Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Music recommendations
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
IP: Logged
icon Re: Music recommendations (0)  
Jingle71 wrote:
Make me smile: Queen-Killer Queen, Honorable mention: The All-American Rejects-Move Along
Heart-Break: (I don't really know any)
Woo-Hoo!: probably Queen-We Will Rock You, or Stroke 9- Little black backpack.
Goosebumps: Queen-Bohemian Rhapsody

(PS: Please no down-modding just because I like Queen.)
(PPS: Or my avatar.)

Oh my... you reallly think we're that mean? Trust me, we're a nice bunch. And even the slightly meaner (e.g. Ba... *ahem* Thalamsa) you will probably like, after getting used to them.
06-18-2007 at 11:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
Nothing wrong with liking Queen. I mean, one can take it too far and make a Tetris game based on Queen, but there's nothing wrong with liking a band, particularly one that's as popular as they are. Besides, I've never been keen on people who heckle others for their musical tastes.

06-19-2007 at 02:50 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
What's wrong with Queen? On another day, I'd have listed Crazy Little Thing Called Love or Fat Bottomed Girls (being one myself :D ) as one of my "Make Me Smile" songs. And there's nothing wrong with your avatar as far as I can see. Trust me, we're not that critical.

edit: oops, just noticed the page two answers to you already. Well, see...

[Last edited by noma at 06-20-2007 05:02 AM]
06-20-2007 at 05:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
I like Queen too. (I put it in italics because the Q looks cooler that way.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 06-21-2007 07:35 PM]
06-21-2007 at 07:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 184
Even putting the whole band in italics wouldn't be enough to make them look cool... :P

06-21-2007 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Dex Stewart wrote:
Oh my... you reallly think we're that mean? Trust me, we're a nice bunch. And even the slightly meaner (e.g. Ba... *ahem* Thalamsa) you will probably like, after getting used to them.

What the--Out of the two possible choices, you pick the one I don't use here, and misspell it?
06-22-2007 at 03:59 AM
Mattcrampy
Banjooie wrote:

What the--Out of the two possible choices, you pick the one I don't use here, and misspell it?

I think the point was more that we've got our eyes and tentacles out on the Web. No privacy for you, Banj.

WE ARE LEGION

WE ARE OUTSIDE YOUR WINDOW

THAT'S A LOVELY DRESS WHERE DID YOU GET IT

06-25-2007 at 07:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
malkav11
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 59
icon Re: Music recommendations (+2)  
Make Me Smile:
Your Horoscope for Today, Weird Al Yankovic, Running With Scissors: A lot of Weird Al makes me smile. This one is just supremely silly.
(And a lot like the Onion's horoscope, actually.)

Necro, Caroline's Spine, Monsoon:
"I'm a necrophiliac / close your eyes / no more laughter no more cries / I'm a necrophiliac / loving you live / loving you dead / Will you marry me? / No I don't think so."

Die Eier Von Satan, Tool, Aenima: The world's creepiest pastry recipe.

Cold Metal Dream, Channel, Burning Inside: Oh, that sexy android.

Pure Morning, Placebo, Without You I'm Nothing: "A friend in need's a friend indeed / a friend with weed is better / a friend with breasts and all the rest / a friend who's dressed in leather"

Break My Heart:
Don't Think of Me, Dido, No Angel:
I associate this song with the main character of Robin Hobb's Farseer Trilogy losing the great love of his life, which is just a heartbreaking sequence. (I heard this song pretty regularly while I was reading that part.)

Mad World (I'm not remembering who originally did it and I'm not thinking of their version anyway). Gorgeous song, played over the saddest part of Donnie Darko.

Room of Angel, Akira Yamaoka, Silent Hill 4 soundtrack:
Oh man. Just listen to the lyrics.

Woot!:
Stahlmania, Stahlhammer, Stahlmania:
Seriously driving German-language Austrian heavy metal. Premium headbanging material.

Ruf Mich An, Megaherz, Himmelfahrt:
Driving beats all about a phone sex line. In guttural German. Oh yeah.

