Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Smallsome Swicks (Puzzles that mostly involve invisibility potions.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (35 votes)
σ 1.14
Author Name:Erik Hermansen
Submitted By:ErikH2000
Hold Name:Smallsome Swicks
Theme:Puzzles that mostly involve invisibility potions.
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:13
Number of Monsters:295
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:4 (+4 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Smallsome Swicks.hold (9.5 KB)
Downloaded 3200 times.
License: Other
icon Smallsome Swicks  
Most of the rooms in this one-level hold make use of invisibility potions and how other monsters react to them. Before DROD:AE, we had not added the rules for how potions affect serpents, tar mothers, brains, etc., so this was my first chance to try it out.

At least two other new behaviors were exploited in the making of Smallsome Swicks, but I won't say what they are.

No hack-and-slash--these rooms are all about logic with some lynchpin solutions here and there.

-Erik
11-18-2003 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: Smallsome Swicks (0)  
I really enjoyed this hold, it had a lot of well thought out rooms. Erik made some pretty tricky puzzles here, most that involve snakes, tar, brains, and invisibility potions.

Specific room commets: Warning! May Contain Spoilers!
Click here to view the secret text

All in all, this was a great hold with well thought out puzzles. When I finished the hold I was still wanting more. Great job.
11-19-2003 at 04:20 PM
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
icon 1S 1W (0)  
I've never used invisibility potions before in Caravel so I don't know yet how it interacts with monsters. I have found out that snakes don't move if they aren't within the "shadow". So why, if you go straight in and get the potion, then move directly north till you hit the yellow gate and stay there either by pressing north or hitting 5, do all 13 snakes move east?
11-19-2003 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
Because the brain can sense you. When a brain is within the 5 square radius the potion is effectively useless, as it then transmits knowledge to ALL monsters in the room, whether they can "smell" Beethro or not.

"Oook!"
11-19-2003 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
If there's a brain within the detection range, it wakes up all the monsters in the room.

11-19-2003 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bandit1200
Rank Points: 290
eytanz wrote:
If there's a brain within the detection range, it wakes up all the monsters in the room.

Thanks. I finished that room without knowing that, but I'm sure the knowledge will help in others.
11-19-2003 at 08:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
Why is SS on here already? Shouldn't we all hope that Erik will add more levels?

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
11-27-2003 at 11:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I guess he decided this hold was as complete as it was going to be.

I'd rather have Erik focus his attention on 1.7, but maybe that's just me.

11-28-2003 at 12:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Smallsome Swicks (+1)  
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Why is SS on here already? Shouldn't we all hope that Erik will add more levels?
If he added any extra levels, it would then have to be called Largesome Swicks, which isn't so catchy.

Anyway, it is possible for a hold to be not too big, not too small, and instead just the right size

I've grown to appreciate those bite-sized holds, that I can complete in one, or possibly two evenings. I'm playing the bigger holds, but at the rate I'm going, noone is going to be getting any useful feedback for a long while. Plus, as hard as it is, I do try to occasionally do things other than play DROD. Like standing up. I distantly remember having friends, and I'm almost certain the house I'm in has more than one room. Unfortunately, I can find no yellow orbs.
11-28-2003 at 12:39 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Wait, I know how you solve that one!

Somewhere near the door, there's this thing you can turn, I think. Let me check GameFAQs just in case.

Matt

11-28-2003 at 03:11 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Just beat the final version, needed to do it again because I didn't still have the old version and couldn't rate it without playing it again, and when I went down the exit stairs I got sent to the beginning of the level again...just like for me in my own hold. So, is this happening to anyone else right now or just me?

But I did enjoy it as much as I did the first time I played through it. Was able to get through some of the rooms much more quickly, but they were still good challenges.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2003 at 05:38 AM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
I haven't played the final version yet, but when testing the rating system, I accidentally submitted a rating of 5 in both categories. Could an admin take 5 off both totals, to prevent the average from going out of porportion? If it isn't vital, it doesn't matter, but I wouldn't want submit a rating before playing the hold! :?

-Noah

My stuff:
Click here to view the secret text

11-29-2003 at 06:14 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
The default rating is 5 in both categories. Right now the average rating for "overall" is 9 out of 10 for 3 votes. There is no way that you can get that average with a vote of 5. So I don't think that your vote has counted. And even if it did, you can change your vote at any time, I believe, just by making that change and then clicking on the Rate button. So don't worry about it.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2003 at 06:37 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
Good level. Finished it in an evening. Is it wrong that the room that took the most time for me to finish was the exit?

There are definitely some interesting ideas in this hold for other architects to use in their own holds, and some interesting behaviours to implement in the strategies. Thanks Erik!

12-11-2003 at 01:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
DiMono wrote:
Good level. Finished it in an evening. Is it wrong that the room that took the most time for me to finish was the exit?

It was the same for me. ;) It's a very well-planned room. Then, when I finished everything, I forgot where the exit was! :twak

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
12-13-2003 at 02:00 AM
DiMono
I just went back to this hold and figured out how to do the Goblin Army room the first time entering it. Erik, do you mind if I edit this room to pull the rest of the exits out of it, and use it in my hold?

