Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : What to get first? (RE4, Zelda or WarioWare?)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
RE4, Zelda or WarioWare?
Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition
Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
WarioWare Smooth Moves
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Nillo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon What to get first? (0)  
The supply is starting to reach demand, so I've finally decided to buy a Wii. However I can't decide which game to get first. From what I've heard, Resident Evil 4, Twilight Princess and WarioWare are all must-haves, but I can only afford one right now.

RE4: I never got around to playing the one for the Gamecube, so maybe I should get this?

Twilight Princess: I've gotten kinda bored of the simple combat, rehashed plot and overall meh of Zelda games. Maybe this one is good anyway?

WarioWare: I've never played any WarioWare game, so all I know is that this is some sort of minigame collection.

Super Paper Mario isn't released here yet, in case you're wondering.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-08-2007 at 04:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
icon Re: What to get first? (0)  
Please don't vote on TP just because it's been hyped to death. Lots of people claimed Halo was perfect even though it had really boring levels and didn't innovate much, if at all. I'd like to know if you honestly think that I should get it first, even though I loathe A Link to the Past, stopped playing Wind Waker halfway through and got bored of Ocarina of Time after twenty minutes.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
07-08-2007 at 05:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Nillo wrote:
Please don't vote on TP just because it's been hyped to death. Lots of people claimed Halo was perfect even though it had really boring levels and didn't innovate much, if at all. I'd like to know if you honestly think that I should get it first, even though I loathe A Link to the Past, stopped playing Wind Waker halfway through and got bored of Ocarina of Time after twenty minutes.

Well then, get RE4.

I share your opinion on Halo: single-player was not up to Bungie's standards. I suspect that Zelda games are Not For You, and between RE4 and Warioware, and considering you haven't played RE4, I'd go with that.

But how could you loathe A Link to the Past? I don't understand. A solid 'meh', okay, but loathe?

07-08-2007 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
Well, if it hadn't received so much praise from just about everyone, I would say it was "meh". I just didn't see what was so good with it, and the "meh" turned into annoyance when people went on and on about how fantastic it was.

Can you tell me a bit more about RE4? Is it all about scary enemies and tension, or does it have interesting gameplay?

07-08-2007 at 05:47 PM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
WarioWare: Smooth Moves: It's obnoxious, funny, stupid, and crazy. Somehow, when these combine, they make a totally awesome game. 9/10.
Twilight Princess, for me, would get a big fat "meh". The first time you have to fish, for example, you're better off slouching around, talking to your friend. That thing isn't going to catch a fish at all. 4/10.
RE4: Never played it. Can't give it an informed rating. But I like FPS type games, and would probably give it an uninformed 7/10.

WarioWare wins.

Edit: When Super Paper Mario comes out in your area, you should get it. Sure, it doesn't have that RPG style battle in it, but it makes up for the crazy puzzles made from flipping from 2D to 3D. 9.5/10.

[Last edited by Monkey at 07-08-2007 06:24 PM]
07-08-2007 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Nillo
How long does it last single-player? Is it good for parties?

07-08-2007 at 06:39 PM
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
WarioWare is very brief. Save it for a rental. It's still a must-play, especially if you haven't played any of the series.

07-08-2007 at 06:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Monkey
Yeah. I could beat WarioWare Smooth Moves in an hour. As for parties... it depends. Mario Party 8 is better for multiplayer, though, but I'm not going into detail there.

07-08-2007 at 07:07 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
RE4 isn't exactly an FPS. It's a survival horror game with pronounced action elements. The gameplay's quite good, much more fluid than the previous entries in the series (and the Wiimote helps with this as well).

07-09-2007 at 02:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Based on Nillo's opinions, I voted for RE4. I own the Gamecube version but I'll be buying the Wii version soon enough for the control scheme and the new content. I bought the original at a bargain price and never finished it, so I don't feel so bad. It really is a good game, I just stopped playing it for a while and never got back into it.

However, if the question were more which one I would choose for myself, it would have been Zelda, because I enjoyed it a lot and played it through to the end, which as mentioned above is more than I can say for RE4.

I also own WarioWare, and it's a good game, but it should definitely not be the only game that one owns for the Wii. A rental is probably best.

