Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Another try on a "CaravelNet Posting Guide" (Feel free to expand/improve)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
MeckMeck GRE
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 594
IP: Logged
icon Another try on a "CaravelNet Posting Guide" (+2)  
Another CaravelNet Posting Guide

1.) I have a problem - Where do I post?

The caravelNet Forum is always a good place if you search for help with your Drod installation,
your broken video card driver or your math homework. Just keep in mind that this isn't the
main issue on the Forum (It's a DROD forum after all), so please post all threads that aren't
about problems with DROD into the "Anything" board. If you experience troubles with the forum
or the website, post your thread into "The Site". If you found a bug in Drod, check your 
version! If your game is up to date and the bug is still there, go for the "Bugs" board. If
you have troubles with the editor of the game, read the stickies in the architecture board -
maybe they'll help you. Last but not least: If you get stuck in a Drod room, search for help
in the "Hints and Solutions" sector.

1.1) I have a problem - How do I post?

Be precisely. Don't write "Me Drod nix working - all crap - what now". We won't be able to help
you that way. So describe where and when you encounter what problem. (e.G. when I try to download an
hold ingame this and this happens). Of course you should be patiently waiting for an answer (no double
postings please) and avoid exaggurating.

2.) Feature requesting - Contributing to further versions of Drod

When playing Drod we often get cool ideas what new elements may brush up the game mechanics and
may open up the doors for endless creativity. The feature request boards is the place for ex-
changing ideas for new monsters or new compfort functions or (...). If you decide to post there
you should follow a few rules in order to make a request that makes sense.

2.1) Rules of an request - No randomness / Keep it simple

All ideas for new elements must not contain randomness. Drod is a game where you have perfect in-
formation. So there is no room for monsters that move randomly or do either this thing or that 
thing depending on the result of a random number generator. So try to avoid words like "random",
"arbitrary" or "either or and maybe". Also try to keep the movement pattern simple. 

2.2) Rules of an request - No magic and no machine guns

All ideas should be fitting to the environment of Drod. The technical level of the Eighth (the world
of Drod) is rather archaic. This means that there aren't any machine guns or tanks or ethernet cables.
However some kind of genetic engeneering (holding vats) and mechanical technology (orbs, pressure plates) 
exists so the eight isn't 100%ly a medieval world. Furthermore there is no magic in the Eighth. Nothing
happens wihtout an scientific explaination.

2.3) Rules of an request - No Super-Kickass enemies

Please don't add an request for a super-kickass-samurai-ninja with swords on all eight sides which are
double as long and which he can throw 5 tiles wide every 30 turns..... no, just don't do that.

2.4) Rules of an request - No major changes to current movement rules

You can't request a change of the movement rule of an already existing monster as this would corrupt former
holds.

3.) Forum Games - Entertaining the Folks

The "Forum Games" section is all about fun and games. If you have a game idea and want to start a new game,
keep in your mind that your game should be fun. In order to achieve this you should follow the following rules:

3.1) Forum Games - The best rules are simple and clear

When explaining the rules of your game you should state clear, precise and comprehensive rules. It's also always
an good idea to keep the rules simple.

3.2) Forum Games - Games shouldn't take more attention than driving a car

When you are doing a new game, keep in your mind that your players won't be able to be online all the time (they
work, they go to school, they sleep, etc.). So it's good to have a game where players aren't forced to post every
3 hours or doing lots of stuff.

4.) Contents of your post - Humor, Irony and Sarcasm

You may use all of them but make sure that other people (even those below the age of 15) can understand
that it is Irony. So if you use subtle irony, mark it with a ;) smily or use some other kind of irony-warning.
If you are doing a joke which offends certain groups of people (e.G. Britans or Bayern Munich Fans or Democrats)
please substitute these groups with the group of the "Hitties" (a nation which perished thousands of years ago).

4.1) Contents of your post - What we don't like to see

Armies of smilies, sbellink erors en masse, 4-letter-words, illegal downloads, warez, abuse of the text formation,
chain quotes, double/triple postings, SHOUTING, writing whole posts in $cr!p7 K!dd!3 $p34k, commercial adverts,
adult content, swearing, etc. (this list could be endless) 

(To be continued / Feel free to continue)

[Last edited by MeckMeck GRE at 03-28-2008 09:58 AM]
03-28-2008 at 09:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Another try on a "CaravelNet Posting Guide" (0)  
Most of this may be summarized by the Eighth philosophy of Constructed Thought, which in turn may be summarized as: Think about things before you do them.

I will reiterate that the forum swearing policy has always been and still remains "use common sense", not "don't". This stuff is in the FAQ. In fact, much of this is in the FAQs, but the sort of person who won't read them definitely won't come seek out some random thread like this for advice.
Likewise, Hittite jokes are more of a koan and inside joke than a rule.

Also, see the post two below, for it contains the collective wisdom of one of the world's largest forums.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 03-28-2008 10:31 AM]
03-28-2008 at 10:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
5) Posting guides don't help.

03-28-2008 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
LURK MOAR
03-28-2008 at 10:29 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Banjooie wrote:
LURK MOAR

l2spell n00b

03-31-2008 at 02:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
I think someone forgot the ;). ;)

[Last edited by Jason at 04-02-2008 06:15 PM]
04-02-2008 at 06:12 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Another try on a "CaravelNet Posting Guide" (Feel free to expand/improve)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com