Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I Love Bulk E-Mail. (Need your help fixing the bulk e-mail.)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon I Love Bulk E-Mail. (0)  
We had a disaster with the last Illumination. Due to some flaw in our system, maybe half of the people on the Illumination mailing list were delivered redundant e-mail messages. Some people got as many as 18 messages that all said the same thing. And to make matter worse, I regrettably chose to title the newsletter message "Bulk e-mailing is good". Bulk e-mailing can be good, unless you screw it up like I did.

Jamie Jones and I are working now to fix the system. I would appreciate very much a number of volunteers to participate in one or more bulk-mailing tests. In fact, I need a whole bunch of people--maybe 30 or so. We need to try our bulk-mailing system out again and it is far too risky to run against the entire Illumination list again. I'm sure we caused a bunch of unsubscribes already.

So if you don't mind the possibility of getting tens of redundant messages delivered to your inbox over the next few weeks, please send an e-mail to erikh@caravelgames.com and put "I love bulk e-mail" in the subject line. That's all you have to do. I'm not even going to ask you later what mail you received (we can see who is receiving too many messages on our end). You'll just be put on a temporary testing list that we'll use in July. All of the messages will have subjects prefixed with "BULK E-MAIL TEST", so you can even add a filter to delete them automatically if you want.

So send erikh@caravelgames.com an e-mail with "I love bulk e-mail" in the subject line.

-Erik

07-04-2007 at 01:28 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: I Love Bulk E-Mail. (0)  
should I be on this test list if my problem is the opposite: that I got zero copies of the email?

07-04-2007 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
In
07-04-2007 at 05:34 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Email sent.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 07-06-2007 03:05 AM : clarity for eytanz]
07-04-2007 at 06:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
silver wrote:
should I be on this test list if my problem is the opposite: that I got zero copies of the email?
Yes, please.

The zero message problem is also important, btw, just not as important as the redundant message problem. If we don't solve redundant messages, we simply can't send out the Illumination by e-mail.

-Erik

07-04-2007 at 06:56 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
Count me in
07-04-2007 at 07:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
I'd love to join, but I'm going on holiday to Italy from this saturday to next sunday so I'll not be able to react to any problems... :(

[Last edited by Briareos at 07-04-2007 09:24 AM]
07-04-2007 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krissan
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 89
Getting spammed makes me feel important, so of course I've sent the mail :)

07-04-2007 at 10:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Briareos wrote:
I'd love to join, but I'm going on holiday to Italy from this saturday to next sunday so I'll not be able to react to any problems... :(
All they need is addresses to send it to.

[Last edited by NiroZ at 07-04-2007 11:06 AM]
07-04-2007 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: I Love Bulk E-Mail. (-1)  
Briareos wrote:
Based on what Erik said, I think the only "problem" you'd have to react to personally is cleaning out a few dozen messages from your inbox once you get back.

I'd be fine with participating, by the way, except that I don't want to defraud myself with the required subject line message (and "love" is way too strong a word for me to pen in this instance).

++Adam H. Peterson
07-04-2007 at 11:11 AM
Briareos
AlefBet wrote:
Briareos wrote:
Based on what Erik said, I think the only "problem" you'd have to react to personally is cleaning out a few dozen messages from your inbox once you get back.
Ummm... I'm pretty sure they'll want to have feedback about when how much email arrived...

07-04-2007 at 11:44 AM
Tuttle
Rank Points: 1545
icon Re: I Love Bulk E-Mail. (+1)  
Nope:
ErikH2000 wrote:
That's all you have to do. I'm not even going to ask you later what mail you received (we can see who is receiving too many messages on our end).
07-04-2007 at 12:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
No, Erik said explicitly that they don't need that, because they can tell how much mail was actually sent per person.

07-04-2007 at 12:16 PM
Briareos
eytanz wrote:
No, Erik said explicitly that they don't need that, because they can tell how much mail was actually sent per person.
Errr... oops.