12-14-2003 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
DiMono wrote:
I just went back to this hold and figured out how to do the Goblin Army room the first time entering it. Erik, do you mind if I edit this room to pull the rest of the exits out of it, and use it in my hold?
No, that's fine, DiMono. But it's such a simple room, I don't see the point of copying it, unless maybe for story purposes.

-Erik

12-14-2003 at 02:12 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Well, I'm sure most people took the sequential exits method to do this room. It took me a full day to figure out the correct pattern to get it the first time entering, and without the mimics, no less. I just think it'll be an interesting challenge room, and will go well with a theme I have set up for one of my levels.

Thanks for letting me do this, and now I won't upload my demo I saved of it :D

12-14-2003 at 02:30 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I think this is the first hold outside of Dugan's with actual puzzles in it that I've finished. Mostly because I've dabbled in every other hold but I haven't sat down and done them.

Anyway, really clever hold (Once South had me going for ages) with some great puzzles. Of course, there is the broken exit (quick, Mike, put the patch out!) so it won't get marked as done, but other than that, great stuff.

Matt

01-11-2004 at 04:24 PM
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
Oneiromancer wrote:
Just beat the final version, needed to do it again because I didn't still have the old version and couldn't rate it without playing it again, and when I went down the exit stairs I got sent to the beginning of the level again...just like for me in my own hold. So, is this happening to anyone else right now or just me?

Nah, it happened to me, too. Must just be how it is set up. Still, it would be nice to see an ending after that work. I don't know how hard that is as I have not yet made a hold, but in my ignorance I still assert that a good hold has a good ending.

Still good, really liked the goblin room and the room next to it with all the useless orbs. Fun times!
Peace in the dungeons,
Koro

01-20-2004 at 05:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Oneiromancer wrote:
and when I went down the exit stairs I got sent to the beginning of the level again...just like for me in my own hold. So, is this happening to anyone else right now or just me?
There must be some persistent bug in my .dat file. In the editor, the exit points to the end. And the Smallsome Swicks I posted was a fresh export, so I dunno...

-Erik

01-20-2004 at 06:28 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
No, it works for most people I think...after following the steps that Avon posted in the Patch thread in the News forum it works, and I see the ending like normal. Of course, now my Dugan's is all screwed up. :( Not sure if they're related of course, yet...

Game on,

01-20-2004 at 09:31 AM
DiMono
Oneiromancer wrote:
No, it works for most people I think...after following the steps that Avon posted in the Patch thread in the News forum it works, and I see the ending like normal. Of course, now my Dugan's is all screwed up. :( Not sure if they're related of course, yet...

Game on,
I think it's Erik being a meanie. You can only have one of his holds working properly at a time, so if you want to play Dugan's again you'll have to uninstall Smallsome Swicks and export and import your player again. Muahahahaha! Power is good!

disclaimer: the above has been a pointless ranting, and does not reflect any facts at all.

01-21-2004 at 01:26 AM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I like StuartK's solution to 2S1E.

It's fun to see that there are better solutions than I come up with.

I wonder if this was Eric's solution.

[Last edited by larrymurk at 06-16-2005 02:22 AM]
06-16-2005 at 01:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
It was a surprise to me too that there were other solutions than mine... After your post I had a look through the remaining demos for the room, and tried an adaption of Stefans that was ~30 moves faster than the one I had before. I was kinda proud of the first solution though - it's almost a shame to upload such a demo. It'd be great to see a wider range of demos available on caravelnet for this and similar reasons. Fastest /= best.

[Last edited by StuartK at 06-16-2005 02:22 AM]
06-16-2005 at 02:22 AM
bobkberg
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 20
Although it's some years later, I just downloaded and played this one (April, 2007) - It's a good one!!

Thanks Erik!

Bob

04-03-2007 at 07:00 AM
CrazyDiamond
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 38
icon Re: Smallsome Swicks (+2)  
Some easy rooms and a couple of harder ones here, but what makes the hold worth to play is that it is classic in all ways (you know who the architect is ;) ). Indeed there are those kind of funny but not trivial puzzles which you can find in the KDD levels, it seems you are playing a new lost level from that dungeon again.

The rooms I liked most were 1S, 2S1E, and anyway, about the hidden room, yes: "Erik...is somewhat nifty." :)
12-27-2013 at 04:14 PM
mauvebutterfly
Rank Points: 720
There are some really cool rooms here, and it's nice to see some old-school invisibility puzzles. The invisibility potion seems like an underused element these days and it can be fun to play around with. The puzzles themselves are mostly of the lynchpin variety, and they definitely made me stop and think.

That being said, the best room here is probably 1S, despite not having an invisibility potion at all. In fact, I'd say that 1S is worth playing this hold for on its own. I really enjoyed this room.

11-19-2017 at 02:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Smallsome Swicks (Puzzles that mostly involve invisibility potions.) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com