Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: beta testing (Fantasy turn-based strategy game)
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Raskir
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged

File: Monolith.ley (16.5 KB)
Downloaded 24 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: Leylines: beta testing (0)  
When trying to build a Grand Monolith (See attached file, City Ghauze) the production will freeze on 999 Points (1200 needed), even if I use Rush build, it will go up to 1029 but in the next Turn go back to 999.

Also if I select a Team at the beginning or make a pact, is there any way to get out of this later?

Raskir

[Last edited by Raskir at 10-18-2007 09:52 AM]
10-18-2007 at 09:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Timlagor
Playing Regency, my flying units won't cross water (not even rivers!) -for some reason Bellerephon (flying hero) is an exception to this.
10-18-2007 at 08:22 PM
wwhitney
Timlagor wrote:
Playing Regency, my flying units won't cross water (not even rivers!) -for some reason Bellerephon (flying hero) is an exception to this.
Are your flying units undead? Undead can't cross rivers, apparently even when flying.

10-18-2007 at 11:23 PM
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
i've tried it, and i think that it really isnt that good.

it has got the potentual, but its gameplay is WAY to slow ( and I keep mixing up the mouse buttons, but thats just my problem )

thanks to your loverly game I have hardly slept the last two nights, becuase i spent all the time playing leylines, waiting for something to happen and nothing does.

maybe you should take a look at civilizations 2: test of time

that one works.

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
10-20-2007 at 09:29 AM
Timlagor
It might help if there was a steeper ramp in unit power... the basic units don't seem that much weaker than the big ones. (see my earlier comment about letting us see the formulae)
10-23-2007 at 04:25 AM
wonkyth
I must say, I think you are quite wrong in that account.

but i think that the defense of units doesn't seem to affect it much, cos my dwarf sopoliphs (or whatever they are) die so easily.

and the things like thunderbolt that the sorcerer's get (and the battleships bombard) doesn't seem to do much..

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
10-28-2007 at 04:12 AM
The Mystic
Rank Points: 18
Raskir wrote:
When trying to build a Grand Monolith (See attached file, City Ghauze) the production will freeze on 999 Points (1200 needed), even if I use Rush build, it will go up to 1029 but in the next Turn go back to 999.
I noticed that too in my game, and I had three Grand Monoliths going at once. The only thing I can think of (though I haven't tried this yet) is to raise your labor to at least 200. Sure it's impractical, but it's so crazy that it just might work.

Click here to view the secret text

10-29-2007 at 05:19 PM
The Mystic

File: Mystic_strange_win.ley (11.2 KB)
Downloaded 22 times.
License: Public Domain
I have one complaint about the music: It's too loud. I still live at home, and as a courtesy to everyone else, I usually wear earphones when I'm on the computer. Unfortunately, I have overly sensitive hearing, and the volume is still way too loud for me, even on the lowest setting. :crazy It's great music, but I don't want to go deaf listening to it. (FYI: The same is true for ST1 & ST2.)

Another thing about the music, but this time it's a bug report. Whenever I end combat mode, the combat music stays on. I can't post a save file to show you the bug, because the music goes back to normal when I reload.

Second bug report: I seem to have won this game, in a rather strange way (this is the one I posted), even though I checked "Victory by conquest only" when setting it up. When I click on my ship north of the town of Irnsi, I win the game when I end my turn; if I don't click on it, the game continues normally when my turn ends. A win's a win, but still... :huh :blink :hmmm:

11-03-2007 at 04:11 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
wwhitney wrote:
Is the Alliance race option in the game supposed to be working?
Yes. I'll look into that; perhaps a different racial combination works.

wwhitney wrote:
Hmm, I find that sometimes when I hover the mouse over the name of a completed building in the city screen the tooltip at the bottom of the screen says I can destroy the building by left-clicking on it (or right-clicking)
If you open the 'city options' menu, you get to destroy buildings.

