Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Playing Card Game
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
IP: Logged
icon DROD Playing Card Game (+1)  
How about a DROD Trading/Playing Card Game? I've included a few ideas for cards, a basic idea of statistics and two prototype cards. You'll have to forgive the shoddiness of my design though, I'm not very good at art.

06-01-2007 at 04:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: DROD Playing Card Game (0)  
Man, I always loved trading cards games. I play Magic, and a few years ago I played Yu-Gi-Oh. I consider myself a veteran.
Wanna do a team? I could make all the art, and we togheter could think about the game rules.

P.S. Drod JTRH or TCB portrait needs Erik's permission.

06-01-2007 at 07:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Could do. I'm no good at art anyway, even though I've got a load of professional programs which I don't know how to use.

06-01-2007 at 07:56 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Bobpie
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 54
I kinda like the idea.
Much like vittro i am a vetran in TCG, currently on World of Warcraft cards.
If you do this, i would really like to get in on the action.

Lets hear it for a portable orb card!
06-01-2007 at 07:58 PM
vittro

File: template.png (46.6 KB)
Downloaded 1301 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD Playing Card Game (+1)  
Working on the template. It fits TCB and JTRH portraits perfectly.

[Last edited by vittro at 06-01-2007 08:28 PM]
06-01-2007 at 08:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro

File: template.png (66.1 KB)
Downloaded 1284 times.
The first test. The basic idea is :

The "+" value means the creature's health.
The "sword" value means the attack chance.
The "shield" value means the block chance.

The game will be based on dices. Two 6 faces dices. Let's do the example with my card. Each turn, all the creatures attack. Beethro has got a 1-2-3-4-5-6-7 chance to attack, but if the number is 8-9-10-11-12 he won't attack. Same thing for block. His attack power will be the rolled number. Examples :

---

Beethro's Owner (BsO) roll the die = 11 ( Beethro won't attack )
BsO roll the die = 5 ( Beethro will block 5 attack power )

( ENEMY OWNS NEATHER, WITH SAME BEETHRO STATS )

Enemy roll the die = 6 ( Neather attacks for 6 points )
[Beethro blocks Neather for 5 point. The BsO will be damaged for 1 point]
Enemy roll the die = 12 ( Neather won't block )

---

The attack order ( which monster should attack, or block, first ) will be selected by the monsters' owner.

---

Each card will have a cost, determined by die rolls. Example :

The cost is : 6 - 10 - 10

The player must roll the dices 3 times. If he gets a number from 1 to 6, and then from 1 to 10, and finally from 1 to 10, the monster will be player.

---

P.S. The upper-right corner is for the effect.

[Last edited by vittro at 06-02-2007 11:19 AM]
06-01-2007 at 09:03 PM
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
It should be noted that 1d12 is not the same as 2d6.

06-01-2007 at 10:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
AlefBet
Rank Points: 979
icon Re: DROD Playing Card Game (+2)  
RoboBob3000 wrote:
It should be noted that 1d12 is not the same as 2d6.
I was going to point this out, too. The histogram for 1d12 is:
0.250|
     |
     |
0.167|
     |
     |
0.083| ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##
     | ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##
     | ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##
0    |====================================
     |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12
while the histogram for 2d6 is:
0.250|
     |
     |
0.167|                   ##
     |                ## ## ##
     |             ## ## ## ## ##
0.083|          ## ## ## ## ## ## ##
     |       ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##
     |    ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ## ##
0    |====================================
     |  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 10 11 12
(Note that it's impossible to roll a 1, for example.)

You can get 1d12 from 1d6 and 1d2 -- that is, roll a die and flip a coin. If the coin comes up heads, add 6 to the die.

++Adam H. Peterson

[Last edited by AlefBet at 06-01-2007 11:57 PM]
06-01-2007 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro

File: comparison.jpg (35.6 KB)
Downloaded 1221 times.
AlefBet wrote:
Awesome graphs and info.

