Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Simplicity DS
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Tim
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1979
IP: Logged

File: Simplicity01a.zip (74.3 KB)
Downloaded 172 times.
License: Other
icon Simplicity DS (+10)  
One of the advantages when your holds are really simple, is that it's easy to port.

So, as a programming exercise, I was trying to see how much I can do myself. Everything (code + graphics) is done from scratch.

Here's the result.

Note: New version (May 04 2008) - new file added.

(You might need a DS emulator for this, but it's probably very slow. Never tried.
In fact, I just downloaded it only to make some screenshots.)

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 05-04-2008 05:32 PM]
04-27-2008 at 05:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim

File: shots.png (14.3 KB)
Downloaded 1169 times.
icon Re: Simplicity DS (+2)  
Here's some screenshots.

[Last edited by Tim at 05-04-2008 05:35 PM]
04-27-2008 at 05:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: Simplicity DS (+1)  
That's excellent!

I downloaded a few emulators, and DeSmuMe worked the best (although the keys seem to not be mapped correctly - not sure if that's an emulator issue or a game issue) although a bit slow.

Great talent there :)
04-27-2008 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Simplicity DS (0)  
:surprise

Now I really need to find that DS flash card I have lying around somewhere.
04-27-2008 at 11:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Syntax wrote:
That's excellent!

I downloaded a few emulators, and DeSmuMe worked the best (although the keys seem to not be mapped correctly - not sure if that's an emulator issue or a game issue) although a bit slow.
I've never used DeSmuMe before today, but I figured out that their controls are a bit different, look in the "Control Config"option in "Config" to see what the keys are.

I've also got framerate problems with it, it seems that if I set the Frame Skip to 0 (instead of its default Auto), I get about 45 frames a second, which is playable on my quite new computer.

At the moment the most important thing I'm wondering is whether to write the code to load a .hold file, or to recreate my hold into my own format. Especially if it's legal and so to do that (because I'm not that sure about the license of the sources, and of course, I don't know anything about the hold format). In the meantime, I'll get my hands on City of Queens.

04-27-2008 at 11:54 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Tim wrote:
At the moment the most important thing I'm wondering is whether to write the code to load a .hold file, or to recreate my hold into my own format. Especially if it's legal and so to do that (because I'm not that sure about the license of the sources, and of course, I don't know anything about the hold format). In the meantime, I'll get my hands on City of Queens.
Well, since Simplicity is an AE hold the Mozilla Public License 1.1 (Details on Wikipedia) applies, as far as the AE source code is concerned, so go nuts with it...

[Last edited by Briareos at 04-28-2008 09:07 AM]
04-28-2008 at 09:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
Briareos wrote:
Well, since Simplicity is an AE hold the Mozilla Public License 1.1 (Details on Wikipedia) applies, as far as the AE source code is concerned, so go nuts with it...
Hmmm.. This is very depressing... I'm not very familiar with C++ :(, so this is not really getting me anywhere.

If I understand correctly, the .hold file format can be changed back to something readable if I change the bits (of my AE hold) somewhat, and then inflate it. I don't seem to get anything that is remotely inflatable. I've spend the whole day looking at it and zlib just complained of having a bad header.

Am I on the right track? Or am I doing this all wrong?

[Last edited by Tim at 04-29-2008 02:05 AM]
04-29-2008 at 02:04 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Simplicity DS (+3)  
First you flip the bits, then you inflate using zlib, then you should have a perfectly readable XML file.
04-29-2008 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
coppro wrote:
First you flip the bits, then you inflate using zlib, then you should have a perfectly readable XML file.
Thanks for the pointer! I've finally got it. Turned out I forgot to link the library... :P

I'm such a noob... :D

PS. Should I remove my last 3 posts? It might spoil too much...

[Last edited by Tim at 04-29-2008 09:52 AM]
04-29-2008 at 09:38 AM
Didouneto
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
Great :) .

That's work very well on my ds.
04-30-2008 at 01:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
I want a DS so I can play this...
04-30-2008 at 03:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Blargh, my DS just snapped this morning, now I need to get a new one before I can try this out.

And I just found my flash card as well

[Last edited by Ezlo at 04-30-2008 05:10 PM]
04-30-2008 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim

File: shots2.png (9.9 KB)
Downloaded 888 times.
icon Re: Simplicity DS (+3)  
New version, added: City Of Queens, version 0.1

Files and Screenshots: See top of this thread.

