will probably slip out of the way before the brute displaces it.

02-16-2004 at 06:52 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I like the idea, especially combined with the ability to traverse force arrows, like Aris said.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
02-17-2004 at 09:44 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
All right, how about this - instead of it being roach movement, it will always consider two other squares when moving, whether orthogonal or diagonal.

(What this ends up meaning is that it looks kinda like it's brained, because it'll step around your sword, but it will get stuck just like normal. Sorta like it's brained but only when it's close.)

Matt

02-18-2004 at 03:47 AM
The_Red_Hawk
How about a monster that can push Beethro's sword aside?

02-18-2004 at 05:25 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
No! Uh-uh. The only living thing that controls the sword, is Beethro, not monsters. Granted, I was the one who suggested sword arrows, but those are not alive, and can not kill Beethro.

No monsters push the sword.

02-18-2004 at 05:46 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
zex20913 wrote:
No monsters push the sword.
Sometimes we don't understand how a certain feature request would be useful, but in my opinion dogmatic putdowns of new ideas only tend to squelch creativity. I do recommend stating specific reasons why a new feature would or would not enhance game play or the DROD experience in general.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-18-2004 at 07:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
*le sigh* alrighty then, I will attempt to delve into my gut instinct, seeing as "I really don't like this idea" doesn't work.

1. It brings up the question of how the monster would be killed, if it can push the sword.

2. Maybe I'm just a control freak, but if I was playing, and some monster just up and moved my sword, I would be rather pissed.

3. Insofar as we know, Beethro is mighty strong to be able to hold such a sword at such a distance for such a time. It would take an act of incredible might to swing Beethro around as well (physically difficult)

4. I see no real potential for anything like this, except perhaps to aggravate the player, or throw them into a chase scene.

I think mainly it's the control issue. Possession is nine tenths of the law, Beethro holds his sword, so Beethro should choose what the sword does.

02-18-2004 at 10:38 PM
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Well what if the brute could crush crumbly walls just like Beethro? And what if it looked like a red goblin>->:sick carrying a Pepsi :pepsi ?

The best hold in the world!
02-29-2004 at 05:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Brute - new monster
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes