Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Yet another DROD spin-off (Should I try it?)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Insane
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 154
IP: Logged
icon Re: Yet another DROD spin-off (0)  
I think I have an even more elegant idea.
This one relies on the fact that every entity knows it's own movement order (a simple number reflecting which turn it will move), and is publicly accessible at any time.

This method does not need any additional lists whatsoever and is perfectly consistent with the first system.
If an entity bumps into another entity, it first check whether that entity's movement occurs after it's own, and if thus, call it's Step() code, relying on the fact that it hasn't been called already, since it normally moves after itself.

Later, the entity's Step() code will be called again, but this time it terminates due to having already moved this turn.

Yes...yes I'll go implement that now.

-Insane
11-12-2007 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane

File: experiment5.png (13.4 KB)
Downloaded 419 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Yet another DROD spin-off (+1)  
Update: Yes, it turned out working PERFECT.
On additional news, I made characters turn to face when moving (or trying to).

Click here to view the secret text

-Insane

EDIT: I lied. Infinite recursion once no more moves possible.

[Last edited by Insane at 11-12-2007 05:00 PM]
11-12-2007 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
Mmh.. I liked mine better :)

Anyway, sorting all monsters left-to-right, top-to-bottom before going through whatever algorithm you use would make everything independent of placement order, at least, but it could have some weird results. For example:
  R R
        ->    RR
   |          |
   @          @
No problems there, but ..
     R
  R R          R
        ->   RR
   |          |
   @          @
The green roach tries to move first and taps the blue roach on the shoulder, making it move before the red roach.
 R   R
  R R        R R
        ->    RR
   |          |
   @          @

11-12-2007 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
That's why I used a queue - it maintains the ordering, pushing back a monster just to where it needs to be.

Also, Insane, you can just use a single static variable to guard against infinite recursion. Call it currentlyStepping or something.
11-12-2007 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Another idea - roaches closest to Beethro move first. Will that make it more consistent?

11-12-2007 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane
Isn't yours and mine essentially the same? (EDIT: talking to trick here)
Except yours uses an int, global move count compared to last_turn-moved, while mine uses a bool that gets reset after every move.

Also, I've fixed mine now, by keeping track of HasMoved for individual tiles, not just entities. (It was looping out when it hit a wall, since the wall technically had no entity. Wals are room objects and not entities, but still return a false for the bumpcheck, thus making the TryMove() script think that an entity there is blocking it's path, but fail in performing it's step since there is none, thus not setting the nonexistant entity's HasMoved() value to true.)

In related news, I've added customizable post-process shaders. (Well, there's my feature request)
I already have a Dx9, GPU-accelerated surface, so why not?

Currently I only have:
-None
-Grayscale (For memories? I might make a better version of this that's fuzzy on the edges, and slightly colorized too.)

-Insane

EDIT: As opposed to both Maurog and trick's ideas, I still have DROD's placement movement order as global-scale order decision. I'm keeping this because I feel it's more consistent.

Now will we stop arguing about who's idea is better and discuss something else?
Here's an idea: Can somebody explain to me how roach AI works?
I know already (I think) that DROD assigns a priority to every square on all 8 sides, and then the square with the best priority is chosen.
But from the way roach AI works, I gather that parallel to this, some primary rules are still followed, for instance:
An unbrained roach will never move away from it's target (player/decoy/stalwart/whatever).
A roach, I believe, still has preferences (orthogonally over diagonally, north over south or something).

Comments?
-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 11-12-2007 05:44 PM]
11-12-2007 at 05:37 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
The only preference it has is to move vertically when it wants to move diagonally, it can't, but it can move orthogonally in both directions.
And otherwise it simply moves like a bee towards it's target, unless, again, there's an obstacle in the way.
Really, you've got the complete roach AI there :) .

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 11-13-2007 06:55 AM]
11-13-2007 at 06:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Rank Points: 302
Here's an idea: Can somebody explain to me how roach AI works?