05-04-2008 at 05:34 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
When will this expand into a fully functional AE emulator?

05-04-2008 at 08:26 PM
Syntax
When it's ready
05-04-2008 at 09:37 PM
Tim
Thanks, Syntax. (I've modded you up, in case you were wondering.)

Here's the longer version of the answer:

1) Is there any need for an AE emulator? (Judging by the number of downloads, no.)

2) My AE holds are very simple, they don't contain any difficult monsters or brains. It will also cost me some time to decipher the AE hold format (I still have to determine what tile corresponds to which number). And I'm very noobish in DS programming (Note: figure out how to save).

3) Progress would be very slow if I have to program, draw the graphics, redraw the holds, and test them all by myself.

4) I know there are already other people who are porting DROD right now on the DS/GBA.

It was never my intention to emulate AE. This is my first big DS project, I just want to see how hard it is to write a game like this, and I want to play my puzzles on the DS. If this actually ends in something AE like, well, that's okay with me, but I'm already happy if my own holds work.

-- Tim

05-05-2008 at 02:16 AM
stefan_skellen
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
Thanks for this!
I just add another vote for AE holds emulator/simulator in case you are considering making it...

05-06-2008 at 10:44 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
Will you try someday to make a new hold for this or compile the two holds together? It might be nice to have an actual touch screen menu if you can manage it.

But for now, it's nice as it is.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

05-08-2008 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Jeff_Ray... wrote:
Will you try someday to make a new hold for this or compile the two holds together? It might be nice to have an actual touch screen menu if you can manage it.

But for now, it's nice as it is.

I usually don't do Feature Requests, but I'm still thinking a way to include different hold files properly.

As for the menus, that's something for much much later. I'm currently trying to do some tricky stuff to see if I can port Penthouse. (invisibility potions are a lot of work...)

05-09-2008 at 12:14 AM
Tim

File: Penthouse01b.zip (64.1 KB)
Downloaded 27 times.
Heh. After some stupid out of memory issues, random crashes and other horrible stuff, here's a first version of Penthouse.

Not everything behaves exactly like AE (mainly on entering rooms and exits will always end the hold), but you should still be able to finish the hold.

This one plays like the other two files, but a lot is changed internally. For example, I didn't had to draw the rooms myself.

Edit: I did add a logo from AE, so it's not 100% graphics made of me, but that will change in one of the future versions. :)

[Last edited by Tim at 05-22-2008 11:39 PM]
05-22-2008 at 11:31 PM
Tim

File: samples.png (39.1 KB)
Downloaded 539 times.
I actually haven't worked a lot of it lately, but that doesn't mean I can't put up some WIP screenshots :)

[Last edited by Tim at 07-04-2008 12:27 PM]
07-04-2008 at 12:27 PM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1299
Very cool. I like the obstacles in the third picture.
07-04-2008 at 05:08 PM
Syntax
Just saw the screenshots. Excellent work!
I'll see if I can get me a DS to play with...
07-17-2008 at 06:33 PM
Samuel
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 69
Wow, this is very cool, reminds me of Mobile DROD
BTW: Here is a good webstie for emulators, go down to the bottom of the page, i reccomend DeSmuMe personally
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/nds/

even if it's in your mind. Who's to
say that dreams and nightmares
aren't as real as the here and now?
John Lennon
07-18-2008 at 02:52 AM
Syntax
Samuel wrote:
BTW: Here is a good webstie for emulators, go down to the bottom of the page, i reccomend DeSmuMe personally
http://www.emulator-zone.com/doc.php/nds/
Aie... but none for Linux :/
07-18-2008 at 12:26 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
DeSmuMe is for Linux... I see it in Apt.
07-19-2008 at 01:04 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Tim
There are Debian packages available for DeSmuMe, while iDeaS is available for Linux.

However, I'd suggest you to use something that is DLDI compatible, as in version 0.2, I will use DLDI to save progress.
(I've heard it's possible to do that with some of the emulators, although I haven't figured it out yet.)

If you can't use DLDI, the game is still fully playable without saving.

Version 0.2 will only feature the one hold shown in the WIP screenshots, I will merge the holds in a later version.

07-19-2008 at 01:54 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Simplicity DS
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com