Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : a couple more ideas.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mayhog
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
IP: Logged
icon a couple more ideas. (0)  
Okay guys I've got a couple more for you.

1)How about a vorpal sword potion. It would make another (semi-translucent) sword grow out of beethro's back, mirroring his real sword, so that he could kill off monsters on both sides.

2)A door that only opens when you turn your back to it, forcing you to enter a given area with your back turned.

3)Gargoyls. They would be intelligent creatures like the goblins, that fly like the wraiths, but with one hitch: They are stone until every other monster on that screen is dead, then they come to life. Until that point they function like ugly walls.

Hope you like these new ideas guys, and thanks for a beautifully crafted puzzle epic. :thumbsup

01-10-2004 at 06:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: a couple more ideas. (0)  
1) While this potion sounds neat, I think it will be rejected. Erik has stated on multiple occasions that he doesn't want extra swords or weapons. I tend to agree with that, for the most part. This is certainly a new idea though, and one that I like. (But I have no say in the matter)

2) I could see this working...Actually, I do see this working. I think if you check out the upcoming section on drod.net, you'll find a new type of arrow that makes you completely enter a section with at least your side turned. A question for the door though, what if Beethro turns while on the door?

3) I'm assuming that the ugly walls can not be killed until they begin to move? I think I like this idea too. It could really make a 2-puzzle room, or something. I'd be willing to leave the goblin mentality out, just give it wraithwing logic, possibly without the group mentality. Also, I think the name would need be changed. I think somebody suggested "Gargoyle" before.

01-10-2004 at 07:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mayhog
To answer you on the wall question: I'd have to say the wall would trap Beethro in place until he once again faced away from it. For example, the door he is passing is positioned to the east of Beethro, to enter corectly he must then be faceing west, northwest, or southwest.

I only mentioned the gargoyle thing because I thought it would be an interesting way to create a double-puzzle effect, but it doesn't have to be gargoyles, hell think of the possibilities of stone SNAKES! An entire maze of walls that get up and move around when every other moster is killed.

01-10-2004 at 07:27 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I stress that the section in 'Upcoming' are suggestions only. So the arrow thing has been suggested but isn't confirmed.

This was Erik's main concern about that page, but I plowed ahead regardless.

As for number 3, I really like that idea. Both the stone snakes and the stone monsters.

Matt

01-10-2004 at 05:33 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
zex20913 wrote: I think somebody suggested "Gargoyle" before.

I don't know who it was, but it was a stone monster that you had to hit three times before it got killed. I think it was rejected though.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-10-2004 at 07:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Yes, suggested but not confirmed. I should remember to put that for all ref.s to the upcoming page.

01-11-2004 at 05:37 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
It was probably rejected because of having to hit it 3 times, from the sound of it. I really like the Gargoyle idea, and it would be very simple to implement:

Have a second group of monsters in gargoyle form, which you can also place. Then the logic changes to

(monsters dead?) {
..(gargoyles inactive?) {
....activate gargoyles;
....change living monster count appropriately;
..}
..(monsters still dead?) {
....clear green doors;
..}
}

I can see a LOT of puzzle potential with this idea, I really hope something like it ends up in the game

01-11-2004 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mayhog
Thanks for all the positive feedback about this one guys. I've got one more to throw at you tonight. The earthworm.
This would be a snake, only brown in coloration, and it would be impossible to trap, because it has the ability to burrow under walls. When it hits a wall or other unpassible surface, it would go underground one square at a time. It would still be vissible by a discoloration in the ground and after 30 round would resurface.
To kill this beast you must first get it to burrow and then lead it (before the 30 rounds were up) to the edge of a pit. The worm, being underground would be unaware of the pit and sail right out into certain doom.
1 more side note, don't strike it with your sword, because 1 earthworm becomes 2 if cut in half. (though this could be used to solve some puzzles.

Bty, love the Aemima eye DiMono

01-12-2004 at 06:57 AM
Skylancer64
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
zex20913 wrote:
3) I'd be willing to leave the goblin mentality out, just give it wraithwing logic, possibly without the group mentality. Also, I think the name would need be changed. I think somebody suggested "Gargoyle" before.

Erm... everything a wraithwing does is based on whether or not there are others and where they are positioned. You really don't have wraithwing logic any more without groups of wraithwings affected differently.

I'm clueless as to why the name can't be the same. It's a good name.

01-12-2004 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
I think the earthworm is basically like the "Mole" that will probably be appearing. Still, if we use this, could you find a different way it could be killed? because leading it into pits might be too hard.

Otherwise, I like this concept.

[Edited by The_Red_Hawk on 01-12-2004 at 05:26 PM GMT]

01-12-2004 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Tremors!

