Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ray Gun for Beethro
Page 1 of 8
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
IP: Logged
icon Ray Gun for Beethro (+1)  
How about giving Beethro a Ray Gun? Every turn, things in a line in front of him die! And then there could be a potion that makes it 3 lines! Wouldn't this be cool!?

And then he could get a Mount, that will let him move three times while monsters only move once! If he has the Ray Gun, and he's on the Mount, he could kill a hundred monsters per turn! Wouldn't this be cool?

And then, later on, he could get a Motorcycle! Five moves per turn! Can't you just see the puzzle potential here?

01-26-2004 at 03:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
icon Re: Ray Gun for Beethro (0)  
Now look what you just did. My sarcasm meter exploded!

01-26-2004 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Ray Gun for Beethro (+1)  
I've got a couple, I'll send you one.

You forgot to add in the monster that feeds off of the ray gun, and grows by a radius of one square every turn that it's hit by it! That would be extremely cool! It could be "Marshmallow Man" and then we could have an NPC named Egon who comes in once the Marshmallow Man can't grow any more, and he'll put it into a one-square thingy which Beethro can then hit with the motorcycle to kill it. Yeah!

Except it'd be much cooler if, instead of a ray gun, it was laser eyes, on Beethro! Maybe a Beam Eye (not necessarily in the game) felt sorry for him, and told him how!

Hey! Beethro is Superman! He already has X-ray vision (sorta) and now with laser eyes? OH! Ice breath! Everything in a frontal 5-square radius is destroyed! And he can fly. But then we introduce a rock called Beethrite that takes away all of his superpowers, which is sad, but it can be eaten by a rhinoceros, which can be pre-placed, and moves opposite how Beethro does! Yeah!

01-26-2004 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Ooh! Ooh! I got one! Beethro is given the Ray Gun by a Robot, whose moves are given by a script that the hold author has to input! The author will have to write a different script for each possible square that Beethro can enter the room on, and also a different one for each time of day! And only one of the possibilities would be solveable! It would be so much fun figuring that out!

Even better, the Robot is made up of little nanomachines, so whenever Beethro gets close, it dissipates and reforms at another location in the room, until it steps on the Stasis Field square, which is invisible unless 5 Brains are arranged around it in a Pentagram shape!

The possibilities are endless!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-26-2004 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
What DROD really needs is a whale. It can be an enemy or it can help Beethro, as long as it's a whale.

What?

01-26-2004 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
I thought we were against having extra weaponry for Beethro.....

Zex, what happened to "guy kills stuff with big sword"?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-26-2004 at 07:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Aris Katsaris
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 32
I'm afraid, people, that The_Red_Hawk is lost to us for ever.
01-26-2004 at 08:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Aris Katsaris wrote:
I'm afraid, people, that The_Red_Hawk is lost to us for ever.

?????

01-26-2004 at 11:09 PM
zex20913
Hawk-maybe I should send you one of my extra sarcasm meters.

Everyone else- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

That is all.

01-26-2004 at 11:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
I know it's obviously sarcasm, but what's the idea behind it?

01-26-2004 at 11:14 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
I think the idea is many are "going too far" with some of the requests, such as "Tanks" and "Blue Goblins" to use a recent example. I think it's to highlight the deviation of the requests from the original ideas of what DROD is.

Well, perhaps.

01-26-2004 at 11:17 PM
Aris Katsaris
Rank Points: 32
agaricus5 wrote:
I think the idea is many are "going too far" with some of the requests, such as "Tanks" and "Blue Goblins" to use a recent example. I think it's to highlight the deviation of the requests from the original ideas of what DROD is.

Well, perhaps.

Pretty much, yeah.

That and people thinking for some reason that something being extra-bizarrely convoluted is synonymous for "great source for puzzle potential". :-)
01-26-2004 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Skylancer64
Rank Points: 62
I agree. Nearly all of the suggested ideas are too complex and bizarre. They don't fit with the idea of DROD as good suggestions should. An idea should be simple to implement and elegant.

