Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Haunted House Part I (Different Themes on different Floors)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.7/10 (13 votes)
σ 1.20
Author Name:Pithlit
Submitted By:Pithlit
Hold Name:The Haunted House Part I
Theme:Different Themes on different Floors
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:5
Number of Rooms:63
Number of Monsters:1051
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:0 (+0 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Haunted House Part I.hold (21.7 KB)
Downloaded 2754 times.
License: Other
icon The Haunted House Part I  
If you like your holds not so bloody, but medium hard, this is one for you.
I hope you have the same fun playing it, that i had making it :D
12-27-2003 at 08:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: The Haunted House Part I (0)  
If this is truly "Part I" is it going to be finished any time soon? That is, this board on the forum is for finished holds only, and having a multi-part hold might not be appropriate. It depends on several things, of course, but perhaps you should explain your plans for this hold so we know what we'll be getting into.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-28-2003 at 02:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pithlit
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
It is truly Part I and im currently working on Part II.
the reason why its dated Sept. was because iset my system time to that. The truth is, i started the hold on teh 10th of December not September. And the reason why i make different parts of the hauted house are two:
1. I donŽt like really huge holds with 20+ floors. It makes more fun to play if you have the goal not so far from you.
2. This was just the beginning. in later Parts, when more story arises, youŽll may have to decide what to do, leading you into different directions.

12-28-2003 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
Apparently we're not supposed to do that - I wanted to post Deep Hold's first levels as Version One and I wasn't allowed to.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-28-2003 at 06:30 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Except this isn't a version difference, this is one set of levels, then a completely different set of levels. You want to update the same hold, not create new ones, which is the difference.

12-28-2003 at 10:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
It's still technically the same hold.

12-28-2003 at 10:36 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
It's more of a sequel.

We'll see where he's going with this, and if it's obvious the two should be in the one hold then we'll ask him to resubmit it as a single hold.

Of course, if there's a definite conclusion in this hold then that's all right then.

Matt

12-29-2003 at 01:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
There is a difference between releasing a few "chapters" and releasing each level one at a time in this section. I think it depends on how far apart they are going to be released. However, it also may depend on the storyline.

However, if each hold is more or less self-contained, each with a beginning and an ending, that is different than what Hawk intended, I believe. I think that what Pithlit is doing is what we suggested Hawk do, actually. I can't remember very well though.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-29-2003 at 04:40 AM
The_Red_Hawk
I was hoping to be able to release Deep Hold as completed sections of either 5 or 10 levels. Each new version would include the previous ones, for convenience of the player.

12-29-2003 at 05:25 AM
DiMono
Again, you're talking about new versions of an existing hold, Pithlit's releasing entirely new, self-contained holds. The first 5 levels of haunted House Part 2 will not be the levels of THHP1, whereas with your plan that would be exactly the case.

12-29-2003 at 07:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
shanka108
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 31
whatever the politics of the thing, I am having tons of fun with this hold. Seems most new holds are impossibly tough. This is fun in that it is tough but beatable. I especially like being able to warp to different levels from level 1. just my two cents

12-31-2003 at 06:17 PM
The_Red_Hawk
shanka108 wrote:
whatever the politics of the thing, I am having tons of fun with this hold. Seems most new holds are impossibly tough. This is fun in that it is tough but beatable. I especially like being able to warp to different levels from level 1. just my two cents

I think it's because the architect starts off with a lot of ideas, but in later holds needs new ones and the difficulty is less.

01-02-2004 at 05:07 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If you enter 3N3E from the rightmost entrance, you're stuck - you can't leave 3N3E from any other entrance, and you can't go back through 2N3E.

This is more of a warning to new players than than a bug report - it's too late for those - but it's a shame, as it should have been caught.

[Edited by eytanz on 01-16-2004 at 05:49 PM GMT]

01-16-2004 at 05:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, I guess we can always purge it from the record if need be.

Matt

01-17-2004 at 08:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I'm slowly working on code that will allow people to replace their uploaded holds with new versions. As I've mentioned, it will only allow updates of existing rooms, no new rooms - perfect for situations like this.

I'll let everyone know when it's ready.

01-17-2004 at 01:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
joker5
Rank Points: 607
This is awesome, and the sequel is really good! I can't wait until it's all done!

~joker5

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com

"Two words: Beam Waffle!" -me
01-22-2004 at 12:17 AM
DiMono

I think this room is in desperate need of a second checkpoint at 2. The existing checkpoint can only be used once without messing up your timing, which is on your way to 1. I actually stopped playing this room after having to do the same hundred moves over again several times in an effort to clear the top-left corner of the room.

Other than that, it's a good hold, though I'm confused as to why the stairs in the Lobby go where they go. Oh, if you enter the warp room in the lobby from the eastern entrance, you cannot return south and you cannot step off the last trap door to open the red door.

01-26-2004 at 03:58 PM
techant
Rank Points: 854
I found this hold to be fun challenging and some times frustrating. I played the zoo and thought I would never finish repeating the third level. I just couldn't find those last 2 rooms. It was a good challenge to find them then they were some of the toughest to beat.

I would recomend this hold to anyone who likes a little variety in your gaming. :lol

I hope to see a Part II sometime. Just as side note to the naming discussion, Lord of the Rings has 3 parts but they are all separate from each other and yet they are part of a story theme. I do not think holds with separate themes but one story are a bad idea. But, I am just a newbe at this :Notworthy

10-31-2004 at 09:22 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
eytanz wrote:
If you enter 3N3E from the rightmost entrance, you're stuck - you can't leave 3N3E from any other entrance, and you can't go back through 2N3E.

This is more of a warning to new players than than a bug report - it's too late for those - but it's a shame, as it should have been caught.
Buuuuuuuuuump.

I just got caught in that very backtracking problem; and unlike in 2004, we've actually got a procedure now by which that can be fixed. (And in this case, it's an almost trivially easy fix: in 3N3E, turn the southern half of the red door into floor. It's not a highscorable room, so it won't affect the scores in any way.)
10-03-2011 at 01:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwerulous
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 340
Tahnan wrote:
I just got caught in that very backtracking problem; and unlike in 2004, we've actually got a procedure now by which that can be fixed. (And in this case, it's an almost trivially easy fix: in 3N3E, turn the southern half of the red door into floor. It's not a highscorable room, so it won't affect the scores in any way.)
This is still an issue and it also happened to me when playing through. It's no big deal really but as Tahnan said it's quite easy to fix.

Anyway, this hold isn't bad. It was quite fun to play through. I didn't find any room particularly challenging; most rooms lack a puzzle element to them but a little bit of strategy was required. Aesthetically it could be worse, but it could also be better - a few rooms are mostly empty, particularly in Dusty Halls where there are several consecutive rooms with just pit, a single straight passage and a few roaches. The Zoo is an interesting level - I thought it was nice to have a bonus level that's actually easier than the rest of the hold and it was fun, but it does seem a little out of place (I'm in a haunted house, at the bottom of which is a Zoo..?)

All in all this is quite a nice refresher/rest from tougher holds. I gave it 6/10 and 3.5 for difficulty.
04-29-2013 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Haunted House Part I (Different Themes on different Floors) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com