Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Not recieved CaravelNet - what am I doing wrong?
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
hartleyhair
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 307
IP: Logged
icon Re: Not recieved CaravelNet - what am I doing wrong? (0)  
I didn't, but I don't have a spam filter and I've set the Caravel address as non-junk anyway. Could you just PM me the code? It seems you have thew wrong email address... should I email you that?

EDIT: I've just realised how bizarre that last sentence sounds. :blush

[Last edited by hartleyhair at 10-02-2007 06:35 PM]
10-02-2007 at 05:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3516
hartleyhair wrote:
It seems you have thew wrong email address... should I email you that?
Well, is the email address in your forum profile correct? I guess that's where most of the correspondence would be sent to...

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you still haven't answered whether you got a copy of the last Illumination newsletter, which would be another clue as to what's going on email-wise...

np: Burnt Friedman - Where Should I Go (ft. Steve Spacek) (First Night Forever)

10-02-2007 at 11:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I send all emails back to the email addresses they were sent from, so your forum profile has nothing to do with it.

I'm happy to PM you the links.

10-03-2007 at 04:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
hartleyhair
Rank Points: 307
Yippedooda! CaravelNet is in grasp at last!!! :D :D :D :thumbsup :thumbsup

10-03-2007 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
TisMe
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Mattcrampy,

In your above reply, you state you sent me an email with the reactivitation link. I do not know where you sent it but you sure did not send it to me (no, it is not in spam filters, junk mail, and any other assorted places). You must have the wrong address.

I am sending another email to the support email. Please use the reply feature to ensure it comes to me. Thk you for your assistance.

TisMe

10-03-2007 at 10:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Yeah, I did that last time. I'll send a test email to your email account as well as a PM.

I want to emphasise to people that our support queue doesn't match your email address to your Caravel account, quite the opposite, in fact. I can't see your Caravel account unless I match you up with an order that you've activated on your account. I only ever see the address you sent the email from, and that is the address I reply to.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 10-04-2007 07:08 AM]
10-04-2007 at 07:07 AM
TisMe
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Hi Mattcrampy,

I am sorry if I was 'snappy' in my earlier reply; did not mean to be - was just frustrated.

Got your PM; not your email. Why I do not know. I have rec'd emails from several different IDs from caravelgames.com; the last thing I rec'd was on 6-27-07 from caravelgames3.com.

Today, I spent time with my ISP tech support; also checked all emails in my DROD folder (yup, I keep them). There appears to be two 'caravel link types' I cannot receive and support had to type the data in emails to me (after repeated attempts failed).

Will send you an email in detail. Thank you for your help.

TisMe

10-05-2007 at 03:13 AM
coppro
Rank Points: 1309
TisMe wrote:
Today, I spent time with my ISP tech support; also checked all emails in my DROD folder (yup, I keep them). There appears to be two 'caravel link types' I cannot receive and support had to type the data in emails to me (after repeated attempts failed).
:-O I wish I had an ISP like that. Although mine just adds a large indicator to the subject line, there are plenty of other cases where I'd like to see support like this.
10-05-2007 at 03:41 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
icon Re: Not recieved CaravelNet - what am I doing wrong? (+1)  
FWIW, I had my mail server misconfigured a bit - I thought I had TLS totally disabled when obviously it was only horribly misconfigured - and found out that was the cause for my CaravelNet key requests and some extra copies of the last Illumination not finding their way here, which then trickled in after I had TLS disabled correctly.

Is the CaravelNet server even supposed to try establishing a secure SMTP connection when mailing out stuff since it's not authenticating to the mail server anyway? Maybe that's what's causing problems for other people as well?

10-05-2007 at 08:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
You might want to e-mail or PM your suspicions to Jamie, Briareos, because I doubt he'll read this thread and it'll take a while to get back to him (if ever).

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
10-05-2007 at 01:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Oneiromancer wrote:
You might want to e-mail or PM your suspicions to Jamie, Briareos, because I doubt he'll read this thread and it'll take a while to get back to him (if ever).
[X] Done.

np: Future Sound Of London - Still Flowers (From The Archives Vol. 1)

10-05-2007 at 04:09 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Hi. Yeah. Just saw this now. Sorry, I've been offline the last few weeks.

Indeed, the mail server uses TLS where available.

The thing to note is that TLS can do authentication, and encryption, and whilst you may require authentication between 2 particular servers (e.g. for mail relaying etc.) it's NOT required if authentication isn't necessarily required - that is, whilst I have no certificate-authorisation to any other server, we'll still talk TLS to any server that will accept it, simply for the channel to be encrypted... This section frm RFC 2487 can explain things more clearly ! :

quote = rfc 2487:

5.1 Processing After the STARTTLS Command

After the TLS handshake has been completed, both parties MUST
immediately decide whether or not to continue based on the
authentication and privacy achieved. The SMTP client and server may
decide to move ahead even if the TLS negotiation ended with no
authentication and/or no privacy because most SMTP services are
performed with no authentication and no privacy, but some SMTP
clients or servers may want to continue only if a particular level of
authentication and/or privacy was achieved.

In other words, it's valid to use TLS without certificates, simply to achieve an encrypted session, but with no guarantees of identity.

Incidently, I've just moved the caravelmail relay to another server (if you are tracking by IP, it's changed from 66.148.74.43 to 66.148.74.46) -- this server doesn't have TLS currently, but maydo in the future.

More important stuff will in future come via a different server - unfortunately, it seems there are many daft sites out there that block mail IP addresses as 'spammers' simply because they send more than XXX messages in a certain timeframe... Many sites are blocking caravel mail because of this.

Click here to view the secret text

Hopefully, I'll be able to automate blocks, and maybe get a PM to automatically be sent to users when their email is being blocked.. Whatever, Erik and I are currently working on improving the reliablility of the mailouts.

[Last edited by jamie at 10-21-2007 11:48 PM]
10-21-2007 at 11:47 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Not recieved CaravelNet - what am I doing wrong?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com