Well, count me in then. Just promise me not to flood my 25GB of space that I have left while I'm away, okay? :D

07-04-2007 at 12:36 PM
silver
well, then count me in

07-04-2007 at 01:16 PM
UrAvgAzn
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 468
I'm in.

Keep posting,

07-04-2007 at 02:42 PM
Dex Stewart
Rank Points: 355
So am I.
07-04-2007 at 03:37 PM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: I Love Bulk E-Mail. (+2)  
silver wrote:

There were some other issues that stopped some messages being delivered - these have now been sorted out. If you send me your email address to jamiej@caravelgames.com then I'll have a look through the logs to see why yours didn't get through, and whether it's due to a problem already fixed.

Cheers

07-04-2007 at 03:57 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Um, sure, why not.
07-04-2007 at 09:37 PM
silver
you know what, ignore me. I just noticed there's a "subscribe to caravel.net news" checkbox on the profile page. I don't remember it being there, but it wasn't checked. so that explains the zero illuminations.

07-05-2007 at 01:44 AM
Monkey
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 190
"I love bulk e-mail"
That tells you: I'm in!

07-05-2007 at 04:13 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
silver wrote:
you know what, ignore me. I just noticed there's a "subscribe to caravel.net news" checkbox on the profile page. I don't remember it being there, but it wasn't checked. so that explains the zero illuminations.
Well, it's good to know I wasn't the only person this happened too. I can't figure out why the status of that box changed though....

07-05-2007 at 05:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Elfstone
Rank Points: 1285
Erik, I have just e-mailed as a volunteer. :yes

07-05-2007 at 10:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jamie
Rank Points: 365
Elfstone wrote:
Erik, I have just e-mailed as a volunteer. :yes

wooh! someone who read the original request correctly ;-) :D

07-06-2007 at 12:03 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
I'm hoping the people announcing participation above have all also sent emails...

For what it's worth, I signed up yesterday, but didn't announce it here.

07-06-2007 at 01:10 AM
ErikH2000
I have a decent number of e-mails on-hand, but would definitely like more. I think you can expect messages in the tens, but not hundreds, and only in July. And as I've said before, you don't need to do anything at all as far as feedback. So if you are interested, please send an e-mail to erikh@caravelgames.com with the subject "I Love Bulk E-Mail". In the interests of saving time, I won't be replying back to any e-mails.

Our first problem is reproducing the redundant delivery behavior. Jamie has been running tests where he sends a bunch of e-mails to himself, but he didn't get any redundancy. It might be necessary to use the list of people that "Love Bulk E-Mail" to create the right timing and state conditions. And it might be necessary for that list to be very large too. So the more e-mails I have the better.

-Erik

[Last edited by ErikH2000 at 07-06-2007 05:46 AM]
07-06-2007 at 05:45 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Would you like multiple addresses per spam... erh, per person? (I suppose I'm not the only one here who has more email addresses than there are atoms in the whole universe)

[Last edited by Alneyan at 07-06-2007 10:34 AM]
07-06-2007 at 09:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Yes, please. Multiple addresses (as long as you are the only person reading mail at those addresses) are good. Please just send them to me at erikh@caravelgames.com.

-Erik

07-06-2007 at 09:41 AM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
eytanz wrote:
I'm hoping the people announcing participation above have all also sent emails...

For what it's worth, I signed up yesterday, but didn't announce it here.

Same. I saw this topic in the early hours when it first appeared and posted an email promptly. I was sort of expecting people to reply to this topic and probably not read it properly. Didn't expect to give any feedback because he knows who's replied, and I'm eagerly awaiting the junk emails. So the excuse left for this reply?

BUMP! (beats a temporary sticky...)

Click here to view the secret text

07-06-2007 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
ErikH2000 wrote:
Yes, please. Multiple addresses (as long as you are the only person reading mail at those addresses) are good. Please just send them to me at erikh@caravelgames.com.

-Erik
What if it's a redirect to the same address (like my sourceforge address)?
07-06-2007 at 05:55 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : I Love Bulk E-Mail. (Need your help fixing the bulk e-mail.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com