Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : NPC jumps 10+ squares when undoing
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
IP: Logged
icon NPC jumps 10+ squares when undoing (+1)  
In a hold I was making (which is like the Mining Business), I made some invincible decoys that, when you "buy" them, appear and kill monsters. Thing is, whenever I undo, they suddenly jump straight toward a rock pile. This is what the drod.err says (200+ times):
Assertion error in line 2608 of .\CurrentGame.cpp: "PlayCommandsToTurn(wTurnNo, CueEvents)
Assertion error in line 2608 of .\CurrentGame.cpp: "PlayCommandsToTurn(wTurnNo, CueEvents)

Any idea on what it means?
Edit: Using 3.2, BTW

[Last edited by Monkey at 03-02-2008 02:47 AM]
03-02-2008 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey

File: Defend the Base.hold (4 KB)
Downloaded 39 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: NPC jumps 10+ squares when undoing (+2)  
How to reproduce:
1: Buy the alternate entrance, and don't release the rock giant until I say so.
2: After the builders built everything, open the hot tile hatches, and stand as southeast as you can
3:After everything but the rock giant is dead, release the giant, get the SPEED!!! and kill the rock giant so it looks like this:
G=Golem
g=Golem pile
.=Empty Space
T=Tunnel
W=Wall

....W
.GG.W
.Gg.W
....W
...TW

4: Kill the rest of the golems near where you released the giant.
5: Buy the decoys. They will hug the golem pile closest to them
6: Outside the base, undo
7: They will be hugging the other golems!

At least, that's what I do to reproduce this. If it doesn't happen, that just makes it worse.

03-02-2008 at 03:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
icon Re: NPC jumps 10+ squares when undoing (+1)  
This sounds like the bug that was brought up in my thread here...

03-02-2008 at 07:38 AM
Monkey
icon Re: NPC jumps 10+ squares when undoing (0)  
That's another bug. :( It looks like questions are very buggy. *me looks for roach smiley*

03-02-2008 at 04:13 PM
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
I've found that running straight into a wall for several dozen turns then undoing does the same thing.

Probably a(nother) bug with the game taking room state snapshots, I'd guess...

np: The Orb - Orbisonia (The Dream)

03-02-2008 at 05:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Briareos wrote:
Probably a(nother) bug with the game taking room state snapshots, I'd guess...
Yes, there definitely is a bug with game snapshots and asking questions. If I turn the MaxDelayForUndo value in the drod.ini way up (e.g. 99999), the problem doesn't happen. (Would someone like to try that and verify they can't get bad undos to happen when this value is high?)

I'm trying to get to the bottom of it, but I still can't reproduce the situation on a given turn 100% of the time. So...likely bad memory pointers or something -- a terrible bug to find.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-02-2008 06:14 PM]
03-02-2008 at 06:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
D'oh! Whenever there is a set of questions pending on the turn the player executes Undo, this question list isn't reset when reverting to an earlier game snapshot, causing various badness, including crashes, when the erroneous questions are processed. I've fixed this for build 61.

I've also made question reversion logic more robust, just in case, so there hopefully won't be any more problems with undo shapshots and questions after this.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-02-2008 06:40 PM]
03-02-2008 at 06:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: NPC jumps 10+ squares when undoing (+1)  
mrimer wrote:
D'oh! Whenever there is a set of questions pending on the turn the player executes Undo, this question list isn't reset when reverting to an earlier game snapshot, causing various badness, including crashes, when the erroneous questions are processed. I've fixed this for build 61.
I'm afraid the decoys are still heading for greener pastures in Monkey's hold for me... :(

I'm doing the steps he listed, then activate the decoys and wait until they've settled down at the golem rubble next to the tunnel. Now I hold down 5 to wait for 150 or more turns and hit undo - et voila, they're suddenly halfway on their way to the other piles... :?

I doubt it's any of the questions, as the decoys obviously get placed again when the question is replayed during undoing, but it seems as if the decoys' "Move To Monster" command all of a sudden is totally unaware of the pile next to them (that they're only halfway on their way is a good indication that the snapshot is incomplete, I'd say, as hitting undo after they've just settled down will make them stay put) - but then again, I'm not sure why a pile of golem rubble is considered a monster (and not just an obstacle) to move towards in the first place...

np: The Orb - Orb Is (Shopping Version) (Bicycles & Tricycles)

[Last edited by Briareos at 03-02-2008 09:58 PM]
03-02-2008 at 09:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Monkey wrote:
3:After everything but the rock giant is dead, release the giant
I guess I didn't understand this part, so I can't follow this step. How do you release the rock giant? How can you get rid of those obstacles?

Edit: Never mind...I figured it out.

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-03-2008 04:01 AM]
03-03-2008 at 02:57 AM
mrimer
Briareos wrote:
I'm doing the steps he listed, then activate the decoys and wait until they've settled down at the golem rubble next to the tunnel. Now I hold down 5 to wait for 150 or more turns and hit undo - et voila, they're suddenly halfway on their way to the other piles... :?
Wooo...that was a tricky bug. It had precisely to do with NPCs moving toward rock golem piles and then undoing to a snapshot, and probably wouldn't show up in any other situation. It's fixed now for build 62.
I'm not sure why a pile of golem rubble is considered a monster (and not just an obstacle) to move towards in the first place...
Good question. I agree it shouldn't be that way either, but it wasn't coded with that foresight. Probably an alternate "Live monster" target type should be added in a future major patch so as to not break backwards compatibility for this command.
np: The Orb - Orb Is (Shopping Version) (Bicycles & Tricycles)
The Orb sounds like a group Beethro might listen to. Or maybe the Perfectionists, anyway :P

03-03-2008 at 04:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : NPC jumps 10+ squares when undoing
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com