Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
<<56575859
Page 60 of 88
61626364>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
IP: Logged
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (0)  
Yes. That is the obvious :) That isn't the answer I was looking for. I'll add some hints later on.

[Last edited by Blondbeard at 10-28-2006 09:29 AM]
10-28-2006 at 09:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+2)  
Hmm.. I was about to (in fact, I did, then I deleted it) guess that it was a proof of Pythagoras' Theorem, but that is actually a slightly different picture.
10-28-2006 at 10:01 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904

File: puzzleblondbeard.PNG (2.4 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+1)  
To save those on slow connections, I managed to reduce the size of your file to less than 0.5% of the one you posted. Please don't use bmp unless absolutely necessary...

"Oook!"
10-28-2006 at 10:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501

File: puzzleblondbeard.PNG (2.9 KB)
Downloaded 646 times.
Hmm, is it maybe the fact that if you "unflip" the triangles, you get a square again?

10-28-2006 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Well... I don't know how to treat this. The correct answer has been posted, but in a slightly odd form. In fact it is a proof of Pythagoras Theorem. There are multiple pictures wich proves the theorem, but I like this one. Name the triangles sides a, b and c (which is also the side of the large square). It should be easy to see that a squared plus b squared is indeed equal to c squared. Since you actually did post this, Tripple M, I say you gave the correct answer.
10-28-2006 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
There are literally an infinite number of proofs for the Pythagorean Theorem. At least, according to one book that listed thousands of them.

I see this proof now (had to think about it for a bit before I discovered (a-b)^2), but the proof I learned first (and best) comes from Maurog's picture, where we have (a+b)^2. I just see that more clearly.

10-28-2006 at 12:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
If that was in 3D, it would make quite a nice vase.
10-28-2006 at 01:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TripleM
Yeah, I guess it does work with this picture as well, though the proof using the other picture (which is almost identical to yours except the triangles are flipped the other way, so its easy to mix them up by accident, which is why I still posted that guess ;)) seems to be a lot more clear. Oh well, now I'll have to think up a puzzle..
10-29-2006 at 12:14 AM
TripleM
OK, I haven't come up with anything yet, but I'll continue to think; I've heard so many good ones but none come to mind right now. If anyone else knows one, feel free to take over.
10-29-2006 at 10:33 AM
jamesdenem
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 203
Well, I guess since nobody else has any ideas, I might as well post one.

What is the next number(Shown as '?') of the following sequence, and why?

4, 3, 3, 5, 4, 4, ?

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
11-02-2006 at 07:12 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
jamesdenem wrote:
Well, I guess since nobody else has any ideas, I might as well post one.

What is the next number(Shown as '?') of the following sequence, and why?

4, 3, 3, 5, 4, 4, ?

[Last edited by jbluestein at 11-02-2006 07:19 PM]
11-02-2006 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Yes, duh. I was thinking:
Click here to view the secret text

Instead of

11-02-2006 at 07:52 PM
jamesdenem
Rank Points: 203
Pretty quick response, jbluestein got the number, and Kevin_P86 got the reason. You two can decide amond yourselves who wants to post the next puzzle, and if neither of you do, I have a much more difficult one in mind...

This signature intenionally left blank. Disregard any text you may find here, because it is probably just your imagination, and not a signature in any way. We mean it, don't believe that there is text here.
11-02-2006 at 08:02 PM
Kevin_P86
jbluestein got it first, so I think it should be his turn. But I can come up with something if he prefers...

11-02-2006 at 08:22 PM
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
Kevin_P86 wrote:
jbluestein got it first, so I think it should be his turn. But I can come up with something if he prefers...

Go for it. Sick baby means little sleep. Means brain no work too good.

11-02-2006 at 09:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86

File: puzzle.jpg (33.9 KB)
Downloaded 459 times.
Ok. This is likely one that everyone has seen before at some point, but it's still a good one. Your task is to draw a continuous curving line (in two dimensions) that passes through each line segment of this diagram exactly once (i.e. it must start and end at the same point). Is it possible? What if the line need not start and end at the same point? Is it possible then?

To avoid confusion, I have labeled the 16 line segments that need to be crossed. The order in which the segments are crossed is unimportant.

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 11-02-2006 10:38 PM]
11-02-2006 at 10:37 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Using geometry, I don't even need to try to tell you that it isn't possible, because the two bottom sections each have 5 surrounding segments, and there are 9 on the outside. Since 5 and 9 are odd numbers, 3 odd numbers makes it unsolvable, whether or not it is continuous.
11-03-2006 at 12:26 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
And the middle box on the top has an odd number (5) as well :)

Your turn, coppro.

