Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ray Gun for Beethro
Page 2 of 8
3456>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Re: Ray Gun for Beethro (0)  
I have just two words for you all:

Suicide Nuke

When you're going to die anyway, just press 'n' and take the baddies all down with you! This hotkey kills all the monsters, and Beethro and his mimics, turns everything on the map to pit, and shuts down the computer. Neat, eh?

01-28-2004 at 12:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Nahhh. when he dies he DOES point his weapon randomly about the screen, so with a RayGun he'd vaporize the screen. And no need for nasty shutdown either!

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-28-2004 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
OMG! THINK OF TEH PUZLZE POTNETIAL!

This has indeed become quite a ruckus. Unfortunately, it's impossible to tell who really wants these ideas, and who's just kidding around (hard to believe anyone would WANT such ideas, but then you have people like Mayhog and Joker).

And Zex, I love your new "RayGun!" tagline, used to such great effect in another FR thread. :lol Of course, be sure to use the appropriate RayGun! smiley. :spamlaser

01-28-2004 at 08:50 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I don't know what's better, all the brilliant suggestions being suggested, (and yes, they're all in 1.7, along with giant clouds of letters that hover around Beethro and occasionally, as is traditional, spell "SFX" and get confused for some other word, and a big stick weapon that works just like a sword except it's a stick), or Hawk's absolutely deadpan posts! Give that man a sense of humour!

Matt

01-28-2004 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
>.< Ok, no more positive examples on this board for you!, Sokko!

~joker5

01-28-2004 at 09:10 PM
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
HOLY HAND GRENADE LOLZ!!!!!!! IF WORMZ USIS IT TEN DORD MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL OMG~~~ :P !!!1111
01-28-2004 at 11:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Stuwy wrote:
....DORD....

DORD?

:lol

01-28-2004 at 11:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
joker5
Oh no. Someone get a straight jacket, we have a l33t on the l00s3.

~joker5

01-29-2004 at 12:44 AM
Mayhog
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I for one am being completely 100% serious. I think we should use 95% of the ideas listed in this thread, and also a SEX CHANGE POTION!!!!! Turns beethro into Bee Arther, only then may he open the new mauve colored (Maude) doors. :thumbsup

01-29-2004 at 01:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Ooh! And we could have the sex-altered Beethro wear a dress instead of those gray pants. Make it flowery. There aren't enough pretty things in the game. Who wants cockroach guts when you can have a fabric with artificial tulips?

01-29-2004 at 02:34 AM
Stuwy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 212
you gotta dress up the queens like the queen of england..

Or beethro with an afro. Your choice.
01-29-2004 at 04:10 AM
zex20913
Beefro

01-29-2004 at 05:31 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I have a sense of humour. I just don't think this thread is very funny.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-29-2004 at 07:07 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Beefro

Ordinarily I would say this is a useless post, being only one word (much like another of our members' post which consisted only of a single smiley), but it's such an incredibly hilarious word that it can't possibly be defined as useless! :lol

DORD? What would that be, Deadly Orbs... er... agh, I can't think of anything. Brain freeze. :P

01-29-2004 at 10:52 PM
zex20913
Deadliness of Rooms Deadly?

01-30-2004 at 02:31 AM
DiMono
Death, Orbs, Red Doors

01-30-2004 at 03:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
The French version of the game?

No, wait, that's SMDM (Salles Mortelles De Mort).

It's been remarked that people with no sense of humour will swear black and blue that they do, they just don't find *this* very funny. Something to ponder.

Matt

01-30-2004 at 06:40 AM
joker5
I swear I have a sense of humor. I don't find this hilarious.

I mean, a little bit of sarcasm about the rules and regulations is ok, but these suggestions just about broke them all. Now there's no where to go.

IMO, a good joke is one that leaves opportunities for OTHER jokes.