I would recommend Excite Truck if you like racing games...the control scheme works surprisingly well and there is 2-player split screen if you have a friend handy.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-09-2007 at 03:18 AM
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
Well, everyone seems to love Resident Evil 4 (and I don't just mean here), so that'd be my pick. I myself played a little tiny bit of it on Gamecube, PS2, and PC, and could never find a control setup that I was sufficiently comfortable with to survive that village in the first level. It looks like a really neat game but with stupid finicky joystick aiming and a deep reliance on locational damage it was not working for me. I really, really, really wanted the PC version to have mouse aim, but it doesn't and the "mouse aim" fan patch just maps the mouse as a joystick, which is a kludge that has serious downsides on any sensitivity level. So the Wii remote control scheme sounds like it should be exactly what I'm looking for and would be the definitive version of the game even if it didn't have the PS2 extras with the Gamecube's graphics (which was the previous best-looking version).

Twilight Princess looks neat, but it doesn't sound like Zelda's actually evolved significantly over the years with the exceptions of Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time. So it's more of the same, albeit a same that's generally considered to be top-notch. (I've been addicted to Link's Awakening for Gameboy, but not otherwise experienced the series really.)

And Warioware...I'm sure it's fun but you can get Warioware games for the handhelds that are probably much cheaper at this point. Not using motion sensing, though, granted.
07-09-2007 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Nillo
I liked Link's Awakening a lot, actually, but it might just be because it was one of the first I played and the gameplay hadn't gotten old yet. It was many years ago, but I remember playing it for a long time and coming as far as a room in one of the last levels,
Click here to view the secret text

Anyway, thanks for the comments, everyone. I have decided on a plan: I'll get RE4, then I'll get WarioWare next month, and I'll get Twilight Princess when I'm finished with RE4.

07-09-2007 at 12:57 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Here's what you do in that situation in Link's Awakening.

07-09-2007 at 02:32 PM
Nillo

07-09-2007 at 02:45 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
An aside -- the fishing in Twilight Princess sure seemed sticky at first glance. I think they did a poor job of explaining how to actually go about doing it at the beginning of the game. Here I was, sitting around for minutes on end, waiting to catch a fish, but it appears all you have to do is flip your pole up when a fish gets close to it and you grab it pretty much automatically. At least, that's how it seems to me now. Redoing that part, I can catch a fish in no more than 10-15 seconds consistently. I guess my point is that it's not as bad as it seems -- there's just that "gulf of evaluation" there, where the player doesn't realize what's actually going on in the game's "brain".

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-09-2007 at 07:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Agreed.
07-09-2007 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
geomatrx
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: What to get first? (+1)  
Nillo, i think you have made a wise choice.

Last Christmas, I received both RE4 and Zelda:TP for the gamecube.

Now, I am a seasoned Zelda player (Zelda II, ALTtP, Link's Awakening, tOoT, MM), and only really enjoyed Resident Evil 2 (Beat number one and remake on the GC, but never played any other titles).

Anyway, the first game of the two I played was Zelda. I played for maybe 3 hours and didn't really get anywhere. This is a huge game, but I got a bit bored, so turned it off and played RE4.

I never stopped playing this game for a solid 3 months. I had beaten it over 6 times and unlocked all the secrets before I went back to Zelda.

I think I resumed Zelda in April, and had beaten it by May. I have since played both titles in equal measures, beaten RE4 over a dozen times, Zelda TP three times.

MetDROiD Echoes
Deadly Gold Mine of Death (Architecture)

[Last edited by geomatrx at 07-17-2007 12:03 PM]
07-17-2007 at 11:56 AM
Krissan
Rank Points: 89
I recognize your reaction to a super-hyped game that wasn't what you expected, although I'm a huge Zelda fan (of the old days at least, haven't played Majora's Mask, Wind Waker or Twilight Princess yet).

Just to give you a warning about RE4 - it's not really like the other RE games. I loved everything about the earlier games - the story, the zombies, the controls and the general gameplay elements and everything in between. The reviews for RE4 praised it to the skies, and it really is an awesome action game. But that's just it - it's more action oriented and doesn't have the RE "feel". It's one of the best PS2 games I've played, but don't go into it expecting it to be just like the earlier games.