* What do the magic spheres do?
Good point. They give you different spells. For instance, you get mending if you have body/1, and you get meteor swarm if you have energy/3

* How do land stats contribute to city stats? (I *think* all the land within two squares matters somehow but I couldn't swear to it)
Yes, it does.

* How do the combat calculations work? (obviously more little swords will help but how much?) ...I reckon most people who want a turn-based game prefer to know the mechanics.
They're ratherr complex, but I'll ese what I can do.

- Sight range should be increased imo. Vision should be limitted but wandering around so blindly is a bit much
It's a design feature :) both Civ1 and MOM give most of your units a vision of 1 square. Or hex, in this case.

-there's very little reason not to raze them that I can see
There's one - it decreases morale in other cities.

(and shouldn't it be possible to pillage them for some dosh?)
Logically, yes. In earlier incarnations of the game, this was possible, but it proved unbalancing - you've already taken over a city from the other guy, adding bonuses to that isn't necessary.

Anyone else think making your heroes into laborer-researchers and leaving them in your cities to train seems the best strategy?
It's certainly viable.

11-10-2007 at 09:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
The Mystic wrote:
I have one complaint about the music: It's too loud.
Try the windows control panel.

wonkyth wrote:
but i think that the defense of units doesn't seem to affect it much, cos my dwarf sopoliphs (or whatever they are) die so easily.
Their defense is high but their resistance isn't really, so they'll fall to magical attacks.

and the things like thunderbolt that the sorcerer's get (and the battleships bombard) doesn't seem to do much..
You mean the overland abilities? Try stacking a bunch of ballistae next to a city for some major ouch. Also, putting those units on Guard is useful.

the basic units don't seem that much weaker than the big ones
Yes, they are. For the best examples, play Theria.

it has got the potentual, but its gameplay is WAY to slow
Really? I can finish a game of Leylines in a few hours, a game of Civ generally takes three or four times longer. And I know some games that open up detailed battle panels whenever a combat occurs.

11-10-2007 at 09:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Keiji
Load this savegame and the game will freeze 2 seconds after you dismiss all the news reports... it does on my computer, anyway.

http://fusion-global.org/share/_Autosave_.ley

Suggestions: Make the enemies move after you click end turn and before the news reports - that would stop any defense battles starting unexpectedly while you're busy oh, changing employment or something, and then screwing up all the other reports. Make the transitions a LOT faster (or remove them outright), cause they're just annoying. And make the shaded areas use proper alpha blending, not ugly screendoor filtering, because that really makes my eyes bleed.

Also, are humans supposed to be the weakest race, or am I doing something wrong?

[Last edited by Keiji at 11-11-2007 09:10 PM]
11-11-2007 at 09:05 PM
Radiant
Thanks for everybody's suggestions so far, I'll put up a new beta this week.

Transitions can be disabled by going to the config screen and setting 'detail mode' to OFF.

I'm afraid I can't use alpha blending in the code.

Humans have excellent research ability, as well as a good set of high movement units (the entire cavalry line), one of the best terrain changers (agriculturist) and several high-powered bombard units (ballistae, warlocks, priests).

Races may appear stronger or weaker depending on your playstyle. Of course, I'd be happy to hear suggestions that "this unit should be stronger/weaker/faster/anything". Tweaks are easy to implement.

11-12-2007 at 01:22 AM
Keiji
Transitions can be disabled by going to the config screen and setting 'detail mode' to OFF.

Hmm... does that turn off anything else at the same time? (being as it's called "detail mode" not just "transitions")

I'm afraid I can't use alpha blending in the code.

Well, all you really have to do for darkening is bitshift each pixel's color value right by 1 and then bitwise AND it with 0x7F7F7F7F. Alpha blending is more general. Still, I can't see why you can't alpha blend - Windows XP does it all the time and that's six years old already. Hell, it'd make more sense to port this game to VB2005, which can do surprisingly fast graphics and natively supports alpha transparency, not to mention fixing the annoying "alt-tab or ctrl-esc or windows key or ctrl+alt+del or sleep or whatever and the game hangs" bug.

