Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hardest TCB room design contest (Unofficial)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
The spitemaster
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 354
IP: Logged
icon Hardest TCB room design contest (0)  
Overview: With all the new monsters in TCB there are tons of new difficulties that are not tapped. Create the hardest room you can possibly make.

Guidelines: Enter one hold in some fashion, to be decided(most likely a submittion topic or email it to me), by 05/06/2007. The hold needs to be anyone edit. Your room needs to have a solution that is under 20 min. For the sake of all the people playing the rooms, please follow all the guidelines for making a good hold. There is to be only one room in the hold. We will decide who wins by letting people play them one at a time. The person who's room has the lowest percentage of people who complete it will win.

Prizes:
1st place: Three points and the right to use any of the rooms submitted in any way they want.
2nd place: Four points and the satisfaction of almost coming first.
3rd place: One point for playing.

I wish that man would stay away

[Last edited by The spitemaster at 05-19-2007 08:09 PM]
05-19-2007 at 07:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3260
icon Re: Hardest TCB room design contest (0)  
The solution time limit is a very impractical solution. Say, I create a crazy million-move room, and execute the solution in-game with a program. I expect that wouldn't be okay with you, would it?

Maybe just a more sane move limit like in the variation Stefan ran earlier?
05-19-2007 at 07:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
The only problem with a move limit is that it kills lots of possible rooms. (Gel chews up a lot of moves) I think that I will put a five thousand move limit on the room.

05-19-2007 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
But what does "20 minutes" mean? That it takes 20 minutes for a player to physically make all the moves, though it might take six hours of experimenting to figure them out? Or that it takes twenty minutes from entering the room to conquering and leaving?

If it's the latter, whose twenty minutes--mine? Yours? Rabscuttle's? A newcomer's? And if it's the former, well, of the twenty longest rooms by move count, only four of them take more than twenty minutes in the fastest demo, and one of those is only by four seconds, so essentially any room under 6700 moves shouldn't take more than twenty minutes to enter the keystrokes for.
05-20-2007 at 05:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
I said that wrong. The purpose of saying that was to make people not make rooms that are too time consuming to finish. So, I want people to be able to finish the room in five-to-ten minuets if they know what they are doing. Is that all right?

05-20-2007 at 06:14 AM
halyavin
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 52
I think, that average player speed is 1.5-2 moves in second. So 20 minutes = 1200 seconds = 1800-2400 moves. I am afraid that even with 500 move limit almost all offered rooms would be impossible to solve.
05-20-2007 at 06:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
the average player speed includes lots of "hold down east until I get to the other side of the screen" type moves. LOTS of them. it's not really a measure of how long people think about moves which require thought.

05-20-2007 at 06:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
That was one of the reasons I said that. If I don't beat a room in twenty minutes, chances are I won't. I am debating on what I can accomplish with the ranking of the rooms. My original idea was to have people play them one by one. The percentage of the people that didn't beat the room would be the way they were marked. I just don't know if it is possible. Does anyone know if you can record when people download something?

05-20-2007 at 06:44 AM
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2460
The spitemaster wrote:
If I don't beat a room in twenty minutes, chances are I won't.
Yeah, but--to take a somewhat arbitrary measure of ability--your current player ranking is 108th; your average ranking in a room is 42nd. A room that takes me 20 minutes to puzzle through might take you much longer; a room that takes you 20 minutes to puzzle through might take someone fifty places below you on the high score table much longer.

So if I make a room and look at it and say, "I think this would have taken me about eight minutes," I still have no idea whether it's suitable for this contest, if the barometer is "a room that The Spitemaster can solve in 20 minutes". The criterion is simply too subjective, too impossible to judge.
05-20-2007 at 08:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3260
For the record, my *demo* for Rabscuttle's entry in Golbeno's Security System was some 45 minutes. You can be sure that the total time spent in the room was yet much higher than that. IIRC, we're talking about 4 hours+ here... Truly hard rooms will take a lot of time. If you want truly hard rooms, you can't limit the time.

The percentage thing seems rather tricky as well. You'd have to do something like sending the holds personally to everyone who says they want to play them. You can't keep track otherwise.
05-20-2007 at 08:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2486
I just redid the latest version of that room -> 23:46. Must speed up by 4 minutes!

[Last edited by Rabscuttle at 05-20-2007 09:45 AM]
05-20-2007 at 09:45 AM
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
I guess I have to give it a try.

Can't wander there not doing contest, this is weird.

I'll lose anyways, since there will be people like larrymurk and Doom there, I guess.

Well, you could always try a multiple choice poll asking if the player conquered the room.

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

[Last edited by Jeff_Ray... at 05-20-2007 02:15 PM]
05-20-2007 at 01:53 PM
Yellow_Mage
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
There needs to be another limitation other than time contraint to submit it. I can't think of a decent one I'm afraid. I was going to say something like you can only user 5 building materials or something like that but it might not be good enough.

I have two rooms I could use for this, one is approapriate is you can do it in under 5 minutes, but it took me several attempts that led up to over an hour.

You can make a horribly unfun room in which people do not want to play it at all, and you could win that way. Tar + trapdoors + mazes + tunnels + bombs = ah ma gawd! Something more blatant would be stupid scripting.

05-21-2007 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
icon Re: Hardest TCB room design contest (+1)  
I'm pretty sure this contest is about 13-18 months premature, anyway. What we need is some experience making TCB holds first.

05-21-2007 at 08:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
The spitemaster
I think that it would be best to let this hold collect moss until a later date. So I think wee will just leave it alone.

05-29-2007 at 02:21 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Hardest TCB room design contest (Unofficial)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com