Thank you, the new official rule will be ( under Pilchard's Permission ) two 6 faced dices. Have a mod for all the graphs.

Size comparison with M:TG

I've got a problem now : wouldn't it be better with 2 16-faced dices? Or else all the monsters won't have so different attacks...
And another problem : there isn't the space to write a full effect... The upper-right bar is too small.

[Last edited by vittro at 06-02-2007 11:38 AM]
06-02-2007 at 11:20 AM
zonhin
Rank Points: 99
I've got an idea for a DROD card game.

The playing mat would be four rows of five cards each, with a small gap in the center. No creature can cross this gap.
At the start of a turn, you can choose to draw one card into your hand. You can have a maximum of five in your hand at a time. (This doesn't count monsters that are already on the playing mat.) Each turn, you can call one card to each of the bottom corner squares on your side (Called a "Staircase"). Cards come in three flavors: Effects, Creatures, and Architectures. Effects are things like mimic potions and the like. They take up the corner for one turn, and give a limited effect on the field during that time. Creatures are your typical cards, each turn, they move once according to a set of rules. If you are next to an enemy creature, you can attack. To attack, roll 1d6 plus the creature's attack score, and the opponent rolls 1d6 plus his defense. If the attacker's attack roll is higher then the defender's defense roll, then you kill it. if not, the creature can move one space in any direction. A creature can be attacked, but not attack, more then once during a turn.
Finally, architectures are static terrain features that can only be crossed by certain creatures. The architectures stay in the staircase for one turn. After that you can place it anywhere on the board.
Only Architectures can exist on your opponents side.
Each card has a cost, measured in points. You can have a maximum of 100 points worth of cards in a deck.

Card Samples

Creature: Beethro
: Picture :
Atk: 5
Def: 3
Cost: 8

You can only have one of these cards in your
deck at a time

Beethro straightened with pride. "Not to
fear. I am a trained professional from a long line of dungeon
exterminators. I combine five generations of passed-down
knowledge with the most state-of-the-art equipment to offer
efficient extermination service at an affordable price.
Beethro the Delver Part I

Creature: Roach
Atk: 2
Def: 2
Cost: 4

"Those cockroaches are as big as I am!"
-Beethro Budkin, upon first sight of dungeon roaches

Creature: Citizen
Atk: 0
Def:-1
Cost: 5

When a relay station is built, the citizen can sacrifice itself to create or destroy an architecture at any distance.

Effect: Speed potion
All creatures on your side move twice this turn.

Cost: 10

Architecture: Wall
List of creatures that can pass:
Seep

Cost: 12

Architecture: Orthogonal Square
No creature can move diagonally from or to this architecture.

Cost: 8

Till time went and told me to say hello but wave goodbye

[Last edited by zonhin at 06-02-2007 01:19 PM]
06-02-2007 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro

File: test1.png (118.9 KB)
Downloaded 1129 times.
Zohnin, I like your rules, but that seems more like a board game to me. Anyway, there are the new templates and the potion type card.

The potion card will enchant a creature selected by the owner. The creature will increase his stats by the stats on the potion card ( in this case 10 health ). If the potion card has got an effect, it will stay X turns, where X is determined in the effect.

[Last edited by vittro at 06-02-2007 01:37 PM]
06-02-2007 at 01:37 PM
zonhin
I guess. But it has only two rows, and you can only attack on the front row. Think of it like a creature defending. They lose the ability to attack in favor of safety.

Edit: I'm going to need somebody to actually MAKE the cards for me, as I have no talent whatsoever when it comes to these things.

[Last edited by zonhin at 06-02-2007 02:17 PM]
06-02-2007 at 01:41 PM
Ravon
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
zonhin wrote:

Y'know, it's funny, me and my friends just sat down and made a card game very similar to the one you describe.

One thing we found out, however is that too much horizontal movement gets very confusing, very fast. Try it out a couple ways, of course, and ours had multiple creatures per square, but keep that in mind.

