Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Chronotron (time traveling robot game)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
stigant
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1182
IP: Logged
icon Chronotron (+2)  
Chronotron - control a robot with a time machine. Its a platform puzzle type game in which you can slowly build a solution involving multiple copies of yourself. Each of the previous copies does whatever they did the last time through the loop, while you control the most recent one.

05-09-2008 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Chronotron (+1)  
Neat. I felt terribly proud of completing level 12, especially using a trick I wasn't supposed to learn until a later level. The crumbling floor level (18?) seems to be buggy, though, and I'm having trouble with bonus levels 4 and 5.

I've seen the concept before, but this is the best implementation so far.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 05-09-2008 08:33 PM]
05-09-2008 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: Chronotron (+1)  
There are some non-deterministic type errors that seem to creep in. Probably the implementation is non-discrete (or not-discrete-enough) with respect to time, so playing the same script twice in a row doesn't always yeild the same results.

While I remember making some adjustments to deal with the nondeterminism (ex: waiting at the top of the lift for a couple of seconds to ensure that the lift would always be at the top before I started moving again, which I usually do anyway), I didn't do anything out of the ordinary on the crumbly floor level. One thing I did eventually notice though:
Click here to view the secret text

I've seen the concept before, but this is the best implementation so far.
Oh, yeah not totally original, but fun nonetheless. I think that the levels are more innovative than the other games I've seen with this theme. Also the pause button is quite cool. But I think some of the non-determinism gets in the way from time to time. I think that a DROD-like (ie turn-based stepping or whatever) would be the ideal setting for this idea since it would eliminate these problems. Personally, I'd like to see it in DROD, but I think its been shot down a couple of times in the feature request forum.

05-09-2008 at 09:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
icon Re: Chronotron (0)  
I must admit I gave-up at level 7 or 8. My brain just can't handle so many things at once. I really like the game, but couldn't play it to save my life, unless I spent all day on each level.
05-12-2008 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Chronotron (0)  
Awesome concept.

05-19-2008 at 08:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Chronotron (time traveling robot game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com