Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition) (Assorted puzzles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

7.9/10 (28 votes)
σ 1.09
Author Name:Eytan
Submitted By:eytanz
Hold Name:The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition)
Theme:Assorted puzzles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:43
Number of Monsters:861
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Tomb of Nomb Special DVD Edition.hold (26 KB)
Downloaded 3150 times.
License: Other
icon The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition)  
The Tomb of Nomb - Special DVD Edition!!!

Featuring such new features as:
:) The all new Architect's Cut of Tomb of Nomb (okay, okay, it's basically the old version + some new checkpoints)
:glasses New Architect's Commentary - Learn the history of the hold, as you play it!
:P EXTRA SPECIAL BONUS SHORT FEATURE: The very first fan-made hold ever, The Old Sewers of Blorn - not available anywhere else!
:look Fully interactive Title Menu!

If you've never played the Tomb of Nomb, now is your chance! If you've played it before, you can relive the early days of the beta, revisiting rooms you've forgotten, and reading the commentary scrolls!

Critical Reception to The Tomb of Nomb:
Probably enough in it for 2 levels ... Very well made and some devious puzzles there. - Scott
It won't import into Build 29, the file is corrupted. - Krammer

Critical Reception to The Old Sewers of Blorn:
I had a lot of fun with this one ... I'll go out of my way to play other stuff that Eytan comes up with - Erik Hermansen
It's a great level considering it's roach-only - Krammer
I found a bug - Mike Rimer
11-18-2003 at 06:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition) (0)  
Note to people unfamiliar with this hold -

The monster and level counts above are deceptive; two of the levels are identical except that one version has "commentary" scrolls.

11-18-2003 at 06:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
eytanz wrote:
I don't remember this hold that well, it's been a while - but I'm pretty sure it wasn't easier than Dugan's Dungeon...

You know, I think I could say the same for your hold. :P Well, it's close, but definitely a bit harder.

Edit: after looking through the completed hold to rate it, I think it is a fair bit harder than Dugan's, if for no other room than the Tomb 2N 1E :evilmad: . But there were enough new puzzles and efficiency-requiring rooms that even if 2N 1E wasn't in there I would still give it a 6.5 in difficulty.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 11-18-2003 at 07:17 AM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-18-2003 at 07:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
True, this hold is more difficult than Dugan's Dungeon Revisited, so I had to rate DDR at a lower difficulty level than this one.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
11-18-2003 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
I this you should decide whether your hold is easier or harder than Dugan's before deciding whether it is easier or harder than someone else's hold. Especially the hold author, in my opinion.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-18-2003 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
I just noticed that the new smilies don't work quite as well as bullets - they're a bit bigger and the lines don't align as nicely as before. Also, the tar baby smiley is now smaller than the rest :(

11-23-2003 at 05:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
I tried a different alignment for the smilies. They look better as bullets than prior to my change, i think. And the smilies used in normal text seem fine too. Don't you think?

11-23-2003 at 05:48 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Yup. Thanks!

If I could ask for an extra favor - since I can't edit the post - could you replace the tar baby smiley in the last line with this one: :look

Edit: Thanks!

Eytan

[Edited by eytanz on 11-23-2003 at 11:30 PM GMT]

11-23-2003 at 05:52 AM
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
Just wanted to say I finished this hold today and found it quite excellent, especially the final 3 rooms very nicely done. I recommend this hold to all advanced players who don't want an utterly masochistic hold like so many I've tried... One East is kinda irritating, but other than that most rooms were quite fun.

And if you're a Mimic fan or a Tar Baby swarm fan, this is the hold for you.

So DL it already! What are you waiting for?

03-07-2004 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
icon Re: The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition) (+2)  
This hold is GREAT! Well, I had a lot of fun playing through the Tomb of Nomb anyway. This is the first hold, by far, that I've seen that is actually perfect in the balance of difficulty and interest. I mean, there has always been something wrong with some of the holds I tried (not many, but a few). They could've been great, in my opinion, if only the balance of difficulty and fun/interest wasn't messed up. Some of them were completely impossible to play through, and I stopped playing very quickly.

BUT The Tomb of Nomb was like an extra level of KDD or something...I wouldn't really say it was harder, but maybe about the same.