Also, what if you could enter your opponents side, and the objective was to get to their staircase. You could even have a hero that starts in play, and returns to it's starting position when it dies (think brain vs. beethro or something). This hero would be necessary to win (by getting it to their staircase, if that wasn't clear).

06-02-2007 at 06:23 PM
Pilchard VIII
I like the ideas, but where has my zip file gone?

I hate to break the ideas, but I think a dice idea would be a bit complex. I mean, what about those without die? I originally hoped to have it as sort of an amalgamation of Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh! In the sense that you summon cards in the same way as in Yu-Gi-Oh!, but the life system and basic idea of playing the cards in general is the same as that in Magic.

But who am I to hold back on creativity and expansion?

PS. I love the new card design Vittro. What program do you use?

06-02-2007 at 09:53 PM
vittro
Mine was only a idea :)

You're the boss, right?

I use Paint.Net, why don't you enter in MSN so we can talk freely?

06-02-2007 at 10:13 PM
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Why don't we just get some rules down for the game and then design card faces later? If someone with graphical design skills can design templates, it's possible to add a template to Magic Set Editor to allow anyone design how they look.
06-02-2007 at 11:04 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zonhin
Ravon wrote:
zonhin wrote:

Y'know, it's funny, me and my friends just sat down and made a card game very similar to the one you describe.

One thing we found out, however is that too much horizontal movement gets very confusing, very fast. Try it out a couple ways, of course, and ours had multiple creatures per square, but keep that in mind.

Also, what if you could enter your opponents side, and the objective was to get to their staircase. You could even have a hero that starts in play, and returns to it's starting position when it dies (think brain vs. beethro or something). This hero would be necessary to win (by getting it to their staircase, if that wasn't clear).

I like it, but that would make it too much like a board game, heck, I'm already pushing the boundaries. :?

[Last edited by zonhin at 06-03-2007 02:21 AM]
06-03-2007 at 02:20 AM
Curzon
Rank Points: 92
I think this is an interesting idea. I also am somewhat of a TCG veteran (i play for more than ten years now). Unfortunately I do not really have the time for this, but I wanted to say some general things that seem important to me:
To make something (in particular DROD) into a TCG it should be determined at the beginning, what that means. Do I want to make a TCG with the flavor of DROD (Beethro, really big sword, 46th slayer, 417 chair nailer, 500 feet long serpents,...) or do I want to capture the game feeling as well (puzzle solving, horde management, creature manipulation..)? If the second point is relevant, that would require a lot of thought. DROD is a single player game. TCG are two (or more) player games. You could interpret DROD as two player game if you count the architect as a "player". In that sense we should ask ourselves: Should the game be equal for both players (like Magic, Yu-Gi-oh) or should each player have a role ("architect", "delver") like the Star Wars game (one player plays light the other plays dark side, next game they switch sides). Another option is what the old Star Trek game did. That was both players playing both roles at the same time, each player had a team to solve missions (could be rooms) and had dilemmas to stop the opposing team from solving missions.

While writing this, a concept forms before my eyes, very similar to the star trek game: Both players have one ore more rooms for the opponent which contain one or more elements and are worth a number of points relative to their difficulty. While playing the delver part, you could help your Beethro by playing cards like "Backswipe", "Halph opens a door" or "Adder eats a monster" (playable only if the room contains an adder). The player reaching a certain number of points first would win.
Okay, I admit this is a little off your concept, but maybe you can use some ideas from it.

Another relevent point for TCGs is the resource management. This concept makes Magic to play so well. There are several resources (cards in hand, permanents on table, available mana, life, time)
These resources are all balanced (e.g: to play a powerful creatures you need a lot of mana, so usually this will happen late in the game).
06-03-2007 at 11:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
coppro wrote:
Why don't we just get some rules down for the game and then design card faces later? If someone with graphical design skills can design templates, it's possible to add a template to Magic Set Editor to allow anyone design how they look.

