Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
<<4567
Page 8 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1980
IP: Logged
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (0)  
I actually just finished this now, and it's much more satisfying to figure out the solution on your own, I would suppose. Start by figuring out the last six items, that is, the six items that reach their max level the fastest.

06-08-2004 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've been playing a fair bit of Pikmin recently. I found it for A$20 (that's around US$15), so the price was right. It reminds me of Lemmings an awful lot, actually.

Essentially, you've got a home base area with various colours of pikmin, which are much like little ants. They do things like build bridges, break down obstacles and attack enemies. You play a spaceman with a dinged-up rocket ship, and in each level there's a number of parts to your ship that you have to get back.

The pikmin can lift heavy loads (like food, enemy bodies and spaceship parts) if you get enough of them there. Food and enemy bodies get turned into more pikmin, while spaceship parts get automatically installed and unlock new levels. Most parts require you to juggle the various abilities of the pikmin so they won't decide to go walk into a flame while carrying back the radio because they can't walk through the water, while some require you to defeat boss enemies (most have hidden weaknesses that you have to find.)

What makes it interesting is that you have a very strict time limit of around 15 minutes to unload your pikmin, make a clear path back to the base and get everything back. If you have pikmin still out there and not following you, they get killed automatically, which makes things frantic when the countdown starts and they're maybe too far away from the base. You also have a strict time limit of 30 'days' (each 15 minute run is a day) and 30 parts to collect in that time, so you can't afford to waste time.

The only complaint I have is that the game's really quite short. There's a grand total of 5 levels - the tutorial level, the final level and three actual levels. So you don't want to spend too much on it, as it won't last long. But it's good fun, nonetheless, and apparently they're making a sequel so let's hope they address the lack of content.

Matt

06-08-2004 at 05:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5106
Mattcrampy wrote:
I've been playing a fair bit of Pikmin recently.
I played through Pikmin and enjoyed it (although the puzzles are nothing next to the mind-numbing caliber of DROD). The music's good and battles are interesting. There are some monsters somewhere in the game, though, that I never came across. Maybe I'll go looking for them someday.

Oh, and congratulations on all the good work on DROD.net! :thumbsup

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-08-2004 at 05:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
What? I think it's just the Architect's Toolkit, the spin-off showcase and a bit of rewriting on the Eighth article at the moment.

In any case, now you all know why the site's been so long down. I've been playing Pikmin. Blame Miyamoto.

Matt

06-08-2004 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Not exactly a puzzle game, but a site with huge loads of online Java puzzles, is www.janko.at/raetsel
The only downside is that it's in German, but Babelfish is sufficient to understand most of it.

06-19-2004 at 08:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Pinnacle wrote:
You can decide if it's good, but TILEZ! is on the forum.
I don't like to advertise myself,:blush but I think it's pretty good.

Now, I don't wish to be rude, nor do I want to seem a bit like I'm doing any controlling, but could you please tone down the self-advertising for this game?

You've already posted a thread containing it, and now have posted two separate adverts for it on this thread and your "Stick Figure" thread.

If people want to play it, they will see the thread and download it, since it is quite near the top of this board. Please don't post any more posts informing us all about it, since it's unnecessary.

07-10-2004 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1134
OK. It's gone.

I guess it can get annoying...
Sorry.

[Edited by Pinnacle on 07-12-2004 at 08:13 PM GMT]

07-12-2004 at 04:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Um... this doesn't qualify as a puzzle game, but
DOSBox will run most DOS games under any version of Windows :) You can download it on this page.

07-21-2004 at 07:39 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
I guess it would. There were a lot of good puzzle games for DOS. Lemmings, Rover's Revenge,(It's something like that....made by ID Software. It's on an ID anthology disk somewhere in my room) and Hugo 1, 2 & 3. I'm missing a whole schwack, though.

07-21-2004 at 08:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Well, "Heaven and Earth" is REALLY good. Some of the puzzles are quite difficult. :toohard
With 600+ levels, this should keep you busy...

07-31-2004 at 12:24 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I tried Heaven and Earth, and without the manual I just couldn't intuit how to play, or how to defeat ANY of the puzzles. It's not a very intuitive GUI.

