Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Kotaku (Hurrah! The big leagues!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Kotaku (+2)  
We've got a Kotaku mention!

http://kotaku.com/gaming/poll/the-first-game-of-game-club-269750.php

Kotaku's one of the two big gaming blogs (the other is Joystiq) and they're running a Game Club right now, where everyone plays through the same game and they comment on it. DROD's one of the choices! (Even though they called us Deadly Rooms of Death, which is okay, I guess.)

The top two choices are Cave Story and Beyond Good & Evil, though. But still, awesome.

Edit: For a game that no-one there's heard of, it's doing pretty well. I suspect Crecente's a bit smitten, as he's mentioned it in passing in the daily summary as well.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 06-19-2007 05:17 AM]
06-19-2007 at 02:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
icon Re: Kotaku (0)  
It's got open voting! May we flood them, Mattcrampy, pleeeeease?
(We're also losing badly at the moment - 7.4% to the front-runner's 48.3%... and 937 total votes... we can't pull that off, can we?)

06-19-2007 at 04:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
icon Re: Kotaku (+2)  
No flooding, guys, that's mean. I mean, sure, go vote, but vote once! We're upstanding internet citizens, after all.

Besides, this is just the first poll, and I suspect that the editor of Kotaku wants to see DROD come up as part of the Game Club at some point. So we can wave hello and let people know about the game, but we don't really have to force the issue.

Besides, DROD is not a game for everyone. Some people just won't like it, and that's fine. The important thing, I think, is that we find the people who might like this sort of thing and put the game out in front of them. Let's not waste the time of people who just want to play something like Manhunt.

06-19-2007 at 04:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jatopian
Rank Points: 1842
Mattcrampy wrote:
No flooding, guys, that's mean. I mean, sure, go vote, but vote once!
That's what I meant - flood them with our superior numbers. The other doesn't work anyway. And frankly, if they didn't have a script in place to prevent repeat voters, they'd deserve what they got.

[Last edited by Jatopian at 06-19-2007 05:17 AM : subjunctive FTW]
06-19-2007 at 05:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
Excellent!

I put my vote in for DROD, being the mother of all puzzle games, but BG&E deserves all the recognition it gets. I've just played an hour or two into it, but what a swell game. What a cool story-environment!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
06-19-2007 at 05:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
BG&E is fantastic; however the fact that sequels are currently unlikely at best and the fact that the ending sets you up for said sequels mars it a tad. Even so, it's very much worth the playthrough.
06-19-2007 at 08:19 PM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Kotaku (+1)  
& voted.
Jatopian wrote:
And frankly, if they didn't have a script in place to prevent repeat voters, they'd deserve what they got.
Just because somebody deserves something, doesn't mean you have to give it to them.

06-20-2007 at 12:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
Rank Points: 1076
Voted.

NiroZ wrote:

Jatopian wrote:
And frankly, if they didn't have a script in place to prevent repeat voters, they'd deserve what they got.
Just because somebody deserves something, doesn't mean you have to give it to them.

It's still fun though! ;)

06-20-2007 at 07:21 AM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Kotaku (+1)  
Hmm. I like that particular screenshot. It's got a "what the !@#!& am I looking at?" quality.

-Erik

06-20-2007 at 05:03 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
ErikH2000 wrote:
Hmm. I like that particular screenshot. It's got a "what the !@#!& am I looking at?" quality.

-Erik

I'm curious to see if we saw any additional sales in the last couple of days.

06-20-2007 at 05:48 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
Well, for me this page had mainly a "WTF is the friggin' poll?" quality.

WTF do they need JavaScript from a different site for just to run a simple poll? It doesn't even have a fancy interface, so what's the JavaScript for? I say, when I was young all we had was a few radiobutton-INPUTs and a SUBMIT button, and we liked it!!1! :nerd

So, in short, after figuring out which of the 10 or so non-Kotaku sites to allow JavaScript for I finally added my vote for TCB... but still, stuff like that gives sites bad karma with me.

np: Speedy J - Treatments (G Spot)

06-20-2007 at 08:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
AtkinsSJ
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 107
ErikH2000 wrote:

-Erik
That's just what went through my mind when I saw it, except without the '!@#!&' bit. :P I guess I need to play TCB further. But GAH! The briars...
06-21-2007 at 11:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
Well, hey, even if DROD isn't winning out in the poll, it's the screenshot for the article. That's something. :)

I'd love for it to get the exposure, but I don't know if I see DROD as the sort of game that would be suitable for that particular idea anyhow. Consider: The idea is discussion. DROD is certainly discussable, but I think it may not offer quite as rich a fodder for discussion as some of the other games presented in the poll.

More importantly, though - I gather that the idea is that people play, well, substantial portions anyway, if not the whole thing. Otherwise you don't have a solid framework for discussion. ....how many people do you see getting through TCB in a month?
06-26-2007 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
I don't know, I think there's plenty of discussion to be had in DROD. It's in many ways a very pure game, in that it's avoided cruelty as much as possible, and it's very different to other games so there's much more to discuss. (I find the variety in the monsters very inspiring, and it's tremendously disappointing when you go to other games and they all act like roaches, or roaches but stronger. Or maybe goblins.)

06-26-2007 at 10:20 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
(I find the variety in the monsters very inspiring, and it's tremendously disappointing when you go to other games and they all act like roaches, or roaches but stronger. Or maybe goblins.)
Now that you've mentioned it, most games do seem to have a 'enemy' mold, that everything fits into, often with just an add-on here or there (usually a different weapon), often with a few 'this surface/area hurts you' being the only significant variation.

Then again, the particular vein of gaming that DROD holds has fewer competitors, which mostly explains that quirk. I mean, you could easily make whole different games based on tar mothers, goblins, aumtliches, trapdoors and bomb puzzles. Then again, some people have (especially trapdoors).
06-26-2007 at 11:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Hell, snakes alone would be nice (snakes filling two roles - an enemy that gets in the way and an enemy you have to use the environment to kill).

06-26-2007 at 03:32 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Press Clippings : Kotaku (Hurrah! The big leagues!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com