I think that trapdoors should kill it as well, if it's burrowing. After all, there's pits below trapdoors.

It does sound a touch complex to kill though. Hmm...Maybe you can cut it down to small enough that it dies as well (Only a head/tail) The splitting would cause some good puzzles too.

01-12-2004 at 06:04 PM
Mayhog
I like the idea of leading under a trap door. That would be an easier way of killing the thing. (But truthfully if you look at the graphics of the trap doors, there is ground under them. A single trap door in the center of a pit appears as a pillar.)

Well, the only other thing that I thought of was a steel golem.

This monster acts like a roach only, its indistructable in its original form. A new item, The Magnet, would be added to Golem levels and the golems would be attracted to them. They would pursue you until they walked in front of a magnet, then one turn at a time, be dragged in the direction of the magnet. When they hit the magnet, or any other solid object in its path, the magnetic force would tear them apart.

Also, if beethro walked past a magnet, he would spin so that his sword was facing it. This could easily mess up an attack by forcing your back to on coming monsters, or help turn you arund to deal with that otherwise impossible to kill roach that snuck up on you. :)

01-12-2004 at 07:09 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Mayhog wrote:
Also, if beethro walked past a magnet, he would spin so that his sword was facing it. This could easily mess up an attack by forcing your back to on coming monsters, or help turn you arund to deal with that otherwise impossible to kill roach that snuck up on you. :)

This part, at least, is a bit similar to an idea I had called Iron Walls. Are you my twin, separated at birth, or something? Scary!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-12-2004 at 07:14 PM
Mayhog
You're right, that is kind of creepy. Thats two ideas of ours now that are similar.
But if we are twins, I reserve all right to be the evil one. :D

01-12-2004 at 08:14 PM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I like the idea with magnets: If Beethro faces the magnet the first turn, it is faster than swinging normally. It could add a lot of puzzle potential.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
01-12-2004 at 09:23 PM
The_Red_Hawk
I like the magnet idea. Maybe serpents, as they have (metal?) fangs, would also be attracted to it, but not killed. Can the magnet double as an orb for only certain types of doors (perhaps steel doors?)

01-12-2004 at 11:19 PM
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
The functionality of turning Beethro's sword without his consent is reserved for Sword Arrows, arrows that orient Beethro's sword in the direction they point, which I'm pretty sure is already going into 1.7. If the magnet is put in, then we'll have to say that either Beethro's sword is affected by both objects, or that it's made of aluminum and can't be attracted by magnets. ;)

01-16-2004 at 12:52 PM
The_Red_Hawk
Isn't aluminum a pretty weak metal and therefore no good for killing monsters?

01-16-2004 at 05:26 PM
zex20913
Hey, as long as it's packed enough, it can make for a rather good weapon. And sharp.

Have you ever balled up aluminum foil and thrown it at somebody and made them bleed because of it? It can certainly kill mere roaches, especially in the hands of a proper Smitemaster. :P

01-17-2004 at 05:59 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
If you were to slam an aluminum sword directly at a wall, I suppose it would be more likely to break than steel. But solid aluminum is HARD. It would certainly make you bleed, little buddy.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-17-2004 at 06:02 AM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-17-2004 at 06:01 AM
joker5
Rank Points: 607
I like the magnet idea... Are magnets stationary? Are they 1*1? How do they affect you on diagonals? Do they only affect you if you get close enough?

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-18-2004 at 03:18 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Magnets...?

That rings a bell...

Oh yes. I remember. This sounds like a request I remember making on the SF page, although I don't know if it is being implemented. I think it was entitled the "Silver Orb":

This is a new type of orb that when hit, will activate a new type of tile called the Electro-Magnet. The Electro-Magnet, when activated, will begin to attract the Iron Doors, which are one square sized blocks of iron that act like normal walls. The Electro-Magnets will pull all Iron Doors one square per move towards them that are in a 8 square radius around them. These Iron Doors are extremely heavy and will plough through almost anything when moving - any enemy will be squashed flat, crumbly walls will fall apart when smashed into and potions, mimics, Beethro or any creations of his will be destroyed instantly. Orbs and walls are capable of withstanding the impact, force arrow rules apply to it, and they can fall into pits and through trapdoors. If two magnets are activated at the same time, then their forces cancel or attract depending on their bearings in relation to the Iron Doors affected. Turning the magnet off will stop the Iron Doors from moving at all. The Electro-Magnets run on electricity, so if there are no Generators in the room, they cannot be activated. Iron doors are made of metal, so if next to anything electrified, they too will also be dangerous to touch.

01-18-2004 at 09:30 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : a couple more ideas.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com