07-31-2004 at 08:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
icon Re: Other good puzzle games (+1)  
Heaven and Earth may not be very intuitive, but it certainly is inventive. As one of the few people in the world who actually bought the game years ago (I saw another copy in a pawn shop the other day and became very excited; it was only five dollars, too), I read the manual several times, which is really the only way you'll ever understand the card game or the pendulum thing, I do admit.

However, I remember just jumping into the illusions and having no problems other than the occasional really difficult puzzle. If I remember right, anti-maze is the easiest one to beat, and if you like mimic puzzles, try gaining losing or identity maze. For the most part, as far as intuition goes, all of them focus around constructing a figure or moving a block to a goal. Each one has a gimmick that's exploited to its limit, and it focuses on being mind-numbing without being tedious, like another puzzle game I know. . . I also remember the learning curve being excellent, so long as you start in ocean.

That's it, I'm reinstalling it right now.
07-31-2004 at 03:01 PM
masonjason
It really is a great game. I couldn't figure out the pendulum or the card game either, but they were really just sideshows to the illusions anyway.
IMO, there's one Illusion puzzle that doesn't focus on constructing a figure or moving a block to a goal, and that's Cursor Warping. That was the only one I found tedious, as opposed to difficult.

07-31-2004 at 06:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
SKWERLL
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
I really like that game, but for some reason, the pendulum never works for me, even when i do look at the help thing or read the manual. And yes, cursor warping IS tedious.

The best hold in the world!
07-31-2004 at 07:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
DiMono
I've gone looking for the Cliff Johnson game 3 in Three, referenced on page 7 of this thread, and I can't track it down. Cliff Johnson's page doesn't have it for download, and the Underdogs page takes me to a zip file of some strange extension that I can't unzip. Does anyone have it lying around somewhere?

08-09-2004 at 11:29 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
Didn't you notice that 3 in three is a macintosh game?
08-10-2004 at 12:24 AM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
The webpage you can download 3 in Three from also directs you to a mac emulator. I felt kind of wrong using it, but it makes the game run fine.

Overall though, I thought 3 in Three wasn't as good as The Fool's Errand.

08-10-2004 at 12:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Hector_BZH
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 17
Hi There, :)

ErikH2000 mentioned the Lasertank game wich is really nice.

But i think no one spoke about this similar game: triogical

You should give it a try ;)

"excuse my english, i'm from brittany in france"

08-10-2004 at 05:25 PM
b0rsuk
Rank Points: 489
Again, not really puzzle game(s):

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?gameid=4966
UFO:Enemy Unknown Collector's Edition win95/98

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=X-COM%3A+Terror+from+the+Deep+Collector%27s+Edition
X-COM:Terror From The Deep Collector's Edition win95/98

http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=X-COM%3A+Apocalypse
X-COM: Apocalypse (DOS)
-----------------
The games can be downloaded from The Home Of The Underdogs.

No introduction is needed, I believe. Two first (coll. editions) work with Windows - but to run it on win2k or winxp you need to run the "yellow" patch executables each time you play. Shamefully, it was this year I played these games for first time. And they are great.

For new people I recommend TFTD over Enemy Unknown/Ufo Defense. While it's non-creative in many aspects and it doesn't feel underwater, the sequel is much less vulnerable to boredom. This is because there are significantly more battlescape maps and some things are better balanced (now you can actually run out of ammo and be forced to reload)

--------------------------

I still have to try X-COM: Apocalypse. This one is DOS version, I would recommend using one of following:

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net
great emulator, runs Master Of Magic and many other games for me. Consumes lots of CPU power. (don't forget ctrl-F7 ctrl-f8 and other configuration stuff)

http://ntvdm.cjb.net/
VDM Sound - less powerful, created mainly as soundblaster emulator (and great at that). It won't run as many games, but if it runs - it works very fast.

I used it to run Discworld1 and had a great time.

[Edited by b0rsuk on 08-12-2004 at 07:05 PM GMT]

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
08-12-2004 at 08:03 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3261
Has anyone played Joe

It's a simple game where you have to reach the exit. Controls are simple and there are only few objects. There's something around 30 levels and the last ones are really difficult.

It also includes a level editor. Win XP users need propably Dosbox or something.

Happy Joeing!