There's a whole thread on monster movement. The fourth message by bibelot goes into details.

http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=2587

Of course, you can also read the source code itself.
11-13-2007 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
schep
Rank Points: 865
The thing about scoring each of the nine moves is what goblins do. (Unbrained) roaches just try to move in the direction of the player. If that direction is diagonal and the first choice is blocked, it will try the adjacent vertical direction and then the adjacent horizontal direction.

[Last edited by schep at 11-13-2007 01:57 PM]
11-13-2007 at 01:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Insane

File: experiment6.png (145.9 KB)
Downloaded 276 times.
License: Public Domain
Ok, next update.
First of all, I (for now) modified the whole interface to look like AE. Second of all, I added a basic particle class (which I will definitely be re-making sometime :/), but for now the only randomness was the burst direction, which for now wasn't affected by sword allocation at all.

Furthermore, I made Roaches behave like real roaches now.
(That link was Excellent!)

Here's another image to impress y'all. (And no, It's not a stolen image from AE. I can send you the .exe if you doubt. Plus, the particles are symmetric and non-physically affected.)

-Insane

[Last edited by Insane at 11-13-2007 03:56 PM]
11-13-2007 at 03:50 PM
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
so far the the pictures your showing it seems like you've recreated DROD:AE. (although i do know that's not what you're aiming for, but still quite impressive.

11-17-2007 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Insane

File: DROD.zip (637.2 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
License: Creative Commons
AttributionNoncommercial 3.0 Unported
True, but I'm really aiming for AE right now, at least until somebody gives me an idea for something else.
I'm still staying as flexible as possible, although right now the interface and game-are and room size are hardcoded, I can change them easily without breaking anything. (Although I suppose I have to make the window+border larger. :P)

But what I can change at any time is tile size. (From 14 to 22, say)

Back to the matter at hand (for me), I need help from somebody that's more experienced in C# than me.
What I'm (still) trying to do is the R and Backspace keys.
All of this is being handled in the RoomState class, which provides a few arrays, lists and variables that get copied from the actual room when saving, and get overwritten when loading.

But somehow this isn't working just as expected. (And monsters, which should be copied in both the roomTiles array and the movementList list, aren't updating at all. Only the player is being duplicated (!), although since the sword is shared, there's only one sword in the room)

I'm uploading the source here, although you need both Visual C# Studio 2005 Express Edition (Only Express) and Microsoft XNA Framework 1.0 Refresh for it to work. (Not to mention DirectX 9, so it's Windows-only anyways) Also needed is the .NET Framework 2.0 or greater.
If anybody doesn't have either of these, links are provided at this topic.

-Insane

EDIT: Re-uploading new version.
Changes:
The current room's tiles are destroyed before re-loading, that way the old roaches actually disappear.
What's still not working is that the stored roaches re-load.
Also, I've made a message pop up when you die.
Furthermore, I've included the built version (DROD\bin\x86\Release) for those that don't have visual studio.
However, you do still need the XNA Framework and .NET Framework for it to run.

[Last edited by Insane at 11-17-2007 10:26 PM]
11-17-2007 at 06:45 PM
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
Aww, stupid XNA. I myself downloaded XNA Game Studio 1.0 Refresh. You know what I got? A help Index overcrowded to the point of being useless, and the unfortunate knowledge that my graphics card does not support the latest Direct3D. I can make an empty XNA game, strip every code page of every Using statement I can safetly remove without a failed build, and it will still complain about Direct3D when I debug it.
But I digress. And I do so quite often. Actually, it makes sense given how, in real life, every other thing I say is a complaint.

Anyways, props to you, Insane. This program seems to be coming along nicely. And surprisingly quickly. Either that or it just seems quick because I've only been visiting once a week.

[Last edited by Kwakstur at 11-18-2007 11:31 PM]
11-18-2007 at 11:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Yet another DROD spin-off (Should I try it?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com