Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Re-Importing Holds and Room Status (Version 3.1.0.54)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
JoMax
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 65
IP: Logged
icon Re-Importing Holds and Room Status (0)  
I've only just started Beta testing holds and have noticed what is at best an anomaly - if not a bug.

When re-importing a hold with changed rooms, the current demos are validated, and if necessary deleted. However, the room conquer status and checkpoint data are preserved.

The room conquer flag being preserved can be beneficial to the tester as it is not necessary to replay the level/hold and I have now have a conquered status for an impossible room ;). However, the tester is not immediately aware of which rooms have changed and therefore need retesting.

The preserved checkpoint data is a problem - especially if the checkpoints have moved. I now have restores available on non-existent checkpoints, where Beethro is restored on top of a monster and immediately dies.
12-29-2007 at 12:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
schep
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 865
IP: Logged
icon Re: Re-Importing Holds and Room Status (+2)  
JoMax wrote:
When re-importing a hold with changed rooms, the current demos are validated, and if necessary deleted. However, the room conquer status and checkpoint data are preserved.
There's not much we can do about room conquer status. Every saved game contains a list of previously conquered rooms. When validating these for a hold change, there's no way of knowing whether one of those rooms became impossible or something like that.

However, the tester is not immediately aware of which rooms have changed and therefore need retesting.
Check the drod.log file, which should have messages about any saved games which failed validation.

The preserved checkpoint data is a problem - especially if the checkpoints have moved. I now have restores available on non-existent checkpoints, where Beethro is restored on top of a monster and immediately dies.
There's a pending fix which should prevent situations where restoring a game puts it in a messed up already-dead state. See here.

It may be a good idea during validation to delete any saved games which claim to be for checkpoints where there's no checkpoint, though.
12-29-2007 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Re-Importing Holds and Room Status (Version 3.1.0.54)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com