Oh, god. I use MSE, and do you know that adding a template is very hard? I may ask to someone, like Pichoro, that's a good programmer, to add them.

06-03-2007 at 11:32 AM
Pilchard VIII
Holy cow! What an idea. When it's done, and it's all been decided, we could, as Vittro said, challenge someone to program it, and possibly implement a CaravelNet-esque system into it for multiplayer games (Here's looking at you Mike)

06-03-2007 at 12:30 PM
vittro
Pilchard VIII wrote:
Holy cow! What an idea. When it's done, and it's all been decided, we could, as Vittro said, challenge someone to program it, and possibly implement a CaravelNet-esque system into it for multiplayer games (Here's looking at you Mike)

Well, MSE is only for Creation of the cards... Not for play.

06-03-2007 at 01:19 PM
vittro

:thumbsup YES! I finished the 4 basic templates.

Creatures : Beethro, Slayer, Roach, Roach Queen, ...
Actions : Open a door, Avoid, Jump, ...
Objects : Healing Potion, Greater Healing Potion, Defence Potion, Shield, Mighty Sword, ...
Tokens : Baby Roach, Wood Wall, Yellow Door, Yellow Unbreakable Door, Green Door, ...

More examples when I return, I'm going to the country now :)

06-03-2007 at 02:36 PM
vittro

File: Combo1.png (176.3 KB)
Downloaded 925 times.
Here's it. Sorry for posting in DROD MOBILE.

[Last edited by vittro at 06-03-2007 07:29 PM]
06-03-2007 at 07:29 PM
Ravon
zonhin wrote:
I like it, but that would make it too much like a board game, heck, I'm already pushing the boundaries. :?
I'm actually not sure that this is a bad thing. The whole, "play cards and attack" type thing has been done extremely well by games like magic. So well that there's really little room for variation within the theme.
06-03-2007 at 07:59 PM
vittro
I don't know. Pilchard's the boss and he should decide. Enter on msn!

06-03-2007 at 08:05 PM
zonhin
Ravon wrote:
zonhin wrote:
I'm actually not sure that this is a bad thing. The whole, "play cards and attack" type thing has been done extremely well by games like magic. So well that there's really little room for variation within the theme.

I see your point. Maybe wraithwings and other flying creatures could pass the center. (They'd be expensive though.) Maybe we can add an incomplete third row, housing only the stairs? (I like that actually.)

[Last edited by zonhin at 06-03-2007 09:48 PM]
06-03-2007 at 09:00 PM
vittro
Keeping my rules, I made another example of a combo.

06-03-2007 at 09:21 PM
Ravon
zonhin wrote:
I see your point. Maybe wraithwings and other flying creatures could pass the center. (They'd be expensive though.) Maybe we can add an incomplete third row, housing only the stairs? (I like that actually.)
So the center is really just a pit. I like it.

Also, two conversations in one thread get confusing fast... Starting a new thread.

Edit: Other thread...

[Last edited by Ravon at 06-03-2007 10:05 PM]
06-03-2007 at 10:02 PM
vittro
icon Re: DROD Playing Card Game (-1)  
Hey, hey, hey! Another thread is not needed! Why creating another thread of the same discussion where's already one? I'm not making the cards, mine's just an idea like yours, so I don't see why you should open a new thread. Pilchard's the creator of the thread and the idea, and I don't know why we should make a new thread for different ideas. Mine is only an idea. The templates could be used also for zohnin's idea. But Pilchard should decide. Please, moderator, could you merge the new thread in this one?

06-04-2007 at 11:43 AM
Ravon
I opened a new thread because there were two totally independant discussions going on. Two possibilities had been suggested that were very much fundamentally different. Input on one was not relevant to input on the other.

If you have suggestions for the other game, you are welcome to talk about them in the other thread.
06-04-2007 at 09:43 PM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD Playing Card Game
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com