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:03-04-2005 at 04:54 AM]
08-20-2004 at 12:15 PM
vAmpir
Rank Points: 27
Joe is one of the best games I ever played!!! Unfortunately, there are no new levels since 2001 but I think, every puzzle lover has to take a look on it! The game is small (no need instalation), with simple rules and very chalenging. Two thumbs up :thumbsup
08-20-2004 at 12:27 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Fish Fillets is a damn tough puzzle game. A mixture of Sokoban and, perhaps, Tetris, since you have to contend with gravity. Kind of reminds me of the old Goblins games too, since they required you to use multiple characters together.

Right now I'm stuck on the first level below the first fork in the path (Plants on the Stairs), as well as the 4th level to the right of the fork (The Ship of Captain Silver). If enough people try this game and have trouble with it, we can start a new post on it. Otherwise, we'll probably all give up at some point. ;)

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-02-2004 at 12:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Frodo
Rank Points: 25
Oneiromancer wrote:
Fish Fillets is a damn tough puzzle game. A mixture of Sokoban and, perhaps, Tetris, since you have to contend with gravity. Kind of reminds me of the old Goblins games too, since they required you to use multiple characters together.

Right now I'm stuck on the first level below the first fork in the path (Plants on the Stairs), as well as the 4th level to the right of the fork (The Ship of Captain Silver). If enough people try this game and have trouble with it, we can start a new post on it. Otherwise, we'll probably all give up at some point. ;)

Game on,
It sure is a great game! I've been wanting to play it for a while now, but never really felt up to it. Yesterday I started though.

I just conquered "The Ship of Captain Silver". If you are still stuck, best start a new post, so we can see if we can get you through too. :)
(I am stuck in "Plants on the Stairs" too, btw.)

Frodo
09-02-2004 at 12:33 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I found some of my save files of fish filets, at least for some 18 rooms, so if you have any problems with it, you can also ask me as well ;)

By the way, "Plants on the stairs" is REALLY simple compared to what you will find later in the game. (say 2 on a scale of 10) ;)

09-02-2004 at 11:04 PM
masonjason
Fish Fillets is great. Plants on the Stairs has momentarily stranded me as well, but I shall brush it aside as I do all obstacles. :D The concept is great, the puzzles are devious, and it's the best kind of puzzle game: a purely turn-based one where the outcome of each step is predictable. The music and graphics are great too. If you're on broadband, it's most definitely worth the download.

09-03-2004 at 12:28 AM
Schik
Rank Points: 5413
One more vote for Fish Fillets being a GREAT game. Plants on the stairs did stump me for a short while, but due to game mechanics it should be readily apparent exactly where the little shell thingy needs to move up to the top. Once you realize that, it's not all that bad.

09-03-2004 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Damn dial-up connection.

And that's all I have to say about Fish Fillets.

For now.

Matt

09-03-2004 at 09:29 AM
bibelot
Rank Points: 322
I hate to be redundant, but I, too, think Fish Fillets is fantastic, as well as fiendishly difficult. After spending much of the last few days playing it, I've gotten through thirty-three rooms, but I'm now stuck on seven that I'm almost ready to say are impossible. Of course, I thought some of the ones I solved were impossible, too. And to think that there are seventy levels? That's just ridiculous. My only complaints are that moves can be a bit slow, and it's (gasp!) perhaps too hard? Maybe I take that last one back.

Oh yeah, one more thing. Seeing as this is a thread for other puzzle games, you might try out Chromatron. It's another one of those laser/mirror type dealies, but this one I find particularly good and a good challenge.

[Edited by bibelot on 09-04-2004 at 05:05 AM GMT]
09-04-2004 at 06:02 AM
jdyer
Rank Points: 331
I was a beta tester on some of the Chromatron levels. The difficulty gets up to insane, especially in Chromatron 2 and 4. Most DRODers should feel at home. ;)

Also, I would like to say: Pikmin 2 rocks the house. If you like Pikmin, go get it. Now. (It's much longer than Pikmin 1, if that bothered you.)

[Edited by jdyer on 09-04-2004 at 05:56 AM GMT]
09-04-2004 at 06:55 AM
DiMono
Here's one I found today: Pandaventure. It's short, cute, and not too taxing on the brain. If you want a fuzzy feeling inside while you work out a few easy puzzles, then this is a nice little diversion for you.

09-11-2004 at 03:49 AM
<<4567
Page 8 of 10
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Other good puzzle games
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No