01-27-2004 at 01:06 AM
Mayhog
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
One word. INVENTORY. Beethro could hightail around different puzzles picking up object that interact with stationary objects in a key + lock sort of effect. A yellow key and a blue key is needed to open the green doors of course. You need to find Pinochio before the whale open's its mouth to allow enteance to the hidden "Whale intestine levels" You need the "weird red sawdust" to kill the new "Living puke" monster.

????

01-27-2004 at 01:30 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I think Erik specified before that he does *not* want anything at all that can be carried from room to room.

01-27-2004 at 01:43 AM
Oneiromancer
BUT JUST THIN OF TEH PUZZEL POTENTUL!!!!!11

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-27-2004 at 02:00 AM
The_Red_Hawk
Still.....

01-27-2004 at 02:43 AM
zex20913
Oneiromancer wrote:
BUT JUST THIN OF TEH PUZZEL POTENTUL!!!!!11

Game on,

Holy Shizzoli!

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA This is the best FR thread I've seen in a long time. Oh! And we should have a monster that dies if there are no doors open.

01-27-2004 at 03:12 AM
DiMono
Still, I think we're all missing what's clearly the most obvious feature to add to the game: Invisible Doors! They only open when 500 monsters are piled in behind them, which means you need to not kill things. Think of the puzzle potential!

01-27-2004 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Three words: Invisible goblin queens.

Yup, these nifty creatures are totally invisible. Every turn they have a 10% chance of producing a goblin. They normally move like brained solitary wraithwings except that they can't fly over pits (they don't respond to each other's presence like wraithwings, so if there's a group they'll still use the solitary wraithwing AI). Oh, and when they produce a goblin, they teleport somewhere random in the room.

Think of the puzzle potential - Beethro could literally spend hours trying to find one of these and not succeed!

[Edited by eytanz on 01-27-2004 at 05:29 AM GMT]

01-27-2004 at 05:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Zowie! This is sure the best stuff I've come across in a long time! I've got it all coded up for 1.7 :)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
01-27-2004 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
OOH! We could have the smiley face potion of doom! It destroys all monsters within a 10 square radius, but not mimics or Beethro! There would be safe spots that look like eyes and a smile though, because it's really a lot cooler that way.

01-27-2004 at 05:40 AM
lady euripides
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
I may be new at this, but here I go- what if Beethro has a magical gun given to him by a leprechaun, and when he shoots it, rainbows fly out! Then, when the rainbows hit the roaches, they become happy and pacifists, and then you can shut the game off because there is no point in playing it anymore! Think of the potential! It'd be great!

01-27-2004 at 05:53 AM
zex20913
That would be especially great, if there was a monster that could only be destroyed by pacifists and not by Beethro!

:hi as well. Enjoy the ruckus here.

01-27-2004 at 06:35 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
That idea is just as cool as when Captain EO used music and dance moves to defeat the grumpy space witch lady. In other words: very, very cool.

-Erik

01-27-2004 at 07:06 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
ErikH2000 wrote:
That idea is just as cool as when Captain EO used music and dance moves to defeat the grumpy space witch lady.

Erik wins, hands down, for the most obscure reference of the day. I can't believe you remember that much of the show!

Game on,

01-27-2004 at 08:57 AM
DiMono
Please, we've gotten off topic. This thread is really about the potential of giving Beethro a Random Teleportation Potion! Step on the potion, be teleported somewhere random on the screen, including the middle of walls! I can't even begin to imagine how cool this idea is!

And then, if a monster steps on it, the monster gets teleported DIRECTLY BEHIND BEETHRO! So if you don't step on it fast, you need to run! Fast! THINK OF THE PUZZLES!

01-27-2004 at 04:44 PM
Oneiromancer
DiMono wrote:
Step on the potion, be teleported somewhere random on the screen, including the middle of walls!

It's true. A game isn't really a game unless you can be telefragged.

Game on,

01-27-2004 at 04:59 PM
The_Red_Hawk
It can't be random, remember. Maybe you could choose.....

01-27-2004 at 05:18 PM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
Yes! How about a potion that, when monsters step on it, causes them to teleport into Beethro! Then you can REALLY be tele-fragged!

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-27-2004 at 06:49 PM
Page 1 of 8
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Ray Gun for Beethro
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No