07-22-2007 at 01:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
roach strangler
Rank Points: 57
Legend:
:thumbsup 5
:yes 4
:huh 3
:no 2
:thumbsdown 1

Resident Evil 4: get it if you didn't beat it. Because then you already know what's gonna happen. It kind of takes the fun out of the game. Personally This is my favourite choice (Well I do own the GC edition):thumbsup

Wario ware: It's a fun game I think it's a little to childish. I like the game it's pretty good. :huh

Zelda: The graphics are well "iffy" to say in a right term. The problem is for Zelda: TP is that it was originally made for the gamecube. So it has the graphics of a gamecube but the controls of a Wii. :huh

WAIT! What about Super Paper Mario! :~(

[Last edited by roach strangler at 07-22-2007 08:47 PM]
07-22-2007 at 08:39 PM
golfrman
Rank Points: 165
roach strangler wrote:
WAIT! What about Super Paper Mario! :~(

Nillo wrote:
Super Paper Mario isn't released here yet, in case you're wondering.
:whistle

07-25-2007 at 03:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I bought a Wii a couple of Wiiks ago, and coincidentally the first two games I purchased were Wario & Zelda.

They are both fun.
07-25-2007 at 08:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bobpie
Rank Points: 54
just got RE4 for Wii, despite Leon's diability to strafe and other stuff, it is a excellent game.
08-01-2007 at 06:03 PM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Bobpie wrote:
just got RE4 for Wii, despite Leon's diability to strafe and other stuff, it is a excellent game.
Just wanted to point out that Leon's inability to strafe is not a Wii-specific feature; the game is not meant to be a pure FPS. This isn't to say that I wouldn't have liked to strafe, but it seems that games like this (with Eternal Darkness being my only other example) aren't really meant to have the full FPS feature-set, being much slower-paced.

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-01-2007 at 10:30 PM
Hikari
Rank Points: 438
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it impossible to, y'know, *move* while you've got your gun out on Resident Evil games?

08-02-2007 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Nillo
Alright, I don't want to start a new thread already, but I have a simple question.

Pokémon Diamond & Pearl are now available in Europe and I'd like to play those. However, after carrying around the DS in my pocket for several years, the L/R buttons have stopped functioning, and I'd rather not get a Lite or have it repaired right now if I can avoid it. Do you need the L/R buttons to play Pokémon Diamond/Pearl?

08-04-2007 at 01:37 PM
Bobpie
Rank Points: 54
Oneiromancer wrote:
Just wanted to point out that Leon's inability to strafe is not a Wii-specific feature; the game is not meant to be a pure FPS. This isn't to say that I wouldn't have liked to strafe, but it seems that games like this (with Eternal Darkness being my only other example) aren't really meant to have the full FPS feature-set, being much slower-paced.
I didn't mean to refer to RE4 Wii version to have this problem, I know this is a common thing in all versions.

As forNillo, I haven't played Pokemon D or P, and i don't even have a DS, but all the Pokemon games I have played don't use the L or R. I wouldn't make a decision on my opinion though.
08-06-2007 at 12:04 AM
Monkey
As far as I remember, Pokémon Diamond and Pearl doesn't use L or R(or don't need to).

[Last edited by Monkey at 08-06-2007 01:03 AM]
08-06-2007 at 01:02 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
If I remember correctly, L and R open the menus, so I'm not quite sure.
08-06-2007 at 04:17 AM
Monkey
But you can set it so that "Start" opens the menus, through the options.

08-06-2007 at 05:40 PM
Abbyzzmal
Rank Points: 348
All three are excellent, and worth your time.

Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube was too difficult for me, but the Wii controls really opened it up, and I was pleased with the horde management throughout. It is a fabulous interactive zombie movie.

I like Zelda, and I enjoyed Twilight Princess, but it definitely did not seem as inspired as Majora's Mask or Wind Waker. If you are not a Zelda fan, Twilight Princess probably won't mean much to you. It's pretty much a love letter to people who were all into Ocarina.

WarioWare is fun for a few days. And then every once in a while. That is all there is to say about WarioWare.

Keeping in mind that Resident Evil 4 is 3/5 the price of the other two, I think getting that and a few Virtual Console titles would be the best value.

And as for Super Paper Mario: As you play through it, you will feel distinctly that the Game Developers want to make you suffer and waste as much time as they can make you. Their sadism results in some absurdist fun, and they do it very cleverly, but it might anger you from time to time.
08-15-2007 at 01:37 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : What to get first? (RE4, Zelda or WarioWare?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com