Of course, the other thing you can do is use a palette and then just darken the palette.

Humans have excellent research ability, as well as a good set of high movement units (the entire cavalry line), one of the best terrain changers (agriculturist) and several high-powered bombard units (ballistae, warlocks, priests).

Races may appear stronger or weaker depending on your playstyle. Of course, I'd be happy to hear suggestions that "this unit should be stronger/weaker/faster/anything". Tweaks are easy to implement.

Well, it's just that every time I fight a team of these fire-mages or whatever they are 6 vs 6, I end up killing only one or two of them and then being defeated. That goes for other enemies too. Hopefully you'll have fixed the freezing bug I mentioned by the next beta so I can carry on with that game.

One more thing: What's up with the battle system? No matter how strong or weak a unit is, it seems to do random amounts of damage each time it attacks, and the ranged attackers seem to get to attack a million times more than everyone else.
11-12-2007 at 06:51 AM
wonkyth

so they'll fall to magical attacks.
im sure I wasnt having magick used on me.

ok, you win, it is resenobly un-slow, but its still not particuleraly engaging

I like your termanology, "ballistae" :fun

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-13-2007 at 03:56 AM
wonkyth
I think it needs a campaign, too

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-13-2007 at 03:58 AM
Keiji
Hmm, when I turn details off, the game still displays all the transitions, except the one between the title screen and options screen.

Also, you should put the "List cities" button on the main menu that says Armies/Cast spell/Survey/Mirror/etc.
11-13-2007 at 05:45 PM
The Mystic
Radiant wrote:
The Mystic wrote:
I have one complaint about the music: It's too loud.
Try the windows control panel.
I did that when I got my computer. The control panel volume is already on the lowest possible setting without turning the sound off altogether, and so is the in-game volume control; unfortunately, it's still too loud. Kind of a pity since, as I said before, it's really great music.

[Last edited by The Mystic at 11-13-2007 09:49 PM]
11-13-2007 at 09:45 PM
jeffandy1234
I played leylines, and im an avid fan if civ games. I noticed immediately it was tedious trying to control my soldiers and cities. You should interphase a keyboard short cut for every option. This would make gameplay more tolerable. :thumbsup
11-14-2007 at 01:00 AM
wonkyth
you could also try a quick access button to your cities, like there is in HOMMIII.

and whith the complaints about the music(for ST too),
all the speakers I own have gone burko :angry

and it would also be good for my poor downloads if maybe future stuff could be in patches :|

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 11-14-2007 03:22 AM]
11-14-2007 at 03:15 AM
jeffandy1234
This has to do with beta testing, but not for leyline. I thought id through out there the possibility of adding a windowed mode for sub-terra, as a consumer and an addicted one. :yes, being able to click from my messenger service or the internet to subterra is quite a luxury, instead i have to use the windows program minimize button on my key board..just a thought! :fun
11-16-2007 at 03:38 AM
NEHZ
I've had some troubles with the restless dead.
Sometimes my skeletons suddenly get damaged or even dissappear, without any news messages or combats. Do they have the unstable ability? Because if they do, it's not on their statscreen.
I honestly hope they've got it, beceause as non-upkeep units they'd be way too strong otherwise.

I've also got some troubles where the sound and game suddenly start to hiccup. I can save the game quickly, exit the game and start it again and it runs normally, untill after a while it happens again. Disabling the music in the options menu of the game seems to fix this, but leaves me without music.

I've also had many instances where windows fight to be the one being displayed. Sometimes the most front window isn't filled with background, making the text appear right on other text and giving an unreadable result.

The Mystic wrote:
I did that when I got my computer. The control panel volume is already on the lowest possible setting without turning the sound off altogether, and so is the in-game volume control; unfortunately, it's still too loud. Kind of a pity since, as I said before, it's really great music.
Sometimes front headphone outlets use way too strong signals.
If nothing else helps, you may want to try and get headphones that can adjust volume themselves, so you don't depend on software or computer hardware.