~joker5

01-30-2004 at 01:30 PM
DiMono
Alright, for those of you who don't find this thread humourous, you should take it seriously. I started it to make the point that many of the recent feature requests were unreasonable, calling for explicit changes to how the game works. Other people jumped on board to help make the point.

The thread is meant to be a humourous example of over-the-top feature requests, but if you don't want to take this thread as amusement, then take it to heart.

01-30-2004 at 02:14 PM
joker5
Consider your point made. *lightbulb* Ow. My perspective just shifted.

If Beethro gets so many nifty items and powers... and we're still preserving DRODness... think of the powers that even a humble Roach will posess. Probably constant brained logic, a railgun for long-distance-through-walls-attacks, and maybe a spear so it can stab Beethro 2 squares away if he gets too close.

Goblins would probably be able to call in tactical air strikes, which Beethro would have to counter...

And of course Brains would make monsters dodge your sword whenever stabbed like the 'Neather does, so they're invincible.

And they'd control huge cyborgs that carry vital parts!

Evil eyes would HAVE to have beam powers. Otherwise it just wouldn't be fair:(

Tar would probably become ACID! So if you're next to it you DIE!

Acid babies would probably leave holes in the ground! MWAHAAH!

And spiders would be invisible ALL THE TIME!

Mwah!

Sorry, perspective shifts tend to unbalance me.

~joker5

01-30-2004 at 03:57 PM
The_Red_Hawk
I certainly take this thread seriously. I just think that this thread has absolutely no humour and no point to it. There aren't *that* many "over-the-top" feature requests, and even then, they usually comply with Erik's requests.

01-30-2004 at 07:01 PM
DiMono
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
I certainly take this thread seriously. I just think that this thread has absolutely no humour and no point to it. There aren't *that* many "over-the-top" feature requests, and even then, they usually comply with Erik's requests.
Um... have you read all the feature requests? Recently, they've been mostly ideas that are cool on their own, but have absolutely no place in DROD. Like blue goblins and tanks, for example.

01-30-2004 at 08:14 PM
Mattcrampy
There is a point where you have to consider economy of elements. We can't just stuff everything in and hope for the best - you have to choose the ones which have a wide variety of applications. There was a suggestion on SourceForge I quite liked that was basically another sort of brain, except it was an electric generator. Anything electric in the room would be amplified.

But consider - none of the current elements are electric. This new creature's job is to support other new creatures, and it has no effect on the old ones. Although it's a neat idea, it doesn't work well with other elements.

That's the thing you have to keep in mind - are new monsters being added for their own sake, or do they fill a niche that's currently unoccupied?

Matt

01-31-2004 at 12:28 AM
The_Red_Hawk
DiMono wrote:
Have you read all the feature requests? Recently, they've been mostly ideas that are cool on their own, but have absolutely no place in DROD.

Erik asked us to keep a few regulations on what we ask for, remember? As far as I know, this is the only thread where *all* the rules have been broken by people who knkow them.

01-31-2004 at 03:18 PM
zex20913
...Hawk...that's kind of the point. This thread is kind of a "Don't ask for this" thread. I personally would never ask for any of these things in another thread, seemingly real.

That is kind of a point of sarcasm: Presenting things in a way that the thing you are "praising" is really degraded. Note that another point is to be funny.

Read everything here with the mindset that "They don't really want this, they are mocking other things similar to them." for a crash course in sarcasm.

And please don't try to say you know it already. In every response of yours I've seen, you have taken the sarcasm seriously, instead of sarcastically. Or, at least, that's the way it comes across.

01-31-2004 at 05:17 PM
The_Red_Hawk
I know what sarcasm is, but it's hard sometimes to figure out what someone is saying because you can't hear their tone of voice. If it was something like

oh, of course

then it would be easy to understand.

01-31-2004 at 08:04 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
DiMono wrote:
Have you read all the feature requests? Recently, they've been mostly ideas that are cool on their own, but have absolutely no place in DROD.

Erik asked us to keep a few regulations on what we ask for, remember? As far as I know, this is the only thread where *all* the rules have been broken by people who knkow them.

