Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : How People Are Getting Here
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon How People Are Getting Here (+3)  
I just got keys to the Caravel website control room and had a look around. (Why, you ask? It's important for my marketing work to see who's linking us and who's talking about us. There is a whole big spiel I could write about why this is important, but I'll spare you.)

Those who remember the days when the most popular search request was 'kittens' will be curious to know that one of the two most popular requests for getting to Caravel is drod. This is as it should be!

The other is dark angel. While it would be very neat if Jessica Alba played DROD, I suspect that those searching for Dark Angel gossip, or perhaps news of a feature film like its replacement, Firefly, got, will be disappointed by Caravel's offerings. But do not lose heart, Max fans! We too have an oppressive organisation in our fictional world that manipulates people's genes in order to mold them into desired roles. That's, that's sort of like Dark Angel, right?

Yeah, I guess there's just nothing like Jessica Alba kickin' people till they stop. Ah well, perhaps you will enjoy the game regardless.

So, what other surprising search terms do we have here? I do see sephiroth. I'm not sure why. I don't think there's too many links between Final Fantasy VII and DROD (for instance, one of them is still good oh yeah I went there), but both have swordsmen with spiky blonde hair and a ridiculously large sword. And I guess Beethro would be estuans interius ira vehementi, unless that's the closest thing to emo in Latin.

sith lords: perhaps this suggests that the DROD Origins game people are talking about in General is going to be very disappointing and contain an annoying CG character? :?

dunce: Look! DROD has pretty colours. And lightning! Aah! Scary!

funny graffiti: I guess the Caravel Forum is your source for funny graffiti? Perhaps we should play this one up for future releases. I like the one where you write 'receive bacon' next to the red wavy lines on the public toilet handdrier's instructions.

Think about it.

pwnt: Perilous Wooms of Nasty Things?

Okay, so that's enough of that. It's got statistics for which browsers visit Caravel Games, as well, but they're somewhat hard to collate because they're split up by operating system, and it looks like IE6 also splits up depending on .Net. I have no idea what the last sentence implies.

However, nearly 15% of all hits to CaravelNet come from DROD 3.0. This is far, far lower than it should be. Get to work, people!

Let's have a looksee at the top referrers are. These are the websites that people have come from, and this information is passed along to the new website. It's an easy way to track who's linked you. I see, apart from the obvious referrers from the forum, Google, Yahoo, Creative Commons and Plimus, I see that the Penny Arcade forum has been talking about us (hey guys!). I suspect some people have DROD as their homepage, as well. Yes, I can see that. We've got a couple of Myspace links, as well, but then this is not too surprising because Myspace links to everything.

Interestingly, we have a lot more hits coming from Finland and the Netherlands than we do actual users. Perhaps the Netherlands is overly interested in us because we have a character that shares their name? Perhaps the Finnish are too shy to join us here. I say, don't be shy, residents of Finland and the Netherlands! We are a welcoming people, and we desire trade! Trade of words, of ideas and jokes and insight, and possibly also your canned foods. We'll need them to survive the impending dystopian future where super-soldiers run free.

07-10-2007 at 10:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: How People Are Getting Here (0)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
I guess Beethro would be estuans interius ira vehementi, unless that's the closest thing to emo in Latin.
Beethro does slay things in heated anger (that phrase doesn't parse well - where'd you get it?), I suppose.

07-10-2007 at 09:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: How People Are Getting Here (0)  
Jatopian wrote:
(that phrase doesn't parse well - where'd you get it?)

Opening lyric from One Winged Angel, the song most frequently associated with Sephiroth.

It was a very silly joke. (It is a silly joke because not only do you have to know the lyrics to One Winged Angel, you have to know what they mean in Latin.)

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 07-11-2007 06:57 AM]
07-11-2007 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
icon Re: How People Are Getting Here (+2)  
Song: One Winged Angel
Performed By: Nobuo Uematsu

Latin                    English translation

Estuans interius         Burning inside
Ira vehementi            With violent anger
(x2)                     (x2)

Sephiroth!               Sephiroth!

Sors - immanis           Fate - monstrous
Et inanis                And empty

Veni veni venias         Come, come, O come
Ne me mori facias        Do not let me die
(x4)                     (x4)

Haryuu no                The winged one
hanekata                 Of the lower reaches

Veni veni venias         Come, come, O come
Ne me mori facias        Do not let me die
(x4)                     (x4)

A short excerpt from the battle song (wikipedia sample).

PS: And if you want to know why Sephiroth - that's why.

[Last edited by Maurog at 07-11-2007 11:40 AM]
07-11-2007 at 09:19 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
icon Re: How People Are Getting Here (+1)  
Mattcrampy wrote:
The other is dark angel. While it would be very neat if Jessica Alba played DROD, I suspect that those searching for Dark Angel gossip, or perhaps news of a feature film like its replacement, Firefly, got, will be disappointed by Caravel's offerings. But do not lose heart, Max fans! We too have an oppressive organisation in our fictional world that manipulates people's genes in order to mold them into desired roles. That's, that's sort of like Dark Angel, right?

Yeah, I guess there's just nothing like Jessica Alba kickin' people till they stop. Ah well, perhaps you will enjoy the game regardless.
I guess I could be the one to blame for that... take a look at the cached pages for extra highlighting... ;)

np: The Orb - Shem Version (Orb Sessions Volume 2)

07-15-2007 at 04:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : How People Are Getting Here
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com