11-17-2007 at 01:27 PM
jeffandy1234
Im also playing leylines and i love the concept. Besides some of the programming errors theres a few visual things i think would make the game more apealing. sprite shading, also offer a zoom out mode that allows you to see the grand scale, medium scale and close scale. Right now i think the overhead is too close. The charectors are abnoxiously too big. And again a keyboard shortcut for all options would make it more fun. :thumbsup
11-17-2007 at 05:49 PM
Danjen02
Rank Points: 11
Hey, just a quick OT question Radiant: How did you set up the grid system for the hexes? Just wondering since I like to start making homebrew games but never finishing them. That, and doing a hex-based grid is something I never figured out, but would like to know.

EDIT:
Races - Human
I haven't really played the Humans since the tutorial, but for some reason, every time I get a ballista under my control (mercenary or whatever else), I am never able to select any target for bombard! Any reason why this would be?

Races - Goblin
I think the Goblin race /can/ be a bit overpowered at times. Try playing on a larger map with your deity set to Ehrdrayl the Avenger and get all your combat groups with a Tribe in them. +4 XP per turn guarenteed. That, or you can use the Chaos spell Degenerate and turn a group of rabble into undead with a Theurgist. I think a little refinement and tweaking is necessary, but I really do like the concept of a unit-driven race.

Races - Regency
Initially I had a strong liking to the Regency. However, I find it is one of the harder races to play. Early on it has slaves and lumberjacks to power out buildings and units; even slave drivers and their rush build thingy can help too. However, doing it too often can leave you in an economical ruin. I think that as the alliance, the Regency's lumberjacks comboed very well with the Elves (?) who get the unit that can grow forests. I believe I set up a cycle so that any city could get +40 work done each turn. Even the ghouls can be fairly devastating when they encounter the Theria shapeshifters early on, because now YOU have a scout that functions well. I think this race is the one that was the best designed. :thumbsup

General - High level vs. Low level units
It could be just me, but I always tend to take a more economical approach to strategy games as opposed to a military rush. Maybe I'm just not building enough of a military, but my units (even high levelled ones) rarely have staying power when they are by themselves.

General - User Settings
Perhaps you could implement a profile selection? That way, each profile's settings, such as race, random map settings, deity, magic spheres, etc. can be all set ahead of time and not have to be fiddled with each game. Also, maybe, just maybe you could add in a replay system or at the very least, have a system that exports to a .txt file all of the moves each player made that game on each week. For longer games, the txt transcript could reach over 200kb, but I think that to be able to analyze games in depth would be worth it.

General - Random Map
Maybe when a random map is generated, it can be saved to 'random_map.ley' so that it can be archived, edited, or viewed later.

General - Building Repetition
Over time I realized that most races have a set of buildings in common, most with a 'mix-and-match' approach. Each race had a +4 research building or two, and that could be slapped on with another effect such as +1 mana/sorcerer, or half penalty from switching building projects. My point is that the buildings seem vastly cut and paste, and in my mind, the tech tree appears to be overcomplicated to compensate for this.

As an example, for the game Starcraft, the Zerg's building for resource collection also doubles for all their unit production, whereas other races' did not. I'm not telling you to make a Starcraft clone, but rather, that I think many would prefer a little more variety throughout.

[Last edited by Danjen02 at 11-18-2007 06:45 AM]
11-18-2007 at 06:01 AM
Timlagor
Not sure if it's the right answer but you can't bombard unless there is an enemy next to you to target -bombard only targets adjacent hexes.

I found that guarding was a bad idea in general as is uses up *next* turn's actions so 90% of the time (or more) you could get the same effect by just camping and activating the unit on your next turn ..thereby getting additional control over what to fight, when and how.
11-19-2007 at 01:57 AM
Danjen02
Hmm, it seems you're right about bombard. I can't imagine it would be easy to position the ballistae correctly for it.

Ooh, found another 'bug' too; The instant your computer opponents control no cities you win. However, it was only when I controlled absolutely nothing (including units) that I was defeated. Either way, it should be consistant.