GOOD JOB Eytanz! :thumbsup

[Edited by MasterGiga at Local Time:04-26-2005 at 01:46 PM: Email Notification Off]

04-25-2005 at 05:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
:blush

Gee, thanks.

I hope you like Tomb of Nomb 2... Which will hopefully be done by the end of the summer.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:04-26-2005 at 01:22 PM]

04-26-2005 at 01:22 PM
MasterGiga
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 67
eytanz wrote:
:blush

Gee, thanks.

I hope you like Tomb of Nomb 2... Which will hopefully be done by the end of the summer.

[Edited by eytanz at Local Time:04-26-2005 at 01:22 PM]

Sure! Can't wait. :D

04-26-2005 at 01:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
icon Re: The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition) (+1)  
Well-designed hold!!
04-29-2005 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
icon Re: The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition) (+2)  
The bottom line: A very fun hold, with great tar rooms, and interesting mimic puzzles. I gave it a rating of 9, and 6 brains: I have found the mod to be harder than the average Dugan's level, but there was no room that truly annoyed me, unlike many rooms on levels 13, 15 and 23 in KDD.

A more thorought comment follows below: be warned there might be spoilers galore (depending on your own definition of a spoiler), so proceed at your own risks.

The mimic puzzles were rather fun, with some good ideas behind them (1N in particular). Their difficulty was adequate, with no hair-pulling room, but no truly easy rooms either (well, except the Entrance, but entrances are supposed to be easier than the rest of the level). If mimics could trigger waypoints in AE, an additional waypoint somewhere among the eyeballs would have been helpful; of course, now that DROD 2.0 is out, the current checkpoint is pretty much useless, but I was glad it was here when I played the hold under AE (though even then, it was fairly easy to get to the mimic potion).

The rooms from the "Nameless Hold" were among my favourites: more challenging than the ones before them, and quite original (2N, 2E springs to mind here). I found 2N, 1E to be pretty much enjoyable too, despite the lukewarm comment on the scroll about this room being the least popular. It makes for a very nice "race against the tar" room, something that's otherwise missing from the hold: though you do need to work quickly in other rooms, none of them has a "strict" timer.

The multi-part puzzle was a great idea, though I think the individual rooms themselves were a bit too easy compared to the tar rooms that you have faced just before. Still, those three rooms were fun, and the global puzzle worked very well. A checkpoint somewhere on a trapdoor in 3N, 1E may have been helpful though: perhaps I am just too quick to type before making a move, but I had a lot of trouble making the correct moves to remove all the trapdoors, even though I *knew* what had to be done to deal with each arrow.

The last three rooms, starting with 3N, 2E, were interesting, though I think they were somewhat easier than the Nameless rooms, and may have worked better before them, instead of closing the hold. 3N, 2E was my favourite of the three, with a very entertaining waltz 'round the level with babies in tow, and the race to find safety inside the tar. I cannot say I liked 4N, 2E nearly as much however: of all the tar rooms, it was the one that took least time to clear up, and by far. A brain and perhaps a few tar babies here and there would have helped spice up the room, I think: as it stands now, it is too easy to run for the Mother, with only a few babies standing in the way. I feel rather the same about 4N, 1E: the concept behind it was good, but the room was fairly easy once you got started (it did take me 1,000 moves to finish it, but it should be possible to improve that demo a lot).

Still, the hold was very good overall, being both fun and challenging at the same time; I don't think the difference in difficulty between the rooms was much of a problem, with easier rooms helping to get warmed up for those wicked rooms (swapping a few rooms around may result in a more even difficulty though).

Looking for Tomb of Nomb 2, and thanks for the hold.

[Last edited by Alneyan at 07-24-2005 06:12 PM]
07-24-2005 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
I just saw this review (been a while since I visited the holds forum) - thanks for the thoughful comments, and I'm glad you liked the hold.

Tomb of Nomb 2 is on hold at the moment, because I'm on the dev team for The City Beneath. Not only is making TCB levels somewhat a higher priority, but also some of the new features in DROD 3.0 will be very useful for the purposes of my plans for Nomb 2, so it'll be a while before it's out. I am working on another hold which is neither related to Nomb nor an official hold (but it might be Smitemaster's selection).

08-18-2005 at 03:53 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Tomb of Nomb (Special DVD Edition) (Assorted puzzles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com