Voices/The Game/Stupify/Down With the Sickness/Violence Fetish, Disturbed, The Sickness: There's some really neat stuff on later Disturbed albums, but these five songs or so are the ones that get me moving and singing and adding them to my custom Burnout soundtrack. Plus the lead singer's voice just isn't raw enough on the later stuff.

Anna Begins, Counting Crows, August and Everything After: Okay, so this isn't anything like the metal/hard rock I'm mostly putting in this category (very little makes me want to move like a good rock beat.) But it does make me very happy, even more so than most Counting Crows songs. In part because I associate it with a girl I used to work with named Anna who I liked very much. In part because it evokes exactly the feeling of falling in love (at least for me). Although it's a mutual love, which I've yet to experience.

Mouth (remix), Bush, An American Werewolf in Paris soundtrack: I've heard their standard mix of this song and it doesn't do anything in particular for me. But this one is weird and haunting and oooh so good. In fact, the whole soundtrack is something of a treasure trove, especially considering that it's to a pretty lousy movie. Also notable, the version of Caroline Spine's "Turned Blue", which is not identified as being any different than the standard version on the album it's from, but it's *much* creepier on the soundtrack.

Gives Me Goosebumps: Two categories here, since I have no idea what this is meant to mean.

So gorgeous it gives me chills:
Imagine, A Perfect Circle...whatever the remix album's called, I forget: Never heard the Lennon original, but this version I could listen to for ages.

I Have The Touch, Heather Nova, The Craft soundtrack:
No commentary here except to say that I have an unreasonable fondness for that movie.

Pretty When You Cry, VAST, no clue what album: Sonically gorgeous with an INSANE music video. Seriously. Also, very creepy.

King of Pain, The Police, Synchronicity: I *love* the imagery in this one.

The opening music for Metroid Prime: I used to just sit there at the title screen and listen to this loop.

"Inner Universe", the opening theme for Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex 1st gig: The mix of ethereal singing in Latin, Russian and English and techno background is hands down my favorite television theme ever. EVER. I just listened to it another five consecutive times.

"lilium", the opening theme for Elfen Lied: Also gorgeous.

Creepy:
Womb (any mix whatsoever), Wumpscut, (many albums): The voice mixing on the fetus singing....brr.

Mein Teil, Rammstein, Reise Reise: Some of my friends, perhaps not inappropriately, think Rammstein's songs are all creepy. This one particularly goes for a certain sonic menace. Plus it's about a guy who had a sexual fetish for eating people.

And that list is leaving out plenty.

[Last edited by malkav11 at 06-25-2007 10:03 AM]
06-25-2007 at 10:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jemann
Rank Points: 160
malkav11 wrote:
Gives Me Goosebumps: Two categories here, since I have no idea what this is meant to mean.
I can't really quantify my reaction to music into distinct emotions. I added this category for stuff that provokes a strong reaction, possibly an indefinable one. Sometimes it's the lyrics, sometimes the music, sometimes the interaction of both. (Hyperballad, as mentioned above, is a prime example). Personally, some music does give me goosebumps, which as a physiological response probably counts as 'strong'. It's entirely subjective; there are no wrong answers!
06-25-2007 at 12:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
BeefontheBone
Rank Points: 184
Mad World (I'm not remembering who originally did it and I'm not thinking of their version anyway). Gorgeous song, played over the saddest part of Donnie Darko.
Tears For Fears. Gary Jules' version is indeed better, and it really slams home the last bit of that film. There's a couple of different versions on the score album.

06-25-2007 at 12:43 PM
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Banjooie wrote:
Dex Stewart wrote:

Well, I didn't want to make it so obvious...
06-25-2007 at 02:25 PM
Mattcrampy
BeefontheBone wrote:
Tears For Fears. Gary Jules' version is indeed better, and it really slams home the last bit of that film. There's a couple of different versions on the score album.

There's one I heard used in an ad where a children's choir sings it. Is that one of the versions on the album, or was it done especially for the ad?

Also: love the opening theme to Metroid Prime, although the riff in the opening music for Metroid Prime 2 is even better.

06-25-2007 at 08:10 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Music recommendations
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com