11-19-2007 at 02:46 AM
wonkyth
instead i have to use the windows program minimize button on my key board.
I cant even do that!!, though I've no idea why not.
every time its minimised it crashes! :-O :~(

and I think it would be nice if the battle was more detailed, like if it had a hex-board as well.
that worked really nice in Heroes Of Might and Magic 3
the goblins could probably do with a few more troops, say some sort of siege-weapon, other than the broken ones and that weed thing.

I like the idea of the Lycanthropes, though, the definition of Lycanthropy is "In folklore, lycanthropy is the ability or power of a human being to undergo transformation into a wolf. The term comes from Greek lykánthropos (λυκάνθρωπος;): λύκος, lýkos ("wolf") + άνθρωπος, ánthrōpos ("man") (Rose, 230). The word can also be used transitively, referring to the act of transforming someone else into a wolf, or werewolf.

The word lycanthropy is often used generically for any transformation of a human into animal form, though the precise term for that is technically "therianthropy". Sometimes, "zoanthropy" is used instead of "therianthropy" (Guiley, 192).

Folk-etymology also links the word to Lycaon, a king of Arcadia who, according to Ovid's Metamorphoses, was turned into a ravenous wolf in retribution for attempting to serve human flesh (his own son) to visiting Zeus in an attempt to disprove the god's divinity.

There is also a mental illness called lycanthropy in which a patient believes he or she is, or has transformed into, an animal and behaves accordingly. This is sometimes referred to as clinical lycanthropy to distinguish it from its use in legends."*

sorry, I just thought I'd say that so some poor soul doesn't get confused.

*this is taken derectly from Wikipedia, I hope I'm allowed to do this. :blush

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes

[Last edited by wonkyth at 11-19-2007 05:32 AM]
11-19-2007 at 05:14 AM
wonkyth
The instant your computer opponents control no cities you win.
that would explain why I keep winning one player VS. one PC games for no apparent reason.

- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
11-19-2007 at 05:34 AM
The Mystic
Danjen02 wrote:
General - Random Map
Maybe when a random map is generated, it can be saved to 'random_map.ley' so that it can be archived, edited, or viewed later.
Or if you want to play another game with the same map, but with diffrent settings. I had a particularly good one a while back where I played as Elves, and would've loved playing it again as another race.

11-19-2007 at 05:33 PM
NEHZ
Apperently, if you click in the up-left corner of the game it gets deactivated (looses focus, such as when you place a window in front of it or when it gets minimized). When that happens it crashes.

Edit to avoid double posting:
This time I play and the skeletons work just fine, not suddenly loosing hit points etc. I think that other game was just a bit bugged. This does mean that restless dead is completely imbalanced. The units aren't bad for their cost in the first place, not adding an upkeep is rediculous. I've seen some strange things with upkeeps at more places in the game, some units having a relative high upkeep, while other units that are just as good have less. I havn't played the dwarves yet, but I've seen a firecaster that has a low build time and a low upkeep for really high stats. (the low upkeep being relative to the stats)

The void:
I cast a spell calling the void. According to it's description it has an upkeep of 10 and can kill enemy units.
The word enemy indicates that your own units aren't troubled with it. They are.
After a while when I wanted to cancel the spell, I didn't see it in my mirror. I also had rejuvenation wich should have an upkeep of 5. According to my mirror I had 6 upkeep of big spells. Either the void didn't show and only costs one upkeep, or it's bugged in a way that it doesn't register who cast it at all, and the rejuvenation costs 6 isntead of 5.
I did recast the void spell to see if it hadn't gone away because someone else cast it, but there was no difference.

[Last edited by NEHZ at 11-20-2007 04:47 PM]
11-19-2007 at 07:21 PM
Danjen02
I think it's balanced for the firewalker, since I think that it is fairly high up on the tech tree, so you have to research it quite a bit first.

11-20-2007 at 09:44 PM
Page 2 of 4
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Leylines: beta testing (Fantasy turn-based strategy game)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com