Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Clones that have separate character roles (beware: length-increasing examples aplenty)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kwakstur
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 385
IP: Logged
icon Clones that have separate character roles (+2)  
So, you see, I want to make puzzles where Beethro and Halph work together. The player is supposed to be able to control them both. But it's almost impossible to get what I want.

Now, to make some contrast, look at Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

In Portrait of Ruin, when you switch from, say, Jonathan to Charlotte, Charlotte appears exactly where Jonathan was. Jonathan just disappears.
Now, in DROD, this is simulated as easily as having an NPC switch character roles.

In Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, if you have all pokemon set to "Wait Here", then here's how it works: You might be controlling Treecko, with Pikachu and Jigglypuff sitting idly. Then you choose to switch leaders. Treecko stays where he is, and now Pikachu can be moved. If any enemies start attacking Jigglypuff or Treecko, you might want to switch leaders again. Now, I know that setting all the characters to "Wait Here" is a dumb thing to do, but it shows how my desired system works.
This can be done in DROD using clones, but clones are forced to have the same player role, so it's only like using a bunch of the same Pokemon.

I would like to be able to make these kind of puzzles. If player role is Halph, and there is an NPC Beethro, enemies go after the NPC Beethro. Wouldn't it be cool if you had to, say, leave Beethro behind and get Halph to do something before an enemy gets to Beethro? Instead, I either have to just make Beethro disappear (leaving no targets for enemies when I switch to Halph), or code it with an NPC (and it would be REALLY hard to have that NPC know where Beethro is so that he appears in that location).

06-03-2007 at 10:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 99
icon Re: Clones that have separate character roles (0)  
I agree. 100% behind you on this one.

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye
06-03-2007 at 10:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Rank Points: 479
Agree, reminds me of my idea, called Halph Potion, where you became halph.

06-04-2007 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kwakstur
Rank Points: 385
vittro wrote:
Agree, reminds me of my idea, called Halph Potion, where you became halph.
I think I remember that one. You included it in a list of 20 elements that people tried to give feedback to all at once. I was surprised to see the amount of people against that idea, though.

Although that idea is what inspired me to make these Beethro-Halph puzzles, but, alas, there is nothing I can do about them.

06-04-2007 at 10:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Rank Points: 392
I like this idea. It could be a variable clone monster, which when placed, asks you to choose the role for the clone. Or also, there could be a simple script command, say, 'Player commands...' and then a list of different players, so that instead of changing the player graphic and keeping the player in the same place, the player moves and the graphic changes to the clone type.

06-05-2007 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
icon Re: Clones that have separate character roles (+1)  
I think this could be done well by just making any script command that affects a player (Or just player role) allow you to select either a clone potion, a pre-placed clone, or Beethro for it to affect.

06-07-2007 at 09:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Clones that have separate character roles (beware: length-increasing examples aplenty)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com