11-03-2006 at 12:43 AM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
coppro wrote:
Using geometry, I don't even need to try to tell you that it isn't possible, because the two bottom sections each have 5 surrounding segments, and there are 9 on the outside. Since 5 and 9 are odd numbers, 3 odd numbers makes it unsolvable, whether or not it is continuous.
I think you can also convert the diagram to a graph, with the spaces inside the rectangle as nodes, and edges as arcs, and use this to solve the puzzle. There are 9 arcs to the outside, and three nodes with 5 arcs inside the rectangle. So, the puzzle is unsolvable, because you will end up with at least two "unpaired" arcs, where a "pair" of arcs is a pair that allows you to enter and then leave a particular node. The unpaired arcs allow you to enter a node, but there won't be any arcs left leaving from that node (it's an odd, single arc), so you can't leave.

11-03-2006 at 01:20 AM
Kevin_P86
agaricus5 wrote:
coppro wrote:
I think you can also convert the diagram to a graph, with the spaces inside the rectangle as nodes, and edges as arcs, and use this to solve the puzzle. There are 9 arcs to the outside, and three nodes with 5 arcs inside the rectangle. So, the puzzle is unsolvable, because you will end up with at least two "unpaired" arcs, where a "pair" of arcs is a pair that allows you to enter and then leave a particular node. The unpaired arcs allow you to enter a node, but there won't be any arcs left leaving from that node (it's an odd, single arc), so you can't leave.
Yes, exactly. After converting it to a graph the object is to find an Euler Circuit in the first case, and an Euler Path in the second case. We have theorems which state an Euler Circuit exists iff all vertices have even degree (and the graph is connected, of course), and we have an Euler Path iff 0 or 2 vertices have an odd degree (and the graph is connected).

11-03-2006 at 01:38 AM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Kevin_P86 wrote:

Instead of
There are -1 types of people in the world... those who initialise arrays with 1 vs those who initialise them with 0 ;)
11-03-2006 at 09:46 AM
Kevin_P86
Syntax wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:

Instead of
There are -1 types of people in the world... those who initialise arrays with 1 vs those who initialise them with 0 ;)
I don't think I've EVER initialized an array with 1's... and I've initialized A LOT of arrays in my day! I assumed it would start with 1 because that's the only way I've seen this puzzle before... :)

11-03-2006 at 05:14 PM
MartianInvader
Rank Points: 126

File: puzzle.jpg (67.1 KB)
Downloaded 336 times.
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+4)  
Kevin_P86 wrote:

To avoid confusion, I have labeled the 16 line segments that need to be crossed. The order in which the segments are crossed is unimportant.

Hehe... you managed to cause confusion with the labeling. Thought I'd post this since it took me a little while to make. It's what happens when you don't read the puzzle closely enough. :bangin

[Last edited by MartianInvader at 11-04-2006 12:36 AM]
11-04-2006 at 12:35 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501

File: solution.JPG (13.1 KB)
Downloaded 327 times.
icon Re: Puzzle "tag" (+4)  
Actually, there is a solution, and all the people using Euler are wrong. The answer lies in Kevin_86's ingenious use of the word "segment" as opposed to say "edge". These things are segments, they have width and height, and there are two ways to cross any of them - horizontally and vertically. Here is an example of a solution crossing all the segments and ending in the same spot:

11-04-2006 at 10:01 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I don't care if this is the intended answer or not, that's damn clever.

11-04-2006 at 10:24 AM
agaricus5
Maurog wrote:
Actually, there is a solution, and all the people using Euler are wrong. The answer lies in Kevin_86's ingenious use of the word "segment" as opposed to say "edge". These things are segments, they have width and height, and there are two ways to cross any of them - horizontally and vertically.
That is an ingenious interpretation of the word "segment", I agree, but I don't agree with you about your definition of the word "segment". A segment is a portion or piece of something, but the word "segment" doesn't necessarily define the dimensions of an object. If I told you I am thinking of a "line segment", would you say the "line" I'm thinking of has one or two dimensions?

Therefore, you can't say that either answer is wrong; you can only say that each answer is correct, given a certain assumption about the puzzle.

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-04-2006 02:40 PM]
11-04-2006 at 02:38 PM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
(poke poke)
11-08-2006 at 10:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1980
The answer is Eppoke, Oklahoma.

11-10-2006 at 04:13 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
RoboBob3000 wrote:

But what is the question? "What is a surprisingly good holiday destination?" "What town will give birth to the Antichrist?" "What town (including state) is an anagram of 'A Meek Polka Hoop'?"

11-10-2006 at 09:08 AM
agaricus5
RoboBob3000 wrote:
Actually, the answer is this.

Edit: Is there something wrong with this joke here? No-one posted a puzzle, so I can't see the harm in replying to Rabscuttle.

Of course, it might be a random negative modder, but the question is then: "why"?

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-12-2006 04:40 PM]
11-10-2006 at 08:35 PM
<<56575859
Page 60 of 88
61626364>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Forum Games : Puzzle "tag" (Don't forget to read the rules in the first post!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com