Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : KPVIIID3 : The Final Floors (The final part of the series)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.3/10 (22 votes)
σ 2.32
Author Name:Pilchard VIII
Submitted By:Pilchard VIII
Hold Name:KPVIIID3 : The Final Floors
Theme:The final part of the series
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:20
Number of Rooms:155
Number of Monsters:2312
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.1)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+2 / -1)
Poster Message
Tuttle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1545
IP: Logged
icon Re: KPVIIID3 : The Final Floors (+1)  
I just played all three King Pilchard VIII holds in a row, and this is the one I enjoyed the most.

I do think that a few more rooms could have used checkpoints -- Tenth 3N and Twelfth 1S stand out as being particularly painful to replay from the start after making a mistake right at the end.

The difficulty spike at the end was a little bit unpleasant as well, but overall I'd still recommend the hold. The variety of puzzles was good, the swordless and Slayer roles were both done well (I especially liked the aumtlich/mirror rooms), and it made me think without being head-bashingly difficult.
01-24-2008 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
fratropea
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 87
icon Re: KPVIIID3 : The Final Floors (0)  
FINALLY I CONQUERED KPVIIID3: THE FINAL FLOOR!!! :D
I am a fan of Pilchard VIII!
The story, the architecture, the graphics are wonderful...
Some rooms are very hard, others are riveting.
I really enjoyed playing this hold!
:lol Thanks. :lol
02-19-2008 at 01:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Tech-Dugandy: Twice East should be marked unscorable as it isn't possible to defeat the goblins that appear after you beat the room.
05-19-2008 at 06:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
TFMurphy
Rank Points: 3117
No, it's still possible to complete the room, in pretty much the same way as before. (Though there will be some demo breakages - but on the flipside, I think you can optimise it further by 1 move now)

[Last edited by TFMurphy at 05-19-2008 07:45 PM]
05-19-2008 at 07:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Oh yeah, it is still possible. Just did it. :)
Click here to view the secret text

05-19-2008 at 08:18 PM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
gragh! Yeah, that unsworded mimic change makes the room considerably easier.

No wait, it was possible before, wasn't it.

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 05-20-2008 01:20 AM]
05-20-2008 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
deftriver
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 75
Man, I'm almost through all of the rooms behind the mater wall. The only room I have left to solve is Removed for Difficulty 1N, and it is hard.

But I'm posting here because I see no mention of the problem in The Origin 2E, there's glitch, the Beethro character doesn't move to kill a guard and gets killed instead, so the room is stuck on a loop.
08-11-2008 at 02:23 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
This hold is indeed on the "to be fixed because of 3.2" list. The reason there isn't a post about it here, is that Tahnan told me about the problem in the in-game chat.

However, for any concerned highscorers, I'll mention that there are no highscorable rooms in the Origin level. You're missing story here, but not points.
08-11-2008 at 03:07 AM
kmt
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
I've really enjoyed this hold. It was accessible to someone with my modest skill level, but still very challenging in places. One question, though.
I can't find the secret room on
Thanks.
12-24-2008 at 07:10 AM
CuriousShyRabbit

12-24-2008 at 07:31 AM
disoriented
Rank Points: 2379
I just mastered this hold and I'm exploring behind the master walls, but I think I've hit a bug.

In "The Origin" 2E, the animation just loops over and over because Beethro gets killed by a guard on move 13.

Best to PM me, since I might miss your message on CaravelNet chat.

[Last edited by disoriented at 07-01-2009 06:12 AM]
07-01-2009 at 06:12 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Please see 4 posts up.

The problem is due to a game engine bug introduced in 3.2. In 3.2, guards act unbrained when chasing a Beethro NPC. Mrimer has said he would fix this bug, so that the hold won't need updating. However, the fix hasn't happened yet.
07-01-2009 at 08:56 AM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
I completed this hold about a week ago (except for one particularly tricky post-mastery room).

This is a large story-heavy hold with a variety of puzzles, a very good ending and a plethora of post-mastery goodness.

I actually felt the hold started rather poorly - I wasn't too impressed with the first few puzzle levels but once I got to the Eighth floor there seemed to be an increase in enjoyment (and difficulty) as I progressed through the levels.

I would say the major theme of the hold is horde management, but there are many varieties of this utilizing hot tiles, speed & clone potions, orthosquares amongst others such that you never really get a feeling of repetition. There are other puzzles here as well - fegundos, mirrors and platforms make an appearance and there is a fairly large chunk of slayer role puzzles which are always a good thing in my opinion.

Once you reach the end (beyond a couple of slightly annoying "scripted monsters appearing" rooms) you are treated to a very impressive cut scene (not sure what Lego Luke Skywalker is doing there mind!) and providing you've mastered the level, a Caravel-worthy post mastery section packed full of hold information and additional puzzles (including a couple of very nasty ones).

If you do happen to play this hold, I would encourage you to persevere as it definately gets better as you progress - there are already a number of hint topics for the tougher rooms if needed and everyone should experience the ending.

I would say I'd hope to see more holds from Pilchard VIII in the future, but sadly his last post (incidentally about a 4th hold in this series) was some 2 1/2 years ago - maybe he'll return one day as others have done?

My rating:

Difficulty: 5.5
Fun: 7

Progress - Gavin G
01-25-2012 at 02:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : KPVIIID3 : The Final Floors (The final part of the series)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com