Hawk, the thread is therefore pointing something out, just like many have already said:

All the things in this thread are absolutely ludicrous and silly - none of these should ever make their way into DROD (Although the ray gun does resemble DRODIS). Therefore, people are saying these things as a joke - purely as a form of humour. It is true that you may not find it funny, but others do, which is partly the reason why this thread is here.

The other reason is to highlight the increasing problem of requeses that other people think are too "over the top". What this means is that many people are not thinking that the requests being turned out seriously are, in their opinions, too un-DRODish for the game. The thread is trying to express this view, although using humour instead of the more obvious way one usually communicates a message.

In short, the thread is saying this: "We think that the new requests are too outlandish for DROD, and that their introduction would turn DROD into a totally different game."

Some psycho-analysis from here does seem to suggest that there are one or two of you who are taking this thread and board too seriously because you are trying to gain some sort of attention or recognition on the forum through posting as many feature requests as possible. What this means to me is that the posting of whatever comes to mind as a request is not just purely for the addition of things to DROD, but also because of the desire for recognition as an expert in monster creation to the rest of us. Thus, the ignoring of the thread's humour could be a side effect of this as the thread undermines the efforts of creating future monsters, and so to people intent on creating more monster ideas, this thread also undermines their creativity.

I don't want to sound like I'm shouting about undignified dinner jackets, but I think this is what is happening, or something very close to it. I'm not pointing fingers or trying to offend, but I do believe that feature request submission is getting a little too excessive. I'm not saying to stop - creativity is what will keep DROD moving on and expanding, but what I am saying is that you should stop and think to yourself before submission:
"What will this add to DROD? Will others be able to understand and use it as well, even though I can? Is it something that people will like, or is it too restrictive and annoying/tedious?"

01-31-2004 at 08:07 PM
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
The_Red_Hawk wrote: Erik asked us to keep a few regulations on what we ask for, remember? As far as I know, this is the only thread where *all* the rules have been broken by people who knkow them.

You forget the *reason* Erik gave us those regulations - mainly that the stuff he named didn't fit his image of what DROD is and should be.

The problem is that there are lots and lots of other ideas suggested that *obviously* also don't fit what DROD is. They are not as easily categorized to be expressly banned by Erik with a simple guidline, but they can nonetheless be mocked just as surely, as *again* missing the point of what DROD is... in our ever so humble opinion ofcourse.

There have been suggestions that Beethro should have the ability to jump over pits at will, forgetting perhaps the point of "pits" as blocking Beethro's movements. There are suggestion that Beethro should change his weaponry *at will*, making it into a crossbow or a shield or a spear, forgetting perhaps that this will destroy every single room of every single hold ever created.

There are convoluted suggestion that forget that one of DROD's characteristic elements is the simplicity that governs most of its monsters' behaviour - the behaviour of DROD's monsters can almost always be described in one or two lines.

Hell, there are even suggestions that there should in essense be "crew bosses" in each level, huge ten-square size monsters -- no need to describe their actual behaviour, ofcourse, because wouldn't it just be *cool* to have huge 10x10-size monsters around?

At this point we lose any pretense that we are dealing with DROD any longer -- which is a *puzzle* game, that doesn't derive its coolness by how huge a monster Beethro gets to vanquish, and where difficulty of a room or a hold, doesn't derive from how individually hard-to-slay is each monster, and where enjoyment doesn't derive from the size or destructiveness of Beethro's weaponry...

But the main point IMO is this: The Potential/Complication ratio, which people that suggest things ought to keep in mind. The higher the better. Complication ends up *removing* the worth of a suggestion, not enlarging it.
02-01-2004 at 12:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
icon Re: Ray Gun for Beethro (+1)  
That means no ray gun, then?
02-01-2004 at 03:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
joker5
LOL!

You gotta love this forum's humor.

~joker5

02